Trying to give up or cut down on Sugar intake

Bonus

I found this in the second one.." Western diets rich in saturated fats cause obesity and insulin resistance"

I know it takes courage to admit that something this major could be wrong.

I'm not going to wade any further through a cesspit of links.

Over and out.

Anyone keen to argue with the above should read John Yudkin’s book, published in 1972.

https://books.google.co.za/books/about/Pure_White_and_Deadly.html?id=ikNDyhqdu-sC&redir_esc=y&hl=en

Scientist John Yudkin was the first to sound the alarm about the excess of sugar in the diet of modern Americans. His classic exposé, Pure, White, and Deadly, clearly and engagingly describes how sugar is damaging our bodies, why we eat so much of it, and what we can do to stop. He explores the ins and out of sugar, from the different types—is brown sugar really better than white?—to how it is hidden inside our everyday foods, and how it is harming our health.

In 1972, Yudkin was mostly ignored by the health industry and media, but the events of the last forty years have proven him spectacularly right. Yudkin’s insights are even more important and relevant now, with today’s record levels of obesity, than when they were first published.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this in the second one..Western diets rich in saturated fats cause obesity and insulin resistance"

I know it takes courage to admit that something this major could be wrong.

I'm not going to wade any further through a cesspit of links. 

Over and out. 

Simply provide credible sources where that has been disproven. Simple as that. 

Why ?  :whistling:   :devil:

How many people actually STICK to any particular eating program ?  :eek:

When I was diagnosed I had my session with the dietitian, then went home to the trusty old google .... MISTAKE !!!!!!

Very little of what you read about food on the internet is "totally wrong" .... however, MOST of it is totally without context .....

Even a (good) dietitian does not give the same advise to two different Type 2 patients !  A proper dietitian takes time to understand the "life" of their patient, then molds the standard eating plan to that person's life ....

THEN the fun starts ... is this person going to actually give it 100% co-operation, or just use the bits that fit into their lifes and wing the rest .....

Truth be told, even Banting gets a bad wrap from the half-followers ....

My googling got to a point where we had a very frank exchange of words ..... I made the very conscious decision to stop googling food, and to give the dietitian my 100% co-operation.

Two years, 1 month, and 19 days later I can say with 100% certainty the "classic diabetic eating plan" WORKS if followed to the T !!!

Sadly I can also say with certainty that it does not work when followed every so often for a few weeks here and there .. classic jo-jo-effect resulting in an ever increasing waste line ..... seeing this with a very dear friend of mine.

I can also confirm that in terms of medication I have stopped short of insulin injections, and am now at the classic "pre-diabetic" medication dosage.  And the doctor is monitoring the vitals to check for the day that this may no longer be needed ....

taking a step back, and looking at the bigger picture .... most modern eating plans have many common points:

- limiting intake of processed foods (we have reduced this almost altogether)

- reducing excessive sugar intake

- balancing carb intake with exercise levels

- most eating plans DO speak to the benefits of moderate and regular exercise !

If these guidelines are followed, and followed consistantly, most people will see a significant improvement in their health ... I am convinced of this, with absolutely no hard facts to back it up, except my own personal experience.

Why? Because they tell diabetics to eat carbs. Do you not see the contradiction?

OK, if that works for you, that's great. 

You just have not been diagnosed diabetic yet... but given enough time you will be - That's not to say that something else won't kill you first. ????

That is why I decided enough is enough. For too long my tastebuds ruled my life.

Staying overweight might trigger the response. By the way I was not bragging about the amount of coolies and chocs I consumed. It is actually sick when I think back how it ruled my life.

Cop out.

Perhaps you can share why you think Johann is wrong.

Would be great to see your sources of information.

I feel better when I eat very little sugar but I could never cut it out completely. My local spar has indervidual lindor balls for sale at the till so I buy one of those when I have a craving. My theroy is that it is better than a slab. I believe human nature is rebellious..the moment we tell ourselves we are not allowed to have something we want it even more. So Im working on not saying no to myself for anything....

Edited by blondeonabike

I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong with my simple understanding.

I am a Type 1 diabetic.

In the most basic terms, sugars either present themselves as glucose, fructose or sucrose. They are all carbohydrates. All carbohydrates become glucose once digested.

What matters is Glycemic Index (GI), carbs per 100 grams/ml, and fibre. And whether it's refined or natural.

I believe the OP was asking about refined sugar, or sucrose.

I always look at the grams carbs per 100 grams/ml to decide whether I should be eating/drinking something. E.g. Coke has about 11 g/100 ml, whereas Appletiser contains about 13 g/100 ml.

So somebody cutting back on "sugar", e.g. not drinking Coke, but consuming "fruit Juice", is actually taking in more carbs per 100 ml. The difference being one is sucrose-based and refined (Coke), whereas the other is not processed and is fructose based.

But Appletiser has a lower GI than Coke, so I'd chose that, but knowing it actually contains more "sugar" than Coke. 

Now I've confused myself.  

Already posted. Read the thread. 

Cop out.

Yes. Cop out.

I know who and where not to wrestle in the mud. 

@ChrisF

snip

Do NOT cut out carbs all together !!  Small amounts is very much part of a balanced diet !!  I now do find that some carbs trigger a "craving" for more food ....  low GI stuff seems to be okay for me.

snip

Can you explain this? Small amounts of carbs are part of a "balanced" diet? Even though they trigger food cravings?

Seriously, you have me confused.

Edited by johannrissik