Trying to give up or cut down on Sugar intake

Bonus

Yip I bought a Little Luxury water cooler at Dischem. I now drink three time more water. ( the water tastes good from Filter in the cooler) and stoped the sweets after dinner and I am making great progress. It’s not easy but I am am winning.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use water and I eat a LCHF diet. Works for me. (But I don't preach)

Instead of all the youtube inserts and I dont preach but I here’s my two cents comments, I am interested in this n=1 type of comment. What works for you and why? When do you lose weight when you do what?

A combo of lchf and paleo works for me. If I go cold turkey for two weeks, I lose weight. If I eat [emoji515] and [emoji517] I pick up weight quickly. I can ride for four hours on water only if I low carb in a disciplined way. My immune system is stronger than ever. Have not used an anti biotic in ten years. Instead of my two cents, thats my n=1

• 1 month later...

Nearly 4 months in and I seem to have settled into a nice routine now.

The first cup of tea I drink in the morning needs to have half a sugar in it but for the rest of the day I have tea / coffee without sugar, and I probably only have one or two cups a day after my "breakfast tea" anyway. (not working in an office helps with this a lot - used to go make a drink when I got bored)

Sweets are now an occasional treat and I've managed not to replace them with any other type of "junk" food. I did stray towards salty stuff for a while but I've reigned that in too.

Occasionally on a hot day I have a glass of Fanta orange. I've barely had a glass of coke for months. Sadly "fruit juices" can be as sugary as fizzy cooldrinks. Always read the label! 

I only ride with water nowadays - used to ride with power drinks. . . . .

:-)

How are you doing ?

Had my vitals checked this week.

October 2011 : 108kg

October 2016 : 84kg, 23% body fat (the result of 8 months of eating correctly, virtually no exercise up to this point)

At this point I started cycling 5 to 10km per week .... gradually increased it, the emphasis on regular rides, but still short rides.

February 2017 : 85kg, 17% body fat

October 2018 : 88kg, 15% body fat

slow and steady progress.  I am happy with where I am at, have been for the last year.  Now to keep up this life style.  There is absolutely no "end date", this is NOT some diet ....

How are you doing ?

Had my vitals checked this week.

October 2011 : 108kg

October 2016 : 84kg, 23% body fat (the result of 8 months of eating correctly, virtually no exercise up to this point)

At this point I started cycling 5 to 10km per week .... gradually increased it, the emphasis on regular rides, but still short rides.

February 2017 : 85kg, 17% body fat

October 2018 : 88kg, 15% body fat

slow and steady progress.  I am happy with where I am at, have been for the last year.  Now to keep up this life style.  There is absolutely no "end date", this is NOT some diet ....

Hi Chris,

I'm doing well. The routine is sticking and I'm happy. I ended up losing around 12kgs, although that was a happy side effect rather than my main concern. General health was my main concern - I was just eating way too much sugary stuff. I'm now hovering around 78kg with, I'd say, more strength on the bike than before. (Probably due to not lugging the extra 12 kegs around of course!)

As you say, life style not diet. And once it becomes a life style it doesn't need an end date.

• 1 month later...

Instead of all the youtube inserts and I dont preach but I here’s my two cents comments, I am interested in this n=1 type of comment. What works for you and why? When do you lose weight when you do what?

A combo of lchf and paleo works for me. If I go cold turkey for two weeks, I lose weight. If I eat [emoji515] and [emoji517] I pick up weight quickly. I can ride for four hours on water only if I low carb in a disciplined way. My immune system is stronger than ever. Have not used an anti biotic in ten years. Instead of my two cents, thats my n=1

That's because you're depleting your glycogen stores, which also results in a reduction of water retention. So you end up weighing less when you cut out carbs. Once you reintroduce carbs, your body starts storing glycogen and water and you have a in increase in weight. 

• 4 months later...

Sugar was worse than cigarettes. Worst addiction I’ve ever experienced.

Flakes & Red Bull. Had withdrawal for about two weeks. Headaches, dizzy spells, cranky as f.

5 weeks later I lost 6kg and kept it off. The best part is no more sugar crashes and wanting to nap at my desk. Not to mention the R3000 plus saving a month.

Just put it down and don’t fall for the “it’s my Sunday treat”. Relapse is real.

A while back I decided to cut down sugar intake and all processed foods amgonst others with an attempt to try the keto diet.

When I’m feeling a bit down I crack open a Coke No Sugar, (not light ) and that has been my savior (as well as some fatty droerwors). Although I’m sure it’s not the healthiest option it sure gets me feeling a bit more alive . But as maxxis said, you can’t fall for that “Sunday treat” , It will put you back to step one!

Perfect fix for fizzy drinks, angry water aka sparkling or soda water.

I figured out it was more the carbonated burn than the sugar that caught me.

Craving sweet? Cut up banana and sprinkle with coconut sugar. Massive win.

Eish, battle with sparkling water but might give it a try with some lemon! But thanks for the banana coconut sugar trick. Deff gonna give it a try!

I agree about the carbo-burn. It almost doesn't matter if it's Coke, Fanta or Sprite.

• 4 months later...

In the 16 odd months since I started this thread I've done pretty well. My weight is down by nearly 15kgs to 75kgs and I'm feeling good. Lighter on the bike, quicker on the hills and generally just feeling more healthy.

It isn't all just down to cutting back on sugar, I've reigned in my eating across the board - individual pizza instead of family size pizza for example.

Hasn't always been easy and I still have a treat now and then, but on the whole I'm doing ok.

:-)