Trying to give up or cut down on Sugar intake

Bonus

I found this in the second one..Western diets rich in saturated fats cause obesity and insulin resistance"

I know it takes courage to admit that something this major could be wrong.

I'm not going to wade any further through a cesspit of links. 

Over and out. 

Good idea. You might bump into a oversupply of Vegans :ph34r:

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My post was not about table sugar only, hence sugar(s) but sucrose and fructose

<snip sorry>

Glucose can be metabolised by pretty much the whole body. So the work of 'eating' the glucose is divided up throughout the body. Or at least it CAN be... 

The issue with fructose is that ONLY the liver can deal with it. So the load is not shared, and it is metabolised into fat and stored in the liver. You liver has to work extra-hard to deal with this. Say hello to fatty liver disease.

You're probably better off chomping pure glucose than sucrose (glucose/fructose).

Go black, once you go black you won't go back. 

I like it thick, black and bitter. The first few times are a bit unpleasant, but you learn to love it quickly enough. 

I like it thick, black and bitter. The first few times are a bit unpleasant, but you learn to love it quickly enough. 

I couldn't do it. I got down to one level teaspoon of sugar and that's as low as I'm willing to go!

Like I said - I'm an engineer that studied chemistry so my understanding is more chemical than medical.

Apple juice is 75% fructose and 25% glucose. Sugar is 50/50. Surely that doesn't have a massive difference

on insulin response? Or am I missing something?

Strangely it does - the Fructose is a 5 carbon molecule and glucose a 6 carbon - so they go through 2 different metabolic breakdown paths - Fructose has from memory almost no insulin effect but to all intents and purposes sucrose (sugar) might as well be glucose because it's first breakdown step is to 1 x glucose + 1 x fructose, and then into the glycolosis cycle - but fructose doesn't make the hop to glucose ((edit) directly) ever - I have these basic paths in an old textbook somewhere - but for ease here is a link I googled quickly.

https://microbiologyinfo.com/glycolysis-10-steps-explained-steps-by-steps-with-diagram/

You will see glucose gets phosphated and then converts to fructose phosphate (and thats the step fructose joins in to the cycle.

This conversion of fructose metabolically happens mostly in the liver (and gets mostly converted to liver glycogen, and from there broken down to energy - and it's this process and it's extensions that has been implicated in fatty liver disease (some contention about this exists as to whether it's just fructose or a combination of carbs but to my mind this is because in nature there are many food sources of fructose/glucose/sucrose etc mixes - like apple juice)

There is a diagram about page 2 of this that shows the basic fructose paths.

https://nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-7075-10-45

Probably worth reading the whole article.

Edits - made a couple of small changes to improve clarity/meaning

Edited by V12man

I would love to see stats on the number of people diagnosed with early stages of diabetes for each year for last 10 years, the number diagnosed as gluten intolerent for same timespan and then the number of kids diagnosed with ADD for each year of last 30 years and then the average per year of say malaria or tonsilitis.

Strangely it does - the Fructose is a 5 carbon molecule and glucose a 6 carbon - so they go through 2 different metabolic breakdown paths - Fructose has from memory almost no insulin effect but to all intents and purposes sucrose (sugar) might as well be glucose because it's first breakdown step is to 1 x glucose + 1 x fructose, and then into the glycolosis cycle - but fructose doesn't make the hop to glucose ((edit) directly) ever - I have these basic paths in an old textbook somewhere - but for ease here is a link I googled quickly.

https://microbiologyinfo.com/glycolysis-10-steps-explained-steps-by-steps-with-diagram/

You will see glucose gets phosphated and then converts to fructose phosphate (and thats the step fructose joins in to the cycle.

This conversion of fructose metabolically happens mostly in the liver (and gets mostly converted to liver glycogen, and from there broken down to energy - and it's this process and it's extensions that has been implicated in fatty liver disease (some contention about this exists as to whether it's just fructose or a combination of carbs but to my mind this is because in nature there are many food sources of fructose/glucose/sucrose etc mixes - like apple juice)

There is a diagram about page 2 of this that shows the basic fructose paths.

https://nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-7075-10-45

Probably worth reading the whole article.

Edits - made a couple of small changes to improve clarity/meaning

Aweaome! Thank you sir - that matches the internet trawling I've done in the last 24 hours.

Milky coffee without sugar at breakfast is going to take some getting used to!

Find  a decent coffee shop - properly steamed milk is really sweet - usually only decent shops get this right, and the coffee is served at ready to drink temperatures.

Glucose can be metabolised by pretty much the whole body. So the work of 'eating' the glucose is divided up throughout the body. Or at least it CAN be... 

The issue with fructose is that ONLY the liver can deal with it. So the load is not shared, and it is metabolised into fat and stored in the liver. You liver has to work extra-hard to deal with this. Say hello to fatty liver disease.

You're probably better off chomping pure glucose than sucrose (glucose/fructose).

... perhaps you should check that one again...

Find  a decent coffee shop - properly steamed milk is really sweet - usually only decent shops get this right, and the coffee is served at ready to drink temperatures.

I am about to be slayed .... but at waterstone, the take out coffee stand inside woolies have got this down to a pat. It really does taste sweet.

Once again, thanks for a great thread guys!

I need to cut down on sugar as well. I never had a sweet tooth as a child, but now I've developed one. I just don't buy sweets, because like Bonus I struggle to not eat it all at once. Maybe having a small treat now and then can prevent the binges.

Work meals are the most difficult. I'm a bit lazy to cook in advance and buying healthy meals gets expensive, so I regularly have some Futurelife. While it's supposed to be low GI it still contains more sugar than I'd like, plus I make it with milk (it's not so nice with water), so I'm consuming more dairy than I'd like as well. I can buy the sugarless zero version, but apparently the sugar substitute (sucralose) can in some cases be detrimental to gut bacteria. 

I'm going on a short break / holiday in June, so then I'll be able to make some healthy sugar free breakfasts and hopefully cut out or at least reduce the Futurelife intake.

Milky coffee without sugar at breakfast is going to take some getting used to!

Drink that coffee with some rusks, especially the soft ones are very tasty.

I couldn't do it. I got down to one level teaspoon of sugar and that's as low as I'm willing to go!

Agreeing with Eldron

What is happening!!

I don't know if I should consider myself lucky or unlucky on the fact that I can't tolerate sweet things, that is if I eat anything sweet I always get light-headed, dizzy and nauseated. At 26 years old and only weighing 53.4kg I suppose I might have undiagnosed illnesses. Perhaps OP can try employing a concept of thermodynamics here, E(in) = E(out) so as much as OP intakes a lot of sugar E(in), OP needs to expend that E(out) by riding his bike harder than before.

I don't know if I should consider myself lucky or unlucky on the fact that I can't tolerate sweet things, that is if I eat anything sweet I always get light-headed, dizzy and nauseated. At 26 years old and only weighing 53.4kg I suppose I might have undiagnosed illnesses. Perhaps OP can try employing a concept of thermodynamics here, E(in) = E(out) so as much as OP intakes a lot of sugar E(in), OP needs to expend that E(out) by riding his bike harder than before.

How tall are you? 

Best check with a doc if you have some medical qualms. Don't leave it till it is too late.