Bonus

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ChrisF

snip

Do NOT cut out carbs all together !!  Small amounts is very much part of a balanced diet !!  I now do find that some carbs trigger a "craving" for more food ....  low GI stuff seems to be okay for me.

snip

Can you explain this? Small amounts of carbs are part of a "balanced" diet? Even though they trigger food cravings?

Seriously, you have me confused.

Okay let me try to explain ....

"balanced eating plan" - Protien, carbs and free-veggies are all part of a balanced diet.  Depending on the INDIVIDUAL, ie lifestyle, health, sports, etc the balanced eating plan WILL be different from one person to the next.

For the "typical" type 2 diabetic less than 25% of a plate of food should be carbs.  Cutting out carbs is NOT a "balanced eating plan".  JIP, for a while I was so concentrating on the protien and veggies that I actually cut out carbs from my dinner plate ..... Checked in with my dietitian and got wrapped on the knuckels for this.

So my comment on "cravings" ..... Ideally I would have porridge in the morning, fruit snack, 2x whole wheat slices with something on it for lunch, yogurt snack then a balanced meal for supper.  When following this eating plan I dont experience cravings.

Then we go on holiday, or I got on a business trip and it is not possible to stick to this routine.  Breakfast may now be an omlette with a slice of WW.  Maybe a bran-muffin for a snack.  More bread for lunch.  Heaven forbid supper has more carbs (more than the 25%), worse still if it has potato-chips .... next day I have the munchies ....

Now for the kicker .... not all carbs are the same.  I could have more sweet-potatoes, and dont get the munchies ....  THIS is why I said "some" carbs gives me cravings (not quantity, but some types of carbs)

May also mention here that not all diabetics react the same to each fruit type ....

Any person that wants to put forward one golden recipe for all .... RUN !  People differ !  People react differently to food stuffs !

Man I hate meme based non medical science fiction movies like that. 

Rather read up on sugar - preferably from sources that have doctors involved and are university publications. These anti vaccer style movies make me cringe.

cool, but what makes you think we  care what you hate and not  :devil:

cool, but what makes you think we care what you hate and not :devil:

Your mouth says no but your post says yeeeeesssssss. :-)

Seriously though - don't educate yourself by meme.

I do have a fatty liver for my sins which is a concern and also one of the reasons why I also want to stop taking sugar. Don't think that not getting diabetes makes it ok. My whole upper body is overweight and the liver thing is my motivation.

Re NAFLD : Was starting to develop typical metabolic syndrome symptoms so I decided to cut out all 'traditional' carbs, and upping the (sat) fat.  (~July 2016)  (In essence the 'Red list')

GGT down from approx 130-ish to 53, TRIG down etc etc.  Can report the same on many health improvements as well, including eyesight, energy levels etc!

(Part of what triggered me changing my lifestyle - 2015 at the end of Loskop 50km pathologists were testing runners so I went out of curiosity and my Glucose was 8.x.  The person mentioned I need to consider that I might not only be getting tired from the running, but also from the carb intake, which cause a vicious circle in the sense that I think I am tired due to not enough energy - take carbs - more tired - more carbs, etc etc.  So in 2017 I did the whole Loskop run on only water (obviously no carb loading etc), and the Glu was 3.0.  As an experiment last Saturday (as I hoped they will be testing again) I took my only Coke (approx half a cup) at 43 km, and GLU was 4.2.    (I do have a theory that recovery is faster as well?  Lactate (1.7)?)

Edited by Pieter-za

And some bedtime news for those with cokes and chips on the menu   :)

https://healthimpactnews.com/2013/sweden-becomes-first-western-nation-to-reject-low-fat-diet-dogma-in-favor-of-low-carb-high-fat-nutrition/

F&%$#ing Swedes, what would they know.

Hahaha. All that fat is clogging your brain's ability to spot fake news. 

https://experiencelife.com/article/debunking-news-of-swedens-low-carb-high-fat-guidelines/

And this is even coming from a pro LCHF website. 

When we contacted Anna Karin Lindroos, PhD, a nutritionist at Sweden’s National Food Agency, to ask about the new guidelines, she set the record straight: “Sweden does not have any guidelines on low-carb-high-fat diets. The information that Sweden has guidelines on low-carb-high-fat diets is based on incorrect information circulating on the Internet.”

As it turns out, reporters had mistaken a review published by the Swedish Council on Health Technology Assessment (SBU) in September for new national guidelines. Måns Rosén, PhD, executive director at SBU, was anxious to squelch the rumors. “First, I would like to stress that we do not do guidelines, only systematic reviews and health technology assessment reports,” he says. “Second, we have earlier focused on patients with diabetes and now obese persons, not the general population.”

If sugar(s) is not the issue, then

a) why are so many people diagnosed as pre-diabetic today and why is type 2 diabetes so prevalent, even in children?

b) why are pre-diabetics being advised to cut out ALL sugar?

The science behind this is actually not new.

The link I posted above — here again:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

is to an excellent overview given some years ago by Dr Robert Lustig who refers to Yudkin’s work in the ‘60s which, without knowledge of the endocrine system that we have now, was able to show why sugar is addictive and how it is directly linked to type 2 diabetes.

Do yourself a favour and watch it.

Sucrose (table sugar) is a combination of fructose and glucose molecules and fructose has a particular effect on the brain and liver due to the way it’s processed by the body. HFCS is even worse. Fatty liver anyone?? This causes the same kinds of problems as... alcohol.

Loads of responses and some nice ideas :-)

Looks like Cold Turkey is the way to go.

I'm going to start with cutting out all the sweets, chocolate and biscuits that I eat.

I'll also drink water with my meals instead of Coke or Fanta Orange.

That will make a huge difference quickly.

Once I've nailed that I'll see if I need to do more cutting or not.

I know I do eat sweet things for comfort rather than hunger, so I'll have to keep an eye on that and look for alternatives.

a) why are so many people diagnosed as pre-diabetic today and why is type 2 diabetes so prevalent, even in children?

<snip>

epigenetic effects should not be ignored. in fact, genetics play a huge role in this whole discussion i think - thanks mom and dad!!

b) why are pre-diabetics being advised to cut out ALL sugar?

The science behind this is actually not new.

The link I posted above — here again:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

is to an excellent overview given some years ago by Dr Robert Lustig who refers to Yudkin’s work in the ‘60s which, without knowledge of the endocrine system that we have now, was able to show why sugar is addictive and how it is directly linked to type 2 diabetes.

Do yourself a favour and watch it.

Sucrose (table sugar) is a combination of fructose and glucose molecules and fructose has a particular effect on the brain and liver due to the way it’s processed by the body. HFCS is even worse. Fatty liver anyone?? This causes the same kinds of problems as... alcohol.

The cause of diabetes type 2 is not really known but is commonly associated with obesity and inactivity.

Sugar can help cause obesity of course but sugar itself is not associated with diabetes type 2.

Table sugar is not the devil - as with all things in life abuse of a product like table sugar is the devil. The problem is that sugar tastes good and it's easy to ingest tons of sugar without even knowing it.

Read labels and make educated choices - for instance tons of fruit contain fructose - are they bad too?

Blanket statements like "sugar is bad" aren't really helpful.

The cool part about threads like this is education - I know more about how the body absorbs fructose versus glucose than I did yesterday - that is a win!

The cause of diabetes type 2 is not really known but is commonly associated with obesity and inactivity.

Sugar can help cause obesity of course but sugar itself is not associated with diabetes type 2.

Table sugar is not the devil - as with all things in life abuse of a product like table sugar is the devil. The problem is that sugar tastes good and it's easy to ingest tons of sugar without even knowing it.

Read labels and make educated choices - for instance tons of fruit contain fructose - are they bad too?

Blanket statements like "sugar is bad" aren't really helpful.

The cool part about threads like this is education - I know more about how the body absorbs fructose versus glucose than I did yesterday - that is a win!

My post was not about table sugar only, hence sugar(s) but sucrose and fructose are a major additive (because, do we need them?) to many foods, for taste and as a preservative.  Check your can of beans.  The ones without tomato sauce. There's a very very good chance sugar has been added.

Things like HFCS (high fructose corn syrup which replaced sugar in many drinks like Coke in the '80s) and fruit juices are obviously just highly concentrated sources of fructose - so it's not about TABLE sugar, but the fructose component in it, and for that matter anything and everything that has fructose added to it in some form or another.  Even pastry, which you would "read" as a carbohydrate, but not necessarily a sugar, or containing fructose.  So yes, which is why it becomes so important to read labels and work out what the effect of the glycaemic content is -- how will it interact with insulin? If your fructose comes with a load of fibre then that will slow its absorption in the gut, which slows the insulin response, so go eat fruit, but watch the juices and definitely anything with HFCS in it.

I have a friend who is diabetic (type 1) who has to monitor sugar levels closely.  For her, there is no difference between eating white bread and a particular rye bread made by PicknPay which I considered a healthy alternative.  Most likely explanation is it's not all rye flour, and the flour(s) is heavily processed, so digestion happens more rapidly.

epigenetic effects should not be ignored. in fact, genetics play a huge role in this whole discussion i think - thanks mom and dad!!

It may.  But these changes have happened too rapidly for that to be the reason for the rapid, global increase in type 2 diabetes.  Studies were done of Indian immigrants to South Africa in the 1950s who adopted a western diet and these showed a link between a rise of diabetes in that population compared to those who did not migrate.  Same families, different countries.  And these were people who got plenty exercise, compared to us with our dependence on motorized transport.