Doubling of cholesterol levels in only 11 months - chlorinated pools?

Doubling of cholesterol levels within 11 months (from swimming) in chlorinated pools.

I would be interested to know whether there are any other cyclists that took up swimming lately, and as a consequence have higher cholesterol levels? I know it sounds ridiculous. But there has been studies in the past where excess consumption of chlorinated water caused higher cholesterol.

My LDL cholesterol levels have been 2 to 2.1 average etc for many years, until recently (last 11 months) when it jumped to above 4.0, which pushed my Total cholesterol to above 6.0

My diet has remained the same, but my exercise levels have doubled as I now participate and train for triathlons. As I do about 80% of my swim training in chlorinated gym pools, (greater than an hour at a time), I do swallow (chlorine water) and breath in a large amount of chlorine.

Also, to top it all, I consume large amounts of municipal (chlorinated) water just cycling and running.

Anyone else experienced the same inexplicable cholesterol increase?

Edited by Eddie_V

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting point of view. I'll monitor mine over the next 6 months and let you know. My cholesterol is good at the moment and I have started swimming training for IM next year so if it's related it should show.

Edited by Buff_SA

A tsp. of Organic cinnamon, Ceylon Cinnamon, and 2 tsp. of organic honey in hot water daily will get your cholesterol levels back to normal.

Tested our water in stellenbosch few times .. 0 chlorine.  It only gets treated with chlorine if its out of quality is out of bounds and that not very often. I think they do most treatment with UV now.?

You say your diet stayed the same, but training doubled? how you keeping body weight up?

Edited by Karman de Lange

Tested our water in stellenbosch few times .. 0 chlorine. It only gets treated with chlorine if its out of quality is out of bounds and that not very often. I think they do most treatment with UV now.?

You say your diet stayed the same, but training doubled? how you keeping body weight up?

☺ yes, ok, my portions of carbs, and skinless chicken increased ☺ ... Edited by Eddie_V

A tsp. of Organic cinnamon, Ceylon Cinnamon, and 2 tsp. of organic honey in hot water daily will get your cholesterol levels back to normal.

Why?

Where's this information from?

A very interesting article: http://www.purewatergazette.net/chlorinationfox.htm.

It also makes reference to a book by Dr. Joseph Price, Coronaries/Cholesterol/Chlorine where he explained the basic cause.

The connection between Chlorinated water and cholesterol has not been shown outside of one or two studies in animals. Price "found" his connection in the 1960s but no randomised, double-blind studies have since shown the effect in humans.

Beyond the alternative / Complementary "medical" groupings, the theory has been rejected. 

I say this not to pick a fight, but to urge you to seek a medical reason for it. Such an increase could be indicative of a life threatening change in your body and should be properly diagnosed.

Good luck.

☺ yes, ok, my portions of carbs, and skinless chicken increased ☺ ...

I'm aware of a documented link between chlorine & elevated cholesterol, but I think the link between high carbs & elevated cholesterol could be more significant....  

The connection between Chlorinated water and cholesterol has not been shown outside of one or two studies in animals. Price "found" his connection in the 1960s but no randomised, double-blind studies have since shown the effect in humans.

Beyond the alternative / Complementary "medical" groupings, the theory has been rejected. 

I say this not to pick a fight, but to urge you to seek a medical reason for it. Such an increase could be indicative of a life threatening change in your body and should be properly diagnosed.

Good luck.

I know that I need to go for a proper check now. My physician said we need to have another cholesterol check within 3 months. Thank you for the advice.

I'm aware of a documented link between chlorine & elevated cholesterol, but I think the link between high carbs & elevated cholesterol could be more significant....

I am very health conscious and generally try to keep to very low cholesterol veggies etc. for my carbs. I'm currently on 5% visceral fat, with total of 12% body fat. It was a enormous surprise to me when my cholesterol test came back as it did. Will definitely keep a much closer eye on the cholesterol content of my carbs too now. Thanks. Edited by Eddie_V

If your diet has not changed, could also be cortisol related. I would say it is hormonal more than anything else. 

If you are gulping down water while swimming, work on correcting that as well. 

Edited by EmJayZA

If your diet has not changed, could also be cortisol related. I would say it is hormonal more than anything else. 

If you are gulping down water while swimming, work on correcting that as well.

Try to please spit and not swollow!