Reversed Route 94.7 2018

mercurystorm

2 :40..... ?

But yes i get your point. Sani has nasty section between WP 1 and 2,

I agree with the 2:40 - see my last bit.

2:30 or quicker is the time most of the Elites, Juniors, VA, VB, VC, VD and A groups finish (the guys competing for position, not the entire start group).

2:40 would be for the guys getting dropped from the above bunches, and also for the VE, VF, B and C bunches, plus the Elite/Vet ladies.

2:50 for the guys getting dropped from the 2:40 groups, and also D, E and F groups.

Last year 2016 riders got a sub-3, compared to 223 (sub 2:30) or 614 (sub-2:40).

I'd say, on a good Argus day, the sub 2:40 for 947 would be a good comparison to a sub-3 at the Argus.

Effort required for both is probably what you are referring to... easy for the guys racing week in and week out in the racing cats, while requiring some sort of bleeding effort for the guys just below (or perhaps a little older).

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I think the organisers have not realized is that JHB prevailing winds are from the NE - we were somewhat sheltered through Rosebank, Randburg and other suburbs due to trees ate - If there is a breeze flying down the M1 and the flat section before Blue Hills aint going to happen.

I think they are trying to inject enthusiasm into the race as we are rather spoilt for choice thesedays...

The race will be no easier than as it is at present.

If they did indeed acceed to the request of those battling, which I doubt as the Argus has a greater number of riders doing just the one event and on little training ), IMHO - those lesser trained riders are in for a surprise.

Take a leaf out of the slickly staged Argus, and keep it the same so we can compare our results from one year to the next.....

Not to mention the high speed of the finish down the somewhat narrow and bumpy Bluehills road and the sharp left turn....I think I may sit this one out until sanity prevails and continue to focus on MTB races....Much more fun methinks...

Just saying....

Edited by love2fly

If any one is that way inclined, I've uploaded the route onto Rouvy; just search for Cycle Challenge (or provulo for a lot more of the bigger race routes)

• 3 weeks later...

People simply can't keep a secret any more.

"Please don't tell anyone before the big reveal" is understood to mean: Don't post this on your facebook account yet, but you are welcome to tell all you friends and family with the assumption that they won't do the same, but then they do the same... etc...

Gonna be the worst kept secret by tomorrow when the "Big reveal" happens

I have a secret, and won’t say anything (yet).

Luckily very old people are more likely to forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please DO tell us??? :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Forgot to reply yesterday when the 2018 event was launched, including a new route, and some more.

I’ve known about the new route since November, and itching to say something when we rode it for the first time in March... couldn’t wait for yesterday. Like a kid knowing what’s wrapped in his Christmas present, but has to wait until the day to open it.

But there is more... #justsaying #watchthisspace

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/177189-event-carnival-city-macsteel-national-classic/?do=findComment&comment=3333537

Edited by Frosty

Forgot to reply yesterday when the 2018 event was lunched, including a new route, and some more.

I’ve known about the new route since November, and itching to say something when we rode it for the first time in March... couldn’t wait for yesterday. Like a kid knowing what’s wrapped in his Christmas present, but has to wait until the day to open it.

But there is more... #justsaying #watchthisspace

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/177189-event-carnival-city-macsteel-national-classic/?do=findComment&comment=3333537

Now you have us all thinking what else there can be....

The route has been published already, so there shouldn't be any more surprises there... so what else can possibly be new or exciting...?

Follow the CTCT approach and let the women start up the road so they will have their own race?

Guys on E-bikes with a tow cable at the 3 biggest climbs of the day to help you up... but it will cost you R50 a pull, proceeds going to charity...?

Actually lekker to daydream a bit about how you can spice things up.

Now you have us all thinking what else there can be....

The route has been published already, so there shouldn't be any more surprises there... so what else can possibly be new or exciting...?

Follow the CTCT approach and let the women start up the road so they will have their own race?

Guys on E-bikes with a tow cable at the 3 biggest climbs of the day to help you up... but it will cost you R50 a pull, proceeds going to charity...?

Actually lekker to daydream a bit about how you can spice things up.

I had to paste the conversation starting with your bit about "people can't keep secrets". I can keep a secret, but it has nothing to do with the 947 - I was referring to the route change for the Carnival City Macsteel National Classic.

I had to paste the conversation starting with your bit about "people can't keep secrets". I can keep a secret, but it has nothing to do with the 947 - I was referring to the route change for the Carnival City Macsteel National Classic.

Aha.

Congrats on being one of the few who can then keep a secret ;)

• 2 months later...

Rode part of the reversed route on Sunday. From Witkoppen all the way up to the top of Parktown. Realised I have a lot of work still to do to get back to peak fitness

Rode part of the reversed route on Sunday. From Witkoppen all the way up to the top of Parktown. Realised I have a lot of work still to do to get back to peak fitness

Gonna be a whole different race dynamic for all of us...

I used to burn some matches on the opening 10km on Mnandi and Summit and on the climbs in kyalami to stick with the group.

This time round us fatties will probably be dropped in Steyn City or on Cedar Road and then form up into bunches again on the M1 for some fast riding into the finish.

Looking forward to experiencing a brand new ride in JHB  :drool:

PS. Probably gonna make a plan to ride the route you described at some stage before the actual race just to prep my mind for what is to come.

No fear of it reaching any max capacity, I usually only enter the day before cut off. 

Which day is cut off ?

With entries closing in just over two weeks and only 13000 participants so far, wonder if the 20K target will get reached, if not then surely the organisers will need to look at the entry fee. 

Ah my bad, i thought they closed 31 August. Was kinda hoping they wouldn't sell out so the fees would drop next year. 

For the race snakes, this will be just another race. The terrain isn't that bad that the top okes will suffer. Sure, the guys struggling to stay in the bunch, will still struggle. But I don't think this route will be any easier, nor harder, than before... guess time will tell, and stories will be shared after the event.

My 2c worth.

What I think the organisers have not realized is that JHB prevailing winds are from the NE - we were somewhat sheltered through Rosebank, Randburg and other suburbs due to trees ate - If there is a breeze flying down the M1 and the flat section before Blue Hills aint going to happen.

I think they are trying to inject enthusiasm into the race as we are rather spoilt for choice thesedays...

The race will be no easier than as it is at present.

If they did indeed acceed to the request of those battling, which I doubt as the Argus has a greater number of riders doing just the one event and on little training ), IMHO - those lesser trained riders are in for a surprise.

Take a leaf out of the slickly staged Argus, and keep it the same so we can compare our results from one year to the next.....

Not to mention the high speed of the finish down the somewhat narrow and bumpy Bluehills road and the sharp left turn....I think I may sit this one out until sanity prevails and continue to focus on MTB races....Much more fun methinks...

Just saying....

you can't compare road and mtb events... is a completely different sport with way different dynamics.. as much as i love bombing down singletrack, there's also much fun to be had hanging onto bunches with all of the tactics and games that go with it...

every cycling discipline and every route has its own appeal, just ride and enjoy