Reversed Route 94.7 2018

mercurystorm

In my opinion:

Although a bit faster, 947 is harder but that is because I am not a mountain goat.

It is 15km shorter but at 1325m (on my Garmin) significantly more climbing that Argus, so it is a "hillier" ride with more challenging climbs.

The 2 longest climbs, from the klein Jukskei to top of Homestead and also Jan Smuts (Conrad to St Andrews) are both longer than Chapmans and the steep climbs are steeper than Suikerbossie, albeit not as long.

Also, there is zero flat, nothing like Lakeside to Simonstown or past Misty Cliffs where you can recover in a pack. You are either going up, often steeply, or down, fast with no time to recover.

Most importantly, it is at 1700m, not sea level.

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you 100%. Add the wind factor to CTCT and you have more than hills, I’ve ridden it where Cape Town to Cape point is effectively a hill! What I meant was a time reference, I’ve done both but way fitter and 6kg lighter for this 947 which was my first, trying to work out what my CTCT time should be in a perfect windfree Cape Town.

I agree with you 100%. Add the wind factor to CTCT and you have more than hills, I’ve ridden it where Cape Town to Cape point is effectively a hill! What I meant was a time reference, I’ve done both but way fitter and 6kg lighter for this 947 which was my first, trying to work out what my CTCT time should be in a perfect windfree Cape Town.

Take your seeding index for this event, relative to the winner's time. Then work back to the winning time for the Elites when there was no wind, i.e. this year, 2007 and/or 2008. Should give you a fair indication.

Me and my son both took part, he started at about 07:10 (cannot remember which group number) and I started at 07:55 in group Y. We have diverse opinions on the route, he's saying this route is easier, and I think it's much tougherer.... :blush: He's possibly saying that because he's almost halved his time since his first 947 three years ago. This year he did it in 03:40.

I agree what Scotty said a number of posts back, the part just after coming out of Kyalami was rough. AND, they were lying with the writing on the road, "Last Climb"! :cursing:

But, I do not take part for any specific time, I ride to enjoy the freedom of the roads, and to complete without any incidents or accidents, which I did. Plus I improved 32 minutes on last year's time! :clap: Nowhere close to my PB of 3:26 which I achieved on my 3rd 947 (I think I was 42 then), but I am happy with this time. 

The heat is the main thing that slowed me down, my Garmin indicated 31 degrees when I started, and 41 degrees when I finished. The avg temperature for my race was 36.5 degrees. I do not think I have EVER drank so much water during a cycle race ever! Die outoppie (almost 56..) was dors!

I discovered a very cool app that creates a "birds eye view" video of your ride, using Strava information, called "Relive". Here's a link to the video of my ride: https://www.relive.cc/view/1971927618

Edited by Jaco Steyn

From the top of the M1 after the last bump to the Jukskei river, Ave. power = 113W, NP = 181W (which includes the bump after Grayston). I was digging deep on every climb, until the M1, refusing to give up my position at the back of the small bunch, so that I could enjoy the M1 in a group (out the wind). Paid for it once we turned into Kyalami, as it was a solo ride until Summit Rd.

Duration: Ave | NP

20-min: 285W | 308W

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-11-19 at 8.50.49 PM.png

30-min: 275W | 301W

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-11-19 at 8.50.59 PM.png

40-min: 270W | 302W

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-11-19 at 8.51.07 PM.png

60-min: 260W | 300W

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-11-19 at 8.51.15 PM.png

40Km: 262W | 301W

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-11-19 at 8.51.24 PM.png

Those are some solid numbers man.. Kudos

Me and my son both took part, he started at about 07:10 (cannot remember which group number) and I started at 07:55 in group Y. We have diverse opinions on the route, he's saying this route is easier, and I think it's much tougherer.... :blush: He's possibly saying that because he's almost halved his time since his first 947 three years ago. This year he did it in 03:40.

I agree what Scotty said a number of posts back, the part just after coming out of Kyalami was rough. AND, they were lying with the writing on the road, "Last Climb"! :cursing:

But, I do not take part for any specific time, I ride to enjoy the freedom of the roads, and to complete without any incidents or accidents, which I did. Plus I improved 32 minutes on last year's time! :clap: Nowhere close to my PB of 3:26 which I achieved on my 3rd 947 (I think I was 42 then), but I am happy with this time.

The heat is the main thing that slowed me down, my Garmin indicated 31 degrees when I started, and 41 degrees when I finished. The avg temperature for my race was 36.5 degrees. I do not think I have EVER drank so much water during a cycle race ever! Die outoppie (almost 56..) was dors!

I discovered a very cool app that creates a "birds eye view" video of your ride, using Strava information, called "Relive". Here's a link to the video of my ride: https://www.relive.cc/view/1971927618

Oom is 'n inspirasie vir ouens soos ek. Welgedaan!

Yip. Slow through the turn at least I presume, so managed to get back up and carry on from what I saw.

That single speed is there every year - seriously impressive. And he doesn't just sit in the bunch to finish - always attacks in attempts for top position in the last 10-15km.

That would be Jules. Been a single speed race for him for many years. He is a previous winner of the VA 947 ;) just not on a ss

I found this route a bit tougher than the previous but not so much that I would toyi-toyi to go back to the old one. What I did like was the fact that it broke up the groups quite early, safer for everyone to my mind! No just hanging on for dear life in the early kilometres and then just hiding all the way to the finish [emoji41]

I had a few small issues, bad stomach at about half way, someone rode into the back of me going up the mineshaft, cramps on that hill as you got off the track but all in all had fun!

In all my 14 years of doing this event I had never ever stopped at a water point (besides the 4 times I did double laps many years ago when I was young and dumb), on this my 15th consecutive I stopped twice to fill up juice bottles [emoji31]

@Frosty - if it helps I was 8mins faster than at CCMNC ....

Loved the route this year. The only negative, which used to be something I looked forward to, was the M1. Instead of some nice recovery on rolling terrain, we were hit with the winds. Jan Smuts wasn’t as bad as I anticipated.

Still proud of cutting more than 50min off my 2017 time - 4h38 from II. Finished in 3h47 from Y, so it was solo all the way. Next year I’ll aim for 3h15 ???????? Already started the training ????

From the top of the M1 after the last bump to the Jukskei river, Ave. power = 113W, NP = 181W (which includes the bump after Grayston). I was digging deep on every climb, until the M1, refusing to give up my position at the back of the small bunch, so that I could enjoy the M1 in a group (out the wind). Paid for it once we turned into Kyalami, as it was a solo ride until Summit Rd.

Duration:  Ave  |  NP

20-min:  285W  |  308W

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-11-19 at 8.50.49 PM.png

30-min:  275W  |  301W

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-11-19 at 8.50.59 PM.png

40-min:  270W  |  302W

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-11-19 at 8.51.07 PM.png

60-min:  260W  |  300W

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-11-19 at 8.51.15 PM.png

40Km:    262W  |  301W

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-11-19 at 8.51.24 PM.png

Do you mind sharing what app/program you used to get these stats? 

That would be Jules. Been a single speed race for him for many years. He is a previous winner of the VA 947 ;) just not on a ss

If I recall both riding SS's did he not also beat Nic White. 

I found this route a bit tougher than the previous but not so much that I would toyi-toyi to go back to the old one. What I did like was the fact that it broke up the groups quite early, safer for everyone to my mind! No just hanging on for dear life in the early kilometres and then just hiding all the way to the finish [emoji41]

I had a few small issues, bad stomach at about half way, someone rode into the back of me going up the mineshaft, cramps on that hill as you got off the track but all in all had fun!

In all my 14 years of doing this event I had never ever stopped at a water point (besides the 4 times I did double laps many years ago when I was young and dumb), on this my 15th consecutive I stopped twice to fill up juice bottles [emoji31]

@Frosty - if it helps I was 8mins faster than at CCMNC ....

Something definitely amiss . Stopping at water points when you don’t ride with one bottle on a 60km ride.