Reversed Route 94.7 2018

mercurystorm

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I could start a mass participation event where people refer to 16000 entries with the prefix "only".

Sure they apparently peaked at over 30 000 at some stage, so it would be a massive drop in numbers. But the close of entries are still far away. We are society which leaves allot of stuff to the last minute, so I won't be stressed if I was them.

Being a big fan of statistics, I would love to see line graphs of the number of entries confirmed through the year as we approach closing of entries.

I'm really excited about this. Its going to be my first one, and I'm trying to prepare as best I can for it. I'll be one of the 10 000 that are just looking to finish and not die. At my level the guys that can manage a 32km/h average seem like androids. 

Luckily riding for WorldNet, so free entry and an early start. I'll try to do a few laps during the upcoming months at Suikerbosrand to get the hang of longer distance road riding. 

Personal goals:

• Sub 5 hours (4:59 counts).
  • Pedaling past someone on an expensive carbon road bike on my MTB with off-road tyres. Preferably while wheelying and/or chugging a beer.  :ph34r:

Did a semi route recon last weekend. Started at Broadacres and road all the way up to Wits and then back again. 

After reading a few pages I'm starting to brick it, I just hope the okes complaining are men well into their 50's!! As this will be my first race since I began cycling in Dec 17'.

Quick question about gear setup...will a 38/25 Combo be enough to get me through the nasty climbs?

I swapped my compact crank for a standard crank cause I hated the drop from 50 to 34 as I lost too much resistance and just couldn't find the 'right'combination with the cassette.

After reading a few pages I'm starting to brick it, I just hope the okes complaining are men well into their 50's!! As this will be my first race since I began cycling in Dec 17'.

Quick question about gear setup...will a 38/25 Combo be enough to get me through the nasty climbs?

I swapped my compact crank for a standard crank cause I hated the drop from 50 to 34 as I lost too much resistance and just couldn't find the 'right'combination with the cassette.

I would try and get a 28 for my biggest at the back if its your first but some youngsters are so strong they just power through it, Enjoy!

Pretty sure you'll be fine, I don't recall the climbs being excessively steep

I am not paying R504.50!

R500 isn't exactly cheap, but if you take into consideration the road closures, waterpoints, marshalls, traffic police, etc. it makes sense that it would be that "expensive". Best race I have ever done, and will definitely be riding again this year

I would try and get a 28 for my biggest at the back if its your first but some youngsters are so strong they just power through it, Enjoy!

Thanks I'll consider a 28 I don't mind a bit of pain, just afraid of popping too soon. Getting off the bike is my worst nightmare.

Pretty sure you'll be fine, I don't recall the climbs being excessively steep

Eish boet, guess I'll just have to ride it to find out.

Thanks I'll consider a 28 I don't mind a bit of pain, just afraid of popping too soon. Getting off the bike is my worst nightmare.

I would say it depends on your pedaling style. If you're used to spinning the gears a 28 would make sense. 

And? how did it go?

Did a semi route recon last weekend. Started at Broadacres and road all the way up to Wits and then back again. 

Youngsters weigh less

Archived