Crest Mk3 Rim Cracks... and now my Flow Mk3

ChUkKy

I am now on my 3rd set of crest rims,due to the these exact same cracks formng every time

But they honestly do come to the party with the warranty claims,my lbs have started using my same old spokes even on the new builds,only costing +-R500 for a build

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New toys - let's see how these hold up

The front wheel looks fine still, its the rear thats got all the cracks mainly on the spokes from the drive side...

As I mentioned ive got mk3 Flows on my rigid singlespeed and touch wood, they have been bomb proof over the past few thousand km that Ive done on them.

Im curious on how the Arches hold up as some gents have mentioned those have cracked too.

The front wheel looks fine still, its the rear thats got all the cracks mainly on the spokes from the drive side...

As I mentioned ive got mk3 Flows on my rigid singlespeed and touch wood, they have been bomb proof over the past few thousand km that Ive done on them.

Im curious on how the Arches hold up as some gents have mentioned those have cracked too.

I had Arches for three years now on my Dale and have been bombproof - 82kg and hard riding !!

Not sure how the new ones are though.

They'll warranty them with a minimum of fuss if you have proof of purchase, got a set done the other day. But you'll still be in for labour and new nipples, so it wont be entirely free or convenient.

I'd suggest replacing with Arch if they're open to it, they're a lot more durable.

There have been issues with all variants of the MK3 rims cracking - I'm not sure if they've addressed this with subsequent production runs though, so maybe check when you submit the claim.

EDIT: Another point is that Crests should only be built to a max tension of 95kg, where the Arch and Flow can go to 125. Double check spoke tension on the replacement before tyres are fitted.

I had the Arch and the same thing happened. Seems the new MK3 all crack and most on the drive side on rear wheel

Dont do the arch's you will be waisting your time....get a set of carbon ones from the east for only about 1k more (Landed) than the price of any MK3 Stans rim and build yourself a lekker wide 30mm internal carbon set :-)

New toys - let's see how these hold up

Hope yours hold up, my back wheel Arch Mk3 cracked twice the same as the Crest Mk3. Replaced with Raceface Arc27, wider, heavier but stronger.

I'm having the same problem on my crest rims.

It seems to only happen to my rear rim on the drive-side spoke holes. CWC replaced my first rim for me with no problems except for the typical shipping costs from JHB to Capetown, new rim tape, new valve and sealant ( something which a student doesn't budget for). My second rim has done exactly the same after mostly gravel roads and tar riding. Im just holding on for another solution to the problem... 

Hi, I had the same issue with my Stans Crest rims.  They said it was a batch that was faulty, they replaced the 1st one and after a spoke tore out on the down hill at the Atta (I wiped out) they replace both with Mk3`s.  My neo hub also gives endless problems. 3 hub services over the past year and a new free body after something in it disintegrated.  I suggest get proper rims & hub.

I am riding arch mk3 on the back and crest mk3 on the front and no issues after 6 months. I'm 92kg. Ride tygerburg hills.

I've had a bunch of these cracked wheels in for rim replacements and I measure the existing spoke tensions every time. No surprises, every time the tensions are between 110 and 130 kgf, where recommended tension, even on the Arch Mk3 is 95kgf.

The Arch can go to 125kgf. Crest is 95kgf

I tink that the spoke bed area is not thick enough and it is weird that crest and arch have the same thickness there ?

post-31289-0-93936700-1530688635_thumb.jpg

post-31289-0-86516400-1530688655_thumb.jpg

I've had a bunch of these cracked wheels in for rim replacements and I measure the existing spoke tensions every time. No surprises, every time the tensions are between 110 and 130 kgf, where recommended tension, even on the Arch Mk3 is 95kgf.

I got a set of Crest in the other day built to about 150...

Something tells me there are people out there tensioning wheels with the tyres pumped to 4 bar.

Bought the bike from CWC in March 2018... done just under 1300km.

The c-zero freehub made by Cannondale is *** so that was replaced last week under warranty, all the pawl springs broke to little bits or broke.

tenor.gif?itemid=11143478

The Arch can go to 125kgf. Crest is 95kgf

I tink that the spoke bed area is not thick enough and it is weird that crest and arch have the same thickness there ?

attachicon.gifzzzz.JPG

attachicon.gifxxxx.JPG

My mistake, I thought I'd seen 95..... I still won't build them past 110....