Crest Mk3 Rim Cracks... and now my Flow Mk3

ChUkKy

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

friend of mine, same story, 3 months and both rims cracking in the same places. Its not cool, how can they manufacture, "test" and sell this and then it cost the customer money and time etc because of their flaws?

Im back to square 1 again...

This time both my Crest rims are cracked... 28 hole rims

The brand new rear that was replaced under warranty just over a month ago and now also the front is cracked.

3 Towers this weekend on cracked rims... I hope they hold because I dont have a safer option on a wheelset right now

• 2 weeks later...

Race Face Arc 27 offset...on 2nd back rim and started cracking again in 1600km....89kg, saw it tonight after bike was did Tiletoria 66km yesterday,cannot believe it from the Race Face rims...running Corse hubs

Race Face Arc 27 offset...on 2nd back rim and started cracking again in 1600km....89kg, saw it tonight after bike was did Tiletoria 66km yesterday,cannot believe it from the Race Face rims...running Corse hubs

Yikes!

I've built a handful of sets with those rims and haven't seen that happen yet. Holding thumbs....

Judging by internet reviews, Race face is up there with E13 and Crank Brothers i.t.o. *** design and product failures.

i had the same problem with my scalpel's rims.  it seems there was a rubbish batch that they provided cannondale with.  the ones with the normal red and white decals have no issue.

i did get a bit gatvol while waiting for the warranty replacement, so i bought a spare set of wheels and put some south industries rims on them. 

after about a month and a half i got the warranty replacement  - there was a long wait for stock, so now i have a spare wheelset (which i'll probably never use)

• 1 month later...

hey guys,

I have now had to replace 2 rear rims (Crest MK3) on my cannondale scalpel and would like to replace the rims with something better.

Just looking at rims or if a complete wheelset is a better option, then that.

Not sure on budget yet but don't want to break the bank. So lets assume max R10k.

What would you suggest i look at?

hey guys,

I have now had to replace 2 rear rims (Crest MK3) on my cannondale scalpel and would like to replace the rims with something better.

Not sure on budget yet but don't want to break the bank. So lets assume max R10k.

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/rims/mtb/cross-country/xr-361/

hey guys,

For R10k you can get a pair of Nexties and have them laced onto your current hubs.  That's what I'd do (its what I did do).

https://www.nextie.net/ultralight-mountain-clincher-34mm-NXT29UL34

Just a quick reality check - this is MTB and rear wheels in particular take a beating. Ever watched the WC DH behind the scenes videos - the mechanics are forever lacing up new wheels because some only last one run.

I'm in no way saying that the rim cracks described are acceptable especially after 1000km, but Saffers are pretty big boned. That said, I have had extremely good service from Stans original Flow rims  - they are as tough as nails. Compared to the rubbish soft alloy Rovals I have on one bike, they are indestructible. I suspect Stans simply went too wide and too light with the latest versions.