Crest Mk3 Rim Cracks... and now my Flow Mk3

ChUkKy

Hi Guys...

On my Scalpel Si Carbon 3 is a set of 28 Hole Crests that come standard issue on the bike...
1280km on the wheels and the back wheel is cracked on all the spoke holes in the rim, drive side specifically however there are a few from the non drive side spokes.

I weigh 85kg so Im not the lightest and Im not the heaviest either but these rims shouldnt have cracked so quickly. I am also not Andre Greipel on the pedals so im confused.

Im sure this is a warranty claim and have to be replaced as it seems to be a VERY common problem on the Mk3 Crests, my problem is what would be the point of giving me more of the same to crack again if they do say ok cool, we'll warranty it.

I do wanna build a set of carbon wheels onto some proper hubs but this cracked rim issue is not and will not be the reason for it.
One set of rims for one purpose and another set for another purpose, NOT a new set of rims on my account because these Crests are crap and have cracked in less than 1300km.

f08acafdaa5814a48c845525f583e62a.jpg9f8ed59a54e9d3122db1fcf19bcf008c.jpg35eba85b9c23dbec24e1851484fdc277.jpgb4507e287be3c1ab35de3e3f90ad871f.jpg

Edited by ChUkKy

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The maximum recommended weight limit for those rims are 86kg if I am not mistaken, It could be be metal fatigue due to harsh riding or simply poorly built rims. Unfortunately no way of fixing them. I would suggest you try and communicate through local importers for a warranty refund.

They'll warranty them with a minimum of fuss if you have proof of purchase, got a set done the other day. But you'll still be in for labour and new nipples, so it wont be entirely free or convenient.

I'd suggest replacing with Arch if they're open to it, they're a lot more durable.

There have been issues with all variants of the MK3 rims cracking - I'm not sure if they've addressed this with subsequent production runs though, so maybe check when you submit the claim.

EDIT: Another point is that Crests should only be built to a max tension of 95kg, where the Arch and Flow can go to 125. Double check spoke tension on the replacement before tyres are fitted.

Edited by droo

Hi Guys...

On my Scalpel Si Carbon 3 is a set of 28 Hole Crests that come standard issue on the bike...

1280km on the wheels and the back wheel is cracked on all the spoke holes in the rim, drive side specifically however there are a few from the non drive side spokes.

I weigh 85kg so Im not the lightest and Im not the heaviest either but these rims shouldnt have cracked so quickly. I am also not Andre Greipel on the pedals so im confused.

Im sure this is a warranty claim and have to be replaced as it seems to be a VERY common problem on the Mk3 Crests, my problem is what would be the point of giving me more of the same to crack again if they do say ok cool, we'll warranty it.

I do wanna build a set of carbon wheels onto some proper hubs but this cracked rim issue is not and will not be the reason for it.

One set of rims for one purpose and another set for another purpose, NOT a new set of rims on my account because these Crests are crap and have cracked in less than 1300km.

f08acafdaa5814a48c845525f583e62a.jpg9f8ed59a54e9d3122db1fcf19bcf008c.jpg35eba85b9c23dbec24e1851484fdc277.jpgb4507e287be3c1ab35de3e3f90ad871f.jpg

Two of my friends with the same wheelset have had them crack and replaced under warranty only to have them crack again. The end result one went with the new Stans Carbon rims and the other is looking at stronger options, maybe the Arches or something else.

Unfortunately as you ride a Scalpel you will be going faster than most and by default punishing the rims more !!!

They'll warranty them with a minimum of fuss if you have proof of purchase, got a set done the other day. But you'll still be in for labour and new nipples, so it wont be entirely free or convenient.

I'd suggest replacing with Arch if they're open to it, they're a lot more durable.

There have been issues with all variants of the MK3 rims cracking - I'm not sure if they've addressed this with subsequent production runs though, so maybe check when you submit the claim.

Bought the bike from CWC in March 2018... done just under 1300km.

The c-zero freehub made by Cannondale is *** so that was replaced last week under warranty, all the pawl springs broke to little bits or broke.

Al lot of the mk3 rims have cracking issues as I understand. Both my Mk3 arch rims cracked

I have a set of Flows MK3's on my Rigid Singlespeed and those have been through some rough areas a few occasions. Touch wood they have not cracked and theyve done a few thousand km.

All rims will eventually start cracking up exactly there.  I had a DT do that in no time at all. 1300 km does strike me as being a very short period for that to happen. The original flows were made out of very hard alloy and seem to handle a ton of abuse - maybe the newer rims ones have gone to a  softer alloy? 

Have them replaced under warranty and don't, under any circumstance cover the cost of a rebuild or nipples or whatever they want to rip you with.

Their warranty conditions mean nothing as they are less than six months old and therefore the CPA kicks in. They must cover all costs.

I have had a couple of bikes with the previous crest rims never had a day's problems. Bought a bike with new crest and the rear cracked like that on test ride outside the shop. It sounded like when rims are newly built but luckily went over the bike before buying and it was replaced with Flow they where solid till I sold the bike.