Crest Mk3 Rim Cracks... and now my Flow Mk3

ChUkKy

I suspect Stans simply went too wide and too light with the latest versions. 

That's the one.  I was running on old Crest's for years with no issue until an unfortunate incident with a very large fixed rock at high speed...  Decided to go for the 'stronger' Arch to replace it with and it didn't make eight months before the cracks started to appear.  And I weigh the same and ride the same as I did with the old Crests.  They just pushed the boat out a bit too far this time.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

and here we go, washing my bike and i noticed the same... slight cracks appearing (mk3) ..i’m sure TWT is closed for the holiday etc..and i’ll have to go back to my LBS.. can anyone tell me if it’s ‘okay’ to keep riding it? strong enough?

It's hard to say it will be fine until it's not, should have some final warning. I guess if you want a good, wide, bombproof and relatively cheap ZTR wheelset you would have to get Lyne Amp 30.????????

I suspect Stans simply went too wide and too light with the latest versions.

My theory is: Strong. Light. Wide. Pick any two.

Or add some $$$€£ resources to the equation and make the rim out of carbon. But the strong carbon rims aren't exactly Featherlight either.

My Roval rim 29mm internal is a write off, I'll be replacing it with an Inferno or Spank wheel. I entertained the idea of a ZTR Flow mk3, but only briefly. Pricey, no eyelets and a less than stellar reputation. Rather not.

and here we go, washing my bike and i noticed the same... slight cracks appearing (mk3) ..i’m sure TWT is closed for the holiday etc..and i’ll have to go back to my LBS.. can anyone tell me if it’s ‘okay’ to keep riding it? strong enough?

depends how hard you're going to ride it.  my wheel went all wobbly after a few rides.

thanks guys, i think that 1st sign should be abit of a wobble.. i’ll have to ride it just alittle more and see how it goes :) hope to sort them out soon

Hi Zah,

Please send me your details, I'm positive that we can get this sorted out for you quickly and painlessly.

You can reach me on 041 372 1418 or send your details via email to jonathan@twowheelstrading.co.za 

Kind Regards,

Jonathan

Trying to replace my 29er 32 hole MTB rear rim after a rock ding. 2.3 Maxxis tyres right now. Not having much luck finding a rim. I have been offered the Arch rims, but given the comments here, i am very nervous. Spoke tension aside, i am around 95 to 100 kg (boerewors dependent) and so i am reluctant to go with something that has a suspect history. My weight will push the tension well above any spoke tension standard values on a cyclic nature hitting curves, rocky terrain etc.

The Lyne 30's do not seem to be an option either as stock = zero (not even sure there is a 32 hole rim).

Any suggestions?

Edited by LongDonkey

WTB Frequency i25 or i29 (the number denotes internal width) are good options. Light(ish) and bombproof.

The Lynes are available in 30mm internal in 32 hole.

Huge Kudos  :thumbup: to Jonathan from Two wheel Trading.. replied to my message and in-boxed. As promised he sorted out my warranty claim, with my LBS, effortlessly..

Many Thanks Jonathan  :clap:

Hi Zah,

Please send me your details, I'm positive that we can get this sorted out for you quickly and painlessly.

You can reach me on 041 372 1418 or send your details via email to jonathan@twowheelstrading.co.za 

Kind Regards,

Jonathan

• 2 years later...

Sooo... no more posts in the last 2+ years about these rims cracking. Have Stans solved the problem with their changed heat treatment?

Edited by MudLark

I’ve just bought myself a set of Stans Arch Mk3’s, just hope there are no issues with cracking rims.

I have a friend who's rear wheel is doing the same. So to answer your question: I doubt they sorted it out [emoji16]

Thanks Robert. Better then to buy something else!