Cyclist shot at cradle...

sunchaser

Please share where relevant

Good Day to all Conserv Clients, Community Members, Tourist Industries, Emergency and Security Service providers, SAPS, Cycle Clubs,Members of the Press and The WHS MA. Regarding the shooting of a Cyclist on Saturday morning on the Kromdraai road in the Cradle Of Humankind WHS, you are cordially invited to attend an Urgent Meeting tomorrow evening Tuesday 14th August 2018 at Engedi on the N14 in Protea Ridge North (COHWHS) for 19h00 to discuss an initiative to upgrade security for both Tourists and Resident of the Cradle and surrounds. Regards Trevor Roberts

Edited by live2ride

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are long past the stage of cycling on our own, anywhere, any time. In fact we can't even cycle in groups either, I know, i was attacked while 3 of us were riding and other guys I know were robbed at gun point even though they were 10 -15 strong in a group. Can't beat 2 guys with guns I am afraid. We live in a sick, absolutely lawless society where violence and greed, racial tensions and poverty reign!!! 

The guy is lucky to be alive still and hope he recovers soon. He will be emotionally scarred for life and those sick bastards that robbed him will still do it again and again......because they f''n get away with it. Just shows how many of the f'rs are walking around armed to the teeth and we all think the Cradle is safe. It's not! time to start getting some armed ex-military guys out there to clean out the garbage.

Big Ups to the dude that got out and assisted that poor cyclist. respect bud. You saved that man's life bud, a dad, a husband......what ever he is, you can be proud of what you did.

you said it.

the way this country is going there is a way to stop it- and only 1 way that would work- a group of say 5 cycle, and are all armed, and well trained. if 2 guys with guns ambush them those 2 are shot dead on the spot. this will work. it wont be implemented for many many reasons, but it will work. but yeh it wont happen and these attacks will continue. it is too easy for 3 guys 2 armed with guns to hide and ambush cyclists. 

if pure robbery or desperation was the motive then why shoot him in the BACK (like callous savage hate filled vicious cowards) after they had outnumbered him 3-1 and they were armed and he wasnt? take the bike and leave. they shot him to murder him. or- did they shoot him to murder him in the BACK first? and then take the bike. either way its way past the point of "i have a weapon gimme what you have" which is how robbery works in say canada. it has moved into the realm of pure evil where you are assassinated for a material thing.

We are long past the stage of cycling on our own, anywhere, any time. In fact we can't even cycle in groups either, I know, i was attacked while 3 of us were riding and other guys I know were robbed at gun point even though they were 10 -15 strong in a group. Can't beat 2 guys with guns I am afraid. We live in a sick, absolutely lawless society where violence and greed, racial tensions and poverty reign!!! 

To collect the money for security could actually be very simple. If all businesses in the Cradle that offer parking charge an extra R10 or R20 per person that go towards a joint security fund to secures the area at certain times, that could cover quite a bit.

Most of us are happy to pay for parking so all of us should be happy to pay for security.

Please share where relevant

Good Day to all Conserv Clients, Community Members, Tourist Industries, Emergency and Security Service providers, SAPS, Cycle Clubs,Members of the Press and The WHS MA. Regarding the shooting of a Cyclist on Saturday morning on the Kromdraai road in the Cradle Of Humankind WHS, you are cordially invited to attend an Urgent Meeting tomorrow evening Tuesday 14th August 2018 at Engedi on the N14 in Protea Ridge North (COHWHS) for 19h00 to discuss an initiative to upgrade security for both Tourists and Resident of the Cradle and surrounds. Regards Trevor Roberts

Hi live2ride, will you be able to attend and if so can we ask you to give us some feedback on the meeting?

When it comes to monetary issues. The businesses that benefit from the hundreds of cyclists that use the cradle should think about the sustainability of their businesses should the cyclists become scared and dry up.

If I owned one of the restaurants that serves the cyclists in the Cradle, I would be sure to look after my client pool by doing something about security. Then I would make an even louder noise about it to get some marketing and possibly even PR out of it, thereby driving business up.

The insurance companies that cover the risks should also get involved to look after their insured risks, stopping a claim is cheaper than paying a claim.

When it comes to monetary issues. The businesses that benefit from the hundreds of cyclists that use the cradle should think about the sustainability of their businesses should the cyclists become scared and dry up.

If I owned one of the restaurants that serves the cyclists in the Cradle, I would be sure to look after my client pool by doing something about security. Then I would make an even louder noise about it to get some marketing and possibly even PR out of it, thereby driving business up.

The insurance companies that cover the risks should also get involved to look after their insured risks, stopping a claim is cheaper than paying a claim.

We do not bring that much revenue to these small, family owned businesses. They already have to cater for extra security to secure our bikes. You may recall we did some basic napkin math to secure just the Bidon parking area, and it was expensive. Bidon won't even break even on the R20 parking fee.

The Cradle has a few access points via vehicle, but on foot, there is far too much area to cover. Some ADT type patrols may help, but don't think it is monetarily feasible as the population density of the area is so low. 

We do not bring that much revenue to these small, family owned businesses. They already have to cater for extra security to secure our bikes. You may recall we did some basic napkin math to secure just the Bidon parking area, and it was expensive. Bidon won't even break even on the R20 parking fee.

The Cradle has a few access points via vehicle, but on foot, there is far too much area to cover. Some ADT type patrols may help, but don't think it is monetarily feasible as the population density of the area is so low.

Cyclists in that area of jhb an areas of PTA don’t really have anywhere else to go that caters so well for cycling like thecradle. A solution HAS to be found. A combination of solutions probably.

It’s too good a resource to abandon. Solutions must be found an implemented.

Cyclists in that area of jhb an areas of PTA don’t really have anywhere else to go that caters so well for cycling like thecradle. A solution HAS to be found. A combination of solutions probably.

It’s too good a resource to abandon. Solutions must be found an implemented.

This whole thing has left me very unhappy. I am so tired of seeing fellow cyclists hurt. We cannot run anywhere alone, and cannot ride our bike in peace either. Between these criminals, and maniac drivers, I am not sure cycling is a good option anymore. It's just more and more of this BS every day.  

What about starting up a small non-profit to pay for patrolling vehicles on Saturdays and Sundays? We could approach ADT / Chubb / some other operators in the area, and pay them to patrol the areas during peak cycling times. I presume that these are less frantic security companies as they won't have many call outs. We can set up a small fund where people donate some money into it to pay for these vehicles. I am happy to pay R200 or R300 per month towards this. It's one good meal out, and will help the community. 

Edited by EmJayZA

This whole thing has left me very unhappy. I am so tired of seeing fellow cyclists hurt. We cannot run anywhere alone, and cannot ride our bike in peace either. Between these criminals, and maniac drivers, I am not sure cycling is a good option anymore. It's just more and more of this BS every day.  

What about starting up a small non-profit to pay for patrolling vehicles on Saturdays and Sundays? We could approach ADT / Chubb / some other operators in the area, and pay them to patrol the areas during peak cycling times. I presume that these are less frantic security companies as they won't have many call outs. We can set up a small fund where people donate some money into it to pay for these vehicles. 

This may work, but as was mentioned some posts ago, there were several security vehicles, bike club support vehicles etc etc driving around the other day and it didn't stop this from happening.

This may work, but as was mentioned some posts ago, there were several security vehicles, bike club support vehicles etc etc driving around the other day and it didn't stop this from happening.

We could maybe publish the routes on some fliers (with contribution information) and put them on vehicles around the Cradle. We can use the same guys that hand out the Cycle Lab fliers. They are very efficient, and persistent, as I have even received two in the same day after putting the first one in my vehicle. This would keep people off the more quiet roads, and keep the more mainstream roads busy, and therefore safer. 

The fund we can contribute can start accumulating funds slowly. When we have enough for around 2 months worth of patrol vehicles, we start the service, and hopefully funds will keep coming in to maintain the service. I am sure someone here has some connections we could reach ouch to start making inquiries and negotiating. If the fund falls through, the money can go back to the contributors, or we use the money to hire teams to cleanup the cycling lanes in Cradle, or we donate to a charity (via a community vote). We would just need someone to manage this, a communications/community manager, a bank account, and a few people to act as "trustees" on the financial side.  

Or, we could maybe just send out these fliers asking everyone to stay on the more popular routes ensuring we are less spread out. We could start here at least. Some fliers are cheap to print. 

Pic from FB

38891292_1662827360510279_35783930797296

I don't know much of triathlons but that bike cannot be very common....let's hope it gets spotted somewhere (unless it get exported. who knows where all the stolen bikes end up?)