[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

Nice one! i managed a 3h2m44s in & group.

was shattered from fighting the wind.

i think our group was all in all very well behaved

i was 4th wheel on the right hand side.

something happened at the front on the left and people when down.

someone drifted so fast to the right to avoid the crash and took out a guy in front on me - i was lucky, i  just missed him as he skidded across towards us. the guy next to me hit him square and came down.

was a nasty sounding crash! 

Enter my father!

64 year old multiple SA champ across multiple disciplines.

looking to win his category for amashova, argus and 94.7 on a SS with a 50/17 gearing.

he was climbing chapmans peak coming past riders as he was getting on top of the gear.

someone swerved right in front of him and took his front wheel out. 

pedals, bars, frame, shoes, shirt, phone all stuffed.

shoulder very sore and plenty skin missing.

he admits he should have given more space and the crash is as much his fault as the guy who switched him.

as for you expecting him to fall. shame on you.

Sorry, was a bit gatvol when wrote the comment. Obviously dont wish anybody harm. 

Just flying through Misty cliffs with those bumps on a S/S got hairy! 

Hope he heals up quick, sorry shot my mouth off.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does your finishing time not get written off if you start in an earlier group? I ask because I see people aren't happy with these chance-takers starting ahead of where they were seeded.

Racetec know exactly when you roll over the starting mats, and when I was collecting my Stellenbosch Cycle Tour number, I heard a bloke querying his start time with Racetec, and I seem to remember them telling the dude that his time at a previous race did not count, because he was disqualified due to starting in an earlier group. I don't know if they determined this based on when he rolled over the mats, or some other way. But I could also be remembering things wrong.

I guess it also depends if we are annoyed because these chance-takers have better official Racetec times, or better Strava times

This was our 5th CTCT, started in JS at 07h10 and finished 11mins slower than last year, 3h38.

Was a super tough day.

We ride to raise awareness and funds for www.raisinghopesa.com and NPO (NPO 176-282) that works to assist families affected by children with neurological disorders.  Inclusivity in cycling and other sports is so crucial and it is where disability meets possibility.

you can support the work the NPO does  at www.tinyurl.com/ycyfjnys 

Big thanks to all the additional helping hands yesterday 

You okes are amazing after the ride at the 99er!!

Does your finishing time not get written off if you start in an earlier group? I ask because I see people aren't happy with these chance-takers starting ahead of where they were seeded.

Racetec know exactly when you roll over the starting mats, and when I was collecting my Stellenbosch Cycle Tour number, I heard a bloke querying his start time with Racetec, and I seem to remember them telling the dude that his time at a previous race did not count, because he was disqualified due to starting in an earlier group. I don't know if they determined this based on when he rolled over the mats, or some other way. But I could also be remembering things wrong.

I guess it also depends if we are annoyed because these chance-takers have better official Racetec times, or better Strava times

Maybe they have not run that bit of the code yet. 

I know my boet's time is not up as he did a second lap and they dong you out if you cross the matts twice, they find those that had issues and sort it out in the week.

I was just to the inside of you at that crash scene.

Had my camera off to save battery

That's actionable negligence. He was pushing through when it wasn't clear that he had sufficient safe space to do so. Very different to someone suddenly getting blown sideways.

If I was one of those that went down and got seriously hurt, I would definitely sue that rider - and I would have a very high prospect of success too.

Perhaps a few such cases will get people (the gung-ho crowd) to start paying proper attention to the "safety first" principle.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

This was our 5th CTCT, started in JS at 07h10 and finished 11mins slower than last year, 3h38.

Was a super tough day.

We ride to raise awareness and funds for www.raisinghopesa.com and NPO (NPO 176-282) that works to assist families affected by children with neurological disorders.  Inclusivity in cycling and other sports is so crucial and it is where disability meets possibility.

Always great to see the awesome support for you guys and ladies involved in raising the awareness and finishing the race

Is there a quick way to download all the results from Racetech, for this tour and previous? I love working with data and think it would be interesting to compare results across various years.

now that makes me happy, if it is true.  You cant just skip to the front and expect to be rewarded for it.  

That makes the opening that PPA allowed by also taking into account your Strava times a bit more challenging

Is there a quick way to download all the results from Racetech, for this tour and previous? I love working with data and think it would be interesting to compare results across various years.

I think that they prefer too keep their big data private ;-)

Was a super tough day.

Really well done guys. I wasn't in a position to assist yesterday, however I now made a contribution towards an excellent cause and in lieu of the inspirational work you guys did yesterday.

I think that they prefer too keep their big data private ;-)

Cool, then I'll spend some time to see if I can web scrape it this weekend

I enjoyed the ride a great deal more on my MTB with knoblies, even dare to say it was a nicer experience than my sub3 last year on the road bike.

The constant breaking in the front groups is so annoying and I hate it. Nothing like that at all in the groups where I rode in.

Dropped down to 2g to start with a friend and did my sub4 (~3h55). I saw another MTB'er who caught me near the end from 3A with nederburg kit on. He must have done a 3h42 and I think that is very impressive.

Enjoyed the ride. I wasn't fit at all so just pedaled, I also encountered the brake test numptys and the lets veer left and right without checking squad. 

Dear Frans, jou moer! Why would you take a single use plastic bottle out your pocket and throw it in the bush on Chappies?? WTF I know why you braked cause you didn't feel like defending yourself and I was very ready for round two of me explaining Why the f&*k you just don't do it. 

To the uncle that veered into me, I know you said sorry and it wouldn't happen again but then further down the road I see you did it again?? Are you scared of commitment? Do you only write with pencils, what's the deal?? 

I should be proud of my 10th medal well am I slightly but what I'm more proud of was my missus finishing, this after a layoff of 14 years and two kiddies later!