Has the MTB Stage Racing bubble finally burst?

Slowbee

If the Joberg2C presents itself and you are able and can afford it, do not miss the opportunity. Like someone said before, it is highly unlikely you will ever ride these routes outside of the race. Pricey, yes but worth every cent spent.

I can honestly say that, the slogan I am most partial to right now is: "I Rode the Beloved Country."

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Epic Entry fee 44k for 8 days.

vs

Alps trip with my mates under 30k all in for 8 days.

Or

9 days of road cycling on Mallorca for 35k per person all in including bike and car rental.

Disclaimer. I don't think I'd be able to finish any epic day.

i see this one quoted all the time, but it's hardly comparing apples with apples.

with R44k I could get

R220 cases of tassies

or 250 lapdances at mavs

or 1% of a firepool at a rural KZN compound of your choice

or DJ paris Hilton to play 4 songs at your event

dj-paris-hilton-300x261.jpg

(i get the point, but comparing it to an overseas bike holiday is hardly the same thing)

i see this one quoted all the time, but it's hardly comparing apples with apples.

(i get the point, but comparing it to an overseas bike holiday is hardly the same thing)

Both are death bed memory mountain cycling experiences. I think the comparison is valid. But I get your point. One is a race the other is not.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Both are death bed memory mountain cycling experiences. I think the comparison is valid. But I get your point. One is a race the other is not.

absolutely...

money spent on a memorable cycling experience! that's what it boils down to for me at least 

So there is a lot that goes in to the back end , we recently did a multi day ride supported by Friends in a bakkies.

• It was not a lot cheaper than sani2c
  • There were no water points ( food or drink)
  • No mechanical or medical support
  • Some frustrations when things don' t go according to plan
  • No route marking / gps files ;-) 

A different experience , but all said having it all logistics laid on is pretty special 

We need a thread using this info.

I Duane pushes it - but would be good to see what other options there are. I mean for me and the Mrs to do S2C, is R16k entrance then plane flights and then car hire and accommodation before and after the event so easily into the R20 - R25k region.

Sorry. I don't mean to push it. I'm just passionate about riding bikes in Europe. For me nothing can touch a ridgeline in Switzerland or bamming 17 perfect tables in a row or riding a TDF col.

Disclaimer. Apparently I'm riding S2C next year.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

with R44k I could get

R220 cases of tassies

or 250 lapdances at mavs

Give this man a Bells  3 Jagermeisters and 2 lines of coke.

with R44k I could get

R220 cases of tassies

or 250 lapdances at mavs

Done both and to me they are quite similar.

Spending 5-6 hours a day on the bike.

But the one you get to ride the Alps / Dolomites which are breath taking and have insane single track and climbs, stay in decent accommodation and have wonderful food.

The other, you do the same old tracks around Grabow, stay in a pup tent, share a bog with hundreds of hairy blokes and the food is so so.

Actually, they not comparable. An overseas bike trip wins hands down.

Edited by Baracuda

Think the Gravel & Grape is a very underrated event. But sadly also proof that great trails + cheap entry fee don't always equal loads of entries. Don't know what the missing ingredient is - better marketing?

Partly. Also a choice made by the organisers. They wanted to keep it small because they didn't want to bring in big corporates. Instead they wanted it to be community sponsored and organised.

they're planning to grow it for 2020 but hopefully without losing that lekker rural community feel. I love that event just the way it is. But if it gets a little bit bigger I won't cry.

Sorry. I don't mean to push it. I'm just passionate about riding bikes in Europe. For me nothing can touch a ridgeline in Switzerland or bamming 17 perfect tables in a row or riding a TDF col.

Disclaimer. Apparently I'm riding S2C next year.

Sorry message came across wrong.

You push the riding overseas alot. And it is awesome.

But we need more posts like babse's one where different people also chime in on how they did it, especially as it includes different events and costs.

EDIT:

It would be good to get a Hub group to go to the TdF while visiting Bonus. As long as we do not have to build stone walls. :ph34r:

Sorry message came across wrong.

You push the riding overseas alot. And it is awesome.

But we need more posts like babse's one where different people also chime in on how they did it, especially as it includes different events and costs.

EDIT:

It would be good to get a Hub group to go to the TdF while visiting Bonus. As long as we do not have to build stone walls. :ph34r:

If you want a unique experience riding some remote natural (yak tracks) trails, do yourself a favour and check this out. I did it in 2012 (can't believe it's that long ago). You wont get luxury, except in the main towns, but it is a trip you'll remember for a loooooong time.

https://mountainbikekerala.com/singalila-ridge