Garmin Repairs

Sidmouth

So is there hope for my 10 year old Edge 705  where the rubber buttons are perished off... :ph34r:

Right?! I feel like a shiny new 1030!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So is there hope for my 10 year old Edge 705 where the rubber buttons are perished off... :ph34r:

Things were just made too well 10yrs ago.! LOL

So is there hope for my 10 year old Edge 705  where the rubber buttons are perished off... :ph34r:

Yep. The only problem with my Edge 500 was that one of the rubber buttons had worn through and fallen out. Everything else on it was perfect.

Yep. The only problem with my Edge 500 was that one of the rubber buttons had worn through and fallen out. Everything else on it was perfect.

PVC glue and some inner tube, hey presto... new buttons

Kudu's to Navworld. Took my 800 in on Monday for problem with device reading SD card. Notified today they are swapping it out for the 820 with part payment. 

Omar at NavWorld was so helpful a few days before my trip to them Alps in July when my ol Garmin 810 got the flu

Sorted me out sharp sharp

*little hi-jack

i've been a proud owner of a fenix3 for 18 months now.  2 issues:

1) about a month ago it stopped uploading wirelessly.  I need to plug it into the computer with the usb cable to upload workouts... anyone exprienced the same, and how can this be fixed?

2) the tri-belt that i bought...  the plastic part with the sensors pulled out of the elastic strap.  i guess i can get it stitched up, but wondered if this is a common problem

*hi-jack off

I visited the Garmin outlet in Rosebank yesterday. I took my very old Nuvi 205W and received an email about two hours later saying "usb port faulty" and got offered a replacement "at discount". The replacement offer was for the DriveSmart 51 LMTS and they offered it at R30 cheaper than the standard price available at Navworld up the road.

This is obviously useless as it would be cheaper buying it new from Navworld than driving all the way to Rosebank, sitting in traffic and paying a parking fee. I've responded to their email asking for clarification how their offer is worth considering as a discount, but of course no reply received yet.

Has anyone else been offered useless offers from Garmin as well?

Took my Edge 800 into Navworld as it was not reading SD card, Navworld sent it to Garmin and found card reader was faulty, new 820 on its way at about third of new price and hopefully can pick up next week. 

• 2 years later...

R E V I V E!

Can anyone advise on battery replacement for a Fenix 3? Garmin SA can't provide an estimated quote without sending in the device to Jhb (from Cpt). I'm still using my device on a daily basis so I don't want to go through the process only to reject a quote if it's not worth it...

Micro Robotics sells a 500mah LiPo battery for R 98, which is about 67% bigger than the original 300mah battery. The dimensions seem to match up with the original battery (2.5x1.8cm for the 500mah vs 3.2x2.4cm for the original). So if you're feeling intrepid you could try and replace the battery yourself :)

This is my plan for my Fenix 3, but my unit's battery still functions well.

• 4 weeks later...

A sad tale that ended happily [emoji12]

Last night while wanting to check a route I had copied to my trusty Garmin 810 I've had for a few years I noticed it wouldn't power on. First thought ah maybe I forgot to switch it off (has happened before [emoji17]) so the battery was flat. Plugged it in to charge and there was still 55%...

After much f'ing and blinding and careful inspection I noticed that the little rubber button had perished and disintegrated. I could see the micro switch and could switch it on and off with a pen no problem so big sigh of relief there.

Having dealt with Garmin for previous repairs I knew I'd be in for at least 2800ZA rondts and not wanting to go that route decided to check on Google what options there were....

Found two, one was a bit of a hack with a thin piece of rubber and a piece of a BIC pen ink 'tube' that didn't seem like it would last long

The other option was to get a 3d button printed... Since my son has a printer sent him the file and an urgent request to print me one. He dropped a few in my post box this morning [emoji41]

Cleaned out the remnants of the old rubber button inserted the printed one and works like a charm, thinking it may not be so well protected from the elements I cut a small piece of an old tube and wrapped it round covering the button area.

Hopefully will be good for another few years!

Posting it here in case someone has one laying around with this issue or maybe it happens in the future... b287cd60631ae34279bdc2b5ba269376.jpgf6f385effae263de9f14ab69ef748e29.jpge72c77c6b303cebdce910424ad103fc8.jpg580fe069fb55c7fba4bfe951b66e1590.jpg981e00462112a600d7abd731a0c2ea0b.jpg

A sad tale that ended happily [emoji12]

Last night while wanting to check a route I had copied to my trusty Garmin 810 I've had for a few years I noticed it wouldn't power on. First thought ah maybe I forgot to switch it off (has happened before [emoji17]) so the battery was flat. Plugged it in to charge and there was still 55%...

After much f'ing and blinding and careful inspection I noticed that the little rubber button had perished and disintegrated. I could see the micro switch and could switch it on and off with a pen no problem so big sigh of relief there.

Having dealt with Garmin for previous repairs I knew I'd be in for at least 2800ZA rondts and not wanting to go that route decided to check on Google what options there were....

Found two, one was a bit of a hack with a thin piece of rubber and a piece of a BIC pen ink 'tube' that didn't seem like it would last long

The other option was to get a 3d button printed... Since my son has a printer sent him the file and an urgent request to print me one. He dropped a few in my post box this morning [emoji41]

Cleaned out the remnants of the old rubber button inserted the printed one and works like a charm, thinking it may not be so well protected from the elements I cut a small piece of an old tube and wrapped it round covering the button area.

Hopefully will be good for another few years!

Posting it here in case someone has one laying around with this issue or maybe it happens in the future... b287cd60631ae34279bdc2b5ba269376.jpgf6f385effae263de9f14ab69ef748e29.jpge72c77c6b303cebdce910424ad103fc8.jpg580fe069fb55c7fba4bfe951b66e1590.jpg981e00462112a600d7abd731a0c2ea0b.jpg

Send this to GCN for their Hack/Bodge portion of the show. 

Brilliant!