Rider hit by elephant @ trailseeker

marsmanb

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is why people ride at Mabalingwe! The potential for thrill is high!

True, indeed. It's always been a highlight on the calendar.

That being said, it's a sizeable reserve at 120km2. There are large areas that the race does not affect. I've done the race almost annually since 2009 and I've very rarely seen any game during the race, in fact, almost never barring a few antelope and a hippo in the water at a waterpoint a couple of years back. 

We came accross a herd of about 30 buffalo on our Sunday morning game drive not far from where we were riding on Saturday. Made me wonder how many animals you pass that you just don't notice.

Did anybody else notice the dead Zebra next to the electric fence ,just before the 9km to go sign .It looked fresh and the animal was entangled on the electric fence .I hope it wasn't us that :mellow: spooked it 

I would love to hear exactly what happened. Did he surprise the elephant and crash into it? Did the elephant actually attack him and knock him down? Or did he just wipe out close to it?

I've had my fair share of elephant encounters on the bike. So far I've had only one hairy incident where I came around a corner and surprised a lone bull. Luckily he got just as big a fright as me and went charging off AWAY from me. Other times they know I'm there but don't mind me

attachicon.gifDSC_0334A.jpg

attachicon.gifelephant2_1.jpg

attachicon.gifElephanty1_1.jpg

I be scared Sh*tless , but it also looks like something really cool to experience 

I've done the race quite a few times, seen a lot of elephant poop, and can't say I have seen any wild life beside those furry ones in the Lion enclosure which we have ridden past on a few occasions.

I have ridden as lead motorbike for this event, usually the lead bike clears a lot of the game out of the area before you guys come through, the one time I did a lap before the race just to see the markers were all good still, man I saw so much game it was one of my more enjoyable rides. 

Hope the rider is ok after the incident.

Did anybody else notice the dead Zebra next to the electric fence ,just before the 9km to go sign .It looked fresh and the animal was entangled on the electric fence .I hope it wasn't us that  :mellow: spooked it 

When I went past the Zebra was still alive, it was definitely spooked and was trying to escape through the fence. Sad to hear it died.

When I went past the Zebra was still alive, it was definitely spooked and was trying to escape through the fence. Sad to hear it died.

Worked out for the lions tho

If only there was a Youtube video of the Mabalingwe incident.. The guy would have been an instant internet celebrity!

this will make the guy that was struck by the Red Hartebeest a fw years ago like a sissie 

I would love to hear exactly what happened. Did he surprise the elephant and crash into it? Did the elephant actually attack him and knock him down? Or did he just wipe out close to it?

I've had my fair share of elephant encounters on the bike. So far I've had only one hairy incident where I came around a corner and surprised a lone bull. Luckily he got just as big a fright as me and went charging off AWAY from me. Other times they know I'm there but don't mind me

attachicon.gifDSC_0334A.jpg

attachicon.gifelephant2_1.jpg

attachicon.gifElephanty1_1.jpg

as some might have mentioned it was due to the helicopter. It does make sense as the Ellie was scared and just went into flee mode. 

Just hope that this incident don't scare so many off that the event must be moved to a "safer" venue. Stuff happens and one can get hurt else we can rather start running around the block with a local running club

Think its Nick White in green, definitely Andrew McLean second from back, not to sure front two riders. 

Instant brown chamois cream dispenser. 

Oke in front of Andrew is Eric Kleinhans. Not sure who is on the front.

Heal up soon. Sounds hectic!

Hectic.

Quick summary for our English folk:

-46 year old guy was 6km from the finish line,

-Ellie appeared out of nowhere, had broken away from the herd

-Ellie threw him off his bike (verbatim quote, probably more accurate to say he was knocked off by Ellie)

-Ellie proceeded to try and trample him

-Ellie then scooped him up and threw him into the bushes...

Guy is awake in Milpark hospital ICU with broken collarbone, ribs and upper arm.

as some might have mentioned it was due to the helicopter. It does make sense as the Ellie was scared and just went into flee mode. 

Just hope that this incident don't scare so many off that the event must be moved to a "safer" venue. Stuff happens and one can get hurt else we can rather start running around the block with a local running club

That heli was disturbing even myself and the route went straight past the heli landing zone with smoke and all .The casevac zone should be set apart from the route 

Archived