International parcels good news - we hope!

Psyrax

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... I had been waiting for 6 parcels now almost 3 months. One of the oldest ones turned up this week. So yeah there seems to be some movement.

Live in hope, die is despair?

Doesn't seem to make much difference if they are on a Go Slow or Strike or not.

I've got 6 parcels in the mix (business). My work-around now when ordering from China is to ship to the US, consolidate there and ship to SA with Fedex.

Edited by kosmonooit

I have been ordering for many years, each year it has gotten worse. Average time now is 4 months, if it does arrive. There are always excuses and stories about a turnaround.

I just wish that was another option besides the post office.

Using a courier isn't always an option.

Back in the day when order stuff from overseas it took 4 - 6 weeks

These days it's more like 4 - 6 months

Some goods I ordered in April arrived earlier this month and 2 orders from March have never arrived.

I am still waiting for an order that was placed on 25 April.

I have another 2 also sitting waiting...

Used to be much quicker.

One of my parcels (ordered in May) yesterday finally changed status from outward exchange from Hong Kong to Departure from transit of exchange Johannesburg.

If you guys think it's bad getting your international parcels, imagine having to wait for SAPO to drag their feet and then sending it on to Namibia post for further dragging. No idea why international parcels need to go to SA first.

I have a parcel that was "presented to local customs" 2 months ago. Customs being a block away from our offices

I just wish that was another option besides the post office.

Using a courier isn't always an option.

Back in the day when order stuff from overseas it took 4 - 6 weeks

These days it's more like 4 - 6 months

Some goods I ordered in April arrived earlier this month and 2 orders from March have never arrived.

try aramex global shopper, been using it since last year and have had no issues at all.

Delivery 2-4 weeks

SARS allows individuals to import goods (online purchases included) of up to R60,000-00 in value annually (personal consumption), without the need for import permits. Duties on goods remain payable.

When you exceed the value ceiling, you need to apply for an import/export permit and all eyes are on you.

Due to low fiscus at the moment SARS will look for every legal and conceivable way to tax goods, service etc  

I recently sent a registered letter to SA - it took 2 days to get from Denmark to SA and 2 months to get the last 15km to its destination....

try aramex global shopper, been using it since last year and have had no issues at all.

Delivery 2-4 weeks

My problem with this service is that its a one pay one parcel setup. I mailed them about it. Most of us here often order multiple things from China. I asked if they couldn't "keep items back" until I tell them to release everything to me at once, for one fee even if its is a bit more. I might order 3 items over the course of a week. I'd prefer if they kept me a shelf somewhere and after they received the 3rd item and I let them know, then only ship it to me. They can't do it that way.

I recently sent a registered letter to SA - it took 2 days to get from Denmark to SA and 2 months to get the last 15km to its destination....

My wife recently sent a registered parcel to the US. It took 2 months to leave SA, and then 3 days to arrive in Nashville. So pathetic it's sad.

Edited by GrahamS2

My wife recently sent a registered parcel to the US. It took 2 months to leave SA, and then 3 days to arrive in Nashville. So pathetic it's sad.

I'm trying to get a Africa-Denmark import business up and running and this kind of inefficiency makes it tough. Sure my little business is a drop in the ocean but imagine how much business/money/FDI South Africa has lost because people give up rather than jumping through the endlessly inefficient cycles that is African business.