I got hit today...

Butterbean

OP - where did this happen?

Just to add my plus one to the chorus of pleased relief that this isn't a thread about another of our number killed by some thoughtless idiot.

Thanks everyone, I'm just as glad I'm here too!

This happened on the R102 from Somerset west to kuilsriver... Not a particularly fantastic stretch but considering it's two lanes and wide yellow, I've never felt unsafe before...

It was literally across the road from the cemetery entrance too...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a long, open road, in the yellow lane... And a car going well over 80 managed to, thankfully, hit my right thigh with its wing mirror...

The most annoying thing? They were stopped by police further up, not for hitting me, but for driving erratically... So I sprinted up to them to ask what the hell, and met 4 coloured gentlemen, high as balls.... Worst thing? The police left before I got to them, and clearly let them continue to drive...

In hindsight, I should have started the ride later... I know early mornings in Cape Town are dangerous, and should know better. I should have taken the ******* keys and threw them over a fence instead of just standing there incredulously after his slurred response... I should have taken a licence plate...

But in the heat of it, all the stories flowed through my head instead, and I was just grateful i was barely brushed.. Im grateful that in 7 years of adult cycling, this is the only contact with vehicles I've had... I'm grateful to be writing this and grateful I got to finish a beautiful ride today...

Be careful when out there. No one cares about you.

Dammit...Glad you are OK.

Really, really pleased that you were not seriously hurt.

Please don't blame yourself for riding on a road at a certain time when you have EVERY right to do it.

The mofos who hit you are blameworthy, not you.

Yes taxi driver drove like a taxi driver but the biker has a you tube videos and......

He is half to blame for some of the incidents in he's video, not driving defensively etc etc

Surprised this guy is still alive...

Surprised this guy is still alive...

From those videos it seems as if he is a very aggressive guy, almost like he enjoys sprinting away at at a green light just so he can confront any cars that have possibly been waiting in the road to turn.

Really dont think it helps his cause to collect these altercations with others as well as the fact that he found out the hard way that confronting a taxi on a bike in SA is also not the smartest move.

From those videos it seems as if he is a very aggressive guy, almost like he enjoys sprinting away at at a green light just so he can confront any cars that have possibly been waiting in the road to turn.

Really dont think it helps his cause to collect these altercations with others as well as the fact that he found out the hard way that confronting a taxi on a bike in SA is also not the smartest move.

That first video he sped up to confront the taxi. That dudes full of agro

Report the inciend with a registered letter to the head of the road traffic police follow it up with couriered letter. Send the license number

• 3 months later...

It was my turn this morning unfortunately.

At the end of the road I live in, I was stationary at the T junction, looking right to see where I could cross into the road.

Car came from my left side, to join my road.

He cut the corner, didn't see me, I ended up on the bonnet.

cut lip, bruised jaw, buckled rim.

so no biggie, but not lekker.

Main issue is my road is a rat run in the morning am.

traffic backs up into all adjoining roads as people try and game the queues to get over the bridge nearby.

Driver was really sorry, got all details. his daughter was quite shocked by it.

I have filed accident report with SAPS

Funnily enough have recently been asked to take up a role within the local residents association to look at traffic issues.

NOW I'm really going for it.

At the end of the road I live in, I was stationary at the T junction, looking right to see where I could cross into the road.

traffic backs up into all adjoining roads as people try and game the queues to get over the bridge nearby.

Funnily enough have recently been asked to take up a role within the local residents association to look at traffic issues.

Sorry to hear about this accident. Hope you direct the energy into the traffic issues in your area.

Also make sure you stay on top of the case. Drivers are all nice after they bumped you and then lawyer up and turn nasty making it your fault for being a cyclist.

Glad to hear you're ok!

Very specific tangent time. If you're going to get stuck in the traffic management, here's something to look into (other than having everyone ride bikes, of course). Extend Steenberg Road (M42) to M5. No traffic lights with a bridge over the train track. Nice and direct. There apparently was a plan to do it and you can see that space has been made available. It will go past the estuary, which sucks but the traffic over the bridge and trucks going down Albertyn Road/ getting stuck under the bridge is not sustainable. I know that building more roads doesn't really solve congestion but I can't see us winning with active or public transport in this area any time soon.

I noticed your post about the accident registry on another thread. I'm sorry to hear about the cause of the new found motivation. Glad you came out of it able to ride again. Seemingly small things like cutting a corner can be so devastating. Hope you're back on the bike soon!