Munga 2018 Race news

The Munga

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dots did so well over night!

Interesting to see the different tactics around sleep!!

Anyone know that beach riding that Ramses does the rest of the year? is that also massive distances or more of just tough training?

40km seperating the top 10 after 21 hours of racing. That's tight!

The field looks pretty stacked this year!

Ramses is going like a steam train.

what i really like about Munga is that relative 'nobodies' can mix it up at the front.

prime example is Hein Visser who won in 2016, I am not sure many had heard of

he's stirring it thickly too again.

thinus redelinghuys? check him here - https://www.instagram.com/thinus29/

15034606_354282188250375_536948427140261

Fanie Venter won transcape this year

https://www.facebook.com/transcapemtb/videos/arthur-wayne-mcduling-and-fanie-venter-win-mens-team-title-at-liberty-transcapem/1557124351002299/

My dots did so well over night!

Interesting to see the different tactics around sleep!!

Anyone know that beach riding that Ramses does the rest of the year? is that also massive distances or more of just tough training?

As far as I know mainly a Dutch thing. Typical race is around 100km but clearly tough on and (even is it's the harder part next to the water line). Laurens ten Dam is into it.

Do not think it does not for the ultra endurance prep required for Munga though.

Had a quick look on Pro Cycling stats and Ramses has no major results to his name in hs pro career. The loony-tune long distance stuff is clearly his forte

I see Wayne McD is back on the course, but is continuing towards CT, not going back to where he left the course.  Hmmmm

The Ladies is also close. wonder when they will start to split major. 

1.Janine to 2.Sarah 19km (1hr gap+-)

2.Sarah to 3.Nina = 14km

1.Janine to 3.Nina = 33km

1.Janine to 4Elaine= 38km

1.Janine to 5Anri = 39km (2hr gap+-)

You just have to love a bit of local flavor mixing it up.  Just shows you the pedigree of amateur SA riders we have.  Hats off to the guys and girls that put in the time and effort and balancing it with work and life.

what i really like about Munga is that relative 'nobodies' can mix it up at the front.

prime example is Hein Visser who won in 2016, I am not sure many had heard of

he's stirring it thickly too again.

thinus redelinghuys? check him here 

Fanie Venter won transcape this year

post-110180-0-29676500-1543477305_thumb.png

post-110180-0-10372900-1543478327_thumb.jpg

This is exactly how it is. Once you have the experience you carry less and less stuff. Preparation is vital for the top 5 guys. He must have it down to a fine line. Same with every race. You can see the riders who have the past experience and carry very little as to the newbies who carry all the stuff on the list. The man is a machine.

If you check the highlights footage of his win at 36One & speak to other spectators that were there, RB does a Pitstop faster than a F1 race car. Very Very well organised he is. His support crew which was his mother had everything laid out for him he just had to do the rest.

22 hours into the race and 38 riders are already through Britstown and only 47km separating Ramses from Mike in 10th place.  With the leaders 295km ahead of the tail of the field....the guys are flying!

I see Wayne McD is back on the course, but is continuing towards CT, not going back to where he left the course.  Hmmmm

Jip...he had a hell of a detour (almost similar to what he would have ridden on the original route)...don't think he would receive his medal (to be honest), might finish, but it's not part of the rules...need to enter again where the route was exited  :excl:  :blink:

Jo I feel for an oke that goes off course.All your hard work and then a silly mistake.

Britstown will be boiling hot even in the hotel.That a ancient building must be some serious history there.

The next stretch has a crapload of gates and very corrigated twin tracks

Archived