The Veganism Thread

Odinson

Before I get called for trolling I'm posting this because a) veganism/environmentalism is perhaps making our farmers change the way they do stuff, and b) the idea of dense grazing making cows eat more efficiently seems quite cool.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/06/africa/agriculture-regenerative-farming-climate-crisis-intl/index.html

I do realise that the cows still die, so while this might work for the save-the-planet vegans, it doesn't work for save-the-cows.

Edited by 100Tours

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I get called for trolling I'm posting this because a) veganism/environmentalism is perhaps making our farmers change the way they do stuff, and b) the idea of dense grazing making cows eat more efficiently seems quite cool.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/06/africa/agriculture-regenerative-farming-climate-crisis-intl/index.html

I do realise that the cows still die, so while this might work for the save-the-planet vegans, it doesn't work for save-the-cows.

This solution is amazing to reduce CO2.

But can't reduce CH4/methane in any way as trees only absorb CO2.

I think its great when cattle eat in grasslands and eat what's leftover of a dead/dying crop. They then get rid of the stuff humans can't consume.

World hunger can be partially solved if most of our grains and crops didn't go into livestock feed.

Been in SA for a little bit. Had to go to a braai, bought some Beyond patties from Woolies (yussus R140 for 2) and it was great.

Was forced to Go to Spur today, again Beyond burger.

South Africans are running out of excuses to reduce meat intake.

Edited by Patchelicious

Been in SA for a little bit. Had to go to a braai, bought some Beyond patties from Woolies (yussus R140 for 2) and it was great.

Met one of my UK based clients who grew up in SA for a biz lunch. He just had to go to the Spur Waterfront - the onion rings make him happy.

I was forced to go to the Spur. ????????‍♂️

what about eating healthy? I'm all for reducing meat, but Beyond etc. doesn't appeal to me at all. sorry Patch - fake meat doesn't motivate me.

what about eating healthy? I'm all for reducing meat, but Beyond etc. doesn't appeal to me at all. sorry Patch - fake meat doesn't motivate me.

I tried the Spur one. Given the option I would take a chargrilled meat patty 10/10 times.

You don’t need have fake meat. It’s just my vice. As somebody who made the choice not because of taste, it does help keep me on the straight and narrow.

Seriously? I've highlighted the exact reason you already gave. What percentage of South Africans do you think can afford that kind of expense on a regular basis? 

Seriously? I've highlighted the exact reason you already gave. What percentage of South Africans do you think can afford that kind of expense on a regular basis?

Frame question a little differently.

What percentage of recreational cyclists, ie Hubbers, can afford that on an occasional basis?

Not exactly to your question. But last night we tried Beyond mince for the first time, made it into a bolognese with spag. It was freakishly similar to what I remember mince meat tasting like. But the taste aside, it was the texture of it that really did me. It has that same slightly chewy, more textured springy bite than most of the fake minces we've tried before.

To be honest afterwards, as delicious as it was, we both agreed its a little too similar and will probably rarely have it again. It a strange feeling to describe.

Maybe more to your point, possibly one doesn't actually need to chase the memory of eating meat after a certain time. 

To be honest afterwards, as delicious as it was, we both agreed its a little too similar and will probably rarely have it again. It a strange feeling to describe.

Maybe more to your point, possibly one doesn't actually need to chase the memory of eating meat after a certain time. 

This is something I struggle with a lot. I absolutely detest faux meats. The mouth feel is too similar and it messes with my little brain.

I think they are great for people transitioning, but once you have made the move and adapted and found your love for veggies, you wont need it anymore.