The Veganism Thread

Odinson

Interesting read, Im sure there will be a few counter articles.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/4112887002?__twitter_impression=true

"Plant-based meat might enjoy the perception of being healthier, but that perception is far from reality. A lean beef burger has an average of nearly 20% fewer calories and 80% less sodium than the two most popular fake-meat burgers, the Impossible Burger and the Beyond Burger.

Fake meat is also an “ultra-processed” food, filled with unpronounceable ingredients. The National Institutes of Health released a study in May finding that ultra-processed foods cause weight gain. Unlike observational studies, this research was a controlled, randomized study. "

All processed food..meat or vegan is bad for you.. end van prent.

Also bleh those burgers that you buy in a box from a store are crap..bleh, make it from scratch of you really want a burger.

Speaking of

Does anyone on here have a tried and tested Vegan burger patty recipe.

Edited by Gen

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All processed food..meat or vegan is bad for you.. end van prent.

As a meat eater I can substitute processed meat with real meat. What is the vegan alternative to processed "meat"?

As a meat eater I can substitute processed meat with real meat. What is the vegan alternative to processed "meat"?

I once made "mince" from lentils, it wasn't terrible...but you have to add some things to give it a meaty taste... so suppose that's were the extra sodium etc may come from

But a serious question to the Vegans..if you are anti meat consumption why would you want something that is plant based to taste like meat?[emoji2368]

Thx.. the black bean one looks like an option.

In on holiday at the moment. I'll post my favourites when I get home...and remember! Black bean and Shiitake are the best...

I once made "mince" from lentils, it wasn't terrible...[emoji2368]

No man.. ???? I also prefer my food a little better than "not terrible"

In on holiday at the moment. I'll post my favourites when I get home...and remember! Black bean and Shiitake are the best...

I will actually give the black bean ones a try.

I will actually give the black bean ones a try.

Excellent!

I've tried the Ultimate and Beyond burgers and to be honest I prefer traditional veggie burgers.

They're both more "meaty" than traditional veggie burgers so I guess they'd appeal to people wanting to replace meat but for out and out quality I prefer bean based burgers.

Excellent!

I've tried the Ultimate and Beyond burgers and to be honest I prefer traditional veggie burgers.

I think the article refers to off the shelf and fast food meat substitutes. Like most food, anything homemade can be healthier, because you know exactly what goes in. Unfortunately we live in a fast food/convenient food world.

No man.. [emoji23] I also prefer my food a little better than "not terrible"

Ja nee.. my kids said.. well it wasn't terrible

but let's not do that again.

Think the problem was trying to get ot to taste like meat..it isn't meat it is lentils

And I actually like lentils.. I often add it to rice gives the bland rice some flavour.

I think the article refers to off the shelf and fast food meat substitutes. Like most food, anything homemade can be healthier, because you know exactly what goes in. Unfortunately we live in a fast food/convenient food world.

Indeed. Processed food is probably the biggest food threat to health in my opinion. It's much too easy to take in vast amounts of empty calories and unhealthy additives.

Gotta eat that **** in moderation!

Think the problem was trying to get ot to taste like meat..it isn't meat it is lentils

And I actually like lentils.. I often add it to rice gives the bland rice some flavour.

The combination of paprika, raw beetroot, black beans and pepper will give a nice taste your kids will enjoy.

That is the challenge and reward with veggie food. You start with a blank canvas - at first you eat a lot of mistakes but once you master the art of flavour building and compounding you open up a world of new experiences.

I love meat but in many ways you're limited to meat flavour with one or two additions.

Good luck with the kids :-)

I once made "mince" from lentils, it wasn't terrible...but you have to add some things to give it a meaty taste... so suppose that's were the extra sodium etc may come from

But a serious question to the Vegans..if you are anti meat consumption why would you want something that is plant based to taste like meat?[emoji2368]

Had a vegetarian mate who made homemade lentil burgers.They did not taste like meat.They tasted like lentil burgers and they were delicious.He had to make extra for all of us meat eaters at the braai.

didn't you used to own a burger joint...? ;)  

and I can vouch the vegetarian option was very yummy.