The Veganism Thread

Odinson

Don't let 1 person's opinion put you off. Hell I'm vegan friendly and even I find some of his opinions abrasive.

I'm pretty sure the answer to all your questions are available online.

Vegan dairy is shyte. The only vegan dairy remotely palatable is the cheese - only when it's molten!

It would be a bit sad if Odinsons opinions and his treatment of Dale (I gave zero idea on that) put you off the meat reduction path. Meat reduction is a noble cause all on it's own.

Edited by Eldron

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And thats the problem with vegans, its either do or die, they are not interested in small gradual changes. .

Now you are stereotyping and generalising.

I’m a vegan, I am really happy with small steps people make.

Each burger you don’t eat is part of the solution.

I’m glad you have reduced your meat intake. It’s a step in a great direction. And even if you never go full vegan by reducing your consumption you are playing a role in a complicated solution.

Imagine the entire world population stops eating meat.

LOL ???? it is just not viable. Economies will crash and people will die of hunger.

LOL it is just not viable. Economies will crash and people will die of hunger.

Its hardly going to happen overnight is it? 

LOL it is just not viable. Economies will crash and people will die of hunger.

Im not sure anyone would die of hunger or any economies would crash.

The reality is that everyone, regardless of beliefs should be cutting down on their meat intake.

The health benefits, impact to the environment and savings on food cost should be reason enough.

There is also the flipside of just exploring other ways of cooking and food that doesnt revolve around the meat. My wife and I started just by exploring ways to cut down on meat consumption, the dishes she came up with were so good that we just stopped eating meat altogether. 

So really what Im trying to say is that aside from the moral aspects its nice to just try different things, you may end up enjoying it.

I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but just watched a programme called The Game Changers on Netflix, specifically about athletes and plant based diet, worth a watch

I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but just watched a programme called The Game Changers on Netflix, specifically about athletes and plant based diet, worth a watch

Yeah, Its pretty good.

I enjoyed the fact that it wasnt your typical Doom and Gloom type of diet movie. Rather around performance benefits.

Gosh, some of those people are ripped as all hell. 

Yeah, Its pretty good.

I enjoyed the fact that it wasnt your typical Doom and Gloom type of diet movie. Rather around performance benefits.

I thought the experiment around erections would appeal to some men that would not consider the relationship between diet and sexual health.

I thought the experiment around erections would appeal to some men that would not consider the relationship between diet and sexual health.

It sort of substantiates using an eggplant emoji! LOL

Yeah, Its pretty good.

As someone who was asked by one of my athletes to watch the movie to determine if it was something she could follow, I found it mostly a gross misrepresentation of the science. In fact just simply googling the performance of the athletes since 2017 when it was filmed disproves the thesis. And the quoted scientific studies are either totally misused or are actually funded by people with a direct financial interest in the result.

That doesn't mean everything is false - I myself very rarely eat red meat nowadays, if at all. But as a true assessment of a vegan diet in performance it just isn't kosher or halaal.

But I will say this as my one serious contribution to the direction to the thread:

- anyone who says that the exploitation of animals is OK, and that we could not survive a vast reduction in using animal products, worldwide, is wrong.

- anyone who says that a strict vegan diet is optimal for human performance, is also wrong.

The truth, like *sigh* most things, lies somewhere in the middle and involves an ethical decision balanced against optimal nutrition.

I was watching Survivor a few nights ago, and after winning a challenge the tribe opted for live egg laying chickens over rice.

One of the tribe members bonded with one of the chickens and provided comfort to the chciken. It was actually quite strange since the chickens would usually make a run for it whenever anyone got close, but with this tribe member the chicken allowed her to get close and pick it up and comfort it. However when hunger struck, the tribe decided it was time to slaughter it and have a proper meal, and this tribe member was now obviously shattered.

Im not sure anyone would die of hunger or any economies would crash.

The reality is that everyone, regardless of beliefs should be cutting down on their meat intake.

The health benefits, impact to the environment and savings on food cost should be reason enough.

There is also the flipside of just exploring other ways of cooking and food that doesnt revolve around the meat. My wife and I started just by exploring ways to cut down on meat consumption, the dishes she came up with were so good that we just stopped eating meat altogether.

So really what Im trying to say is that aside from the moral aspects its nice to just try different things, you may end up enjoying it.

How can you say that everyone should be cutting down on their meet intake.

I eat red meat about once a week, I don't need to cut down on anything.

What health benefits will be derived from not eating good (halal or kosher) red meat? Are there studies to prove this?

Watched it last night as my 'Sunday Movie'...

Quite interesting...

Interesting read, Im sure there will be a few counter articles.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/4112887002?__twitter_impression=true

"Plant-based meat might enjoy the perception of being healthier, but that perception is far from reality. A lean beef burger has an average of nearly 20% fewer calories and 80% less sodium than the two most popular fake-meat burgers, the Impossible Burger and the Beyond Burger.

Fake meat is also an “ultra-processed” food, filled with unpronounceable ingredients. The National Institutes of Health released a study in May finding that ultra-processed foods cause weight gain. Unlike observational studies, this research was a controlled, randomized study. "