The Veganism Thread

Odinson

Excellent!

I've tried the Ultimate and Beyond burgers and to be honest I prefer traditional veggie burgers.

They're both more "meaty" than traditional veggie burgers so I guess they'd appeal to people wanting to replace meat but for out and out quality I prefer bean based burgers.

Whatever you do, avoid a tofu burger. I love tofu, but it does not belong in a burger. Ever! 

I have yet to try beyond burgers, simply cause I refuse to pay that much for it. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever you do, avoid a tofu burger. I love tofu, but it does not belong in a burger. Ever! 

I have yet to try beyond burgers, simply cause I refuse to pay that much for it. 

Tofu remains one of the worst things I have ever eaten.The others are macaroni cheese and brinjals

Tofu remains one of the worst things I have ever eaten.The others are macaroni cheese and brinjals

The devil himself invented eggplants. Actually come to think of it, the fact that aubergines exist should be proof enough that a god doesn’t. No being that can love would bestow an abomination like brinjals on us!

The devil himself invented eggplants. Actually come to think of it, the fact that aubergines exist should be proof enough that a god doesn’t. No being that can love would bestow an abomination like brinjals on us!

No way...I use eggs plants with tomatoes...onions...peppers...some smoked Paprika....chillis and baby marrows...the egg plants do need to be nice and young without the tough skin...cook it all up...add some decent veg stock...let it reduce and thicken and there you go!

Makes a great sauce for pasta....'tatoes...rice etc and freezes well...perfect for the single cyclist's hectic lifestyle....!

Edited by Mojoman

yep.

Made good burgers too. Won some awards.

Now I am powered by avocado. attachicon.gifAdjustments.JPG

Vegan burgers are difficult. If you try make them similar to meat, they suck. If you just try and celebrate the veg, they rock!

I thought that real vegans don't eat avocados.

Or almonds..

Something about exploitation of the bees.

I thought that real vegans don't eat avocados.

Or almonds..

Something about exploitation of the bees.

Yeah, there are two camps on this.

I suppose like most things in life, there are the extremists. Personally, I think its almost impossible to avoid animals in every instance (bees are a good example)

My philosophy is that there is the world of Black or white, but most humans live in the grey area in between. The closer you move towards the better side of living, the more good you are doing.

I know that Bees are used for Avos in south america, but all NZ avos are grown locally, I dont think bees are involved here (could be wrong though)

I suppose I cant really call myself a true vegan as my car has a leather interior and I have one pair of leather shoes. Granted, those were purchased before moving towards veganism, and it seems more wasteful to throw them away and buy alternatives because of my lifestyle choice. When the car and shoes eventually need replacing, I will probably replace with a vegan friendly version.

Oh, and I ate some cheese on the weekend. Was at a kids party and had a sandwich, didnt realise there was cheese on it until the third or fourth bite - my stomach was not happy - I farted like a man possesed.

EDIT : Just found out Kiwi Avos are indeed polinated by bees

Edited by Wayne Potgieter

Oh, and I ate some cheese on the weekend. Was at a kids party and had a sandwich, didnt realise there was cheese on it until the third or fourth bite - my stomach was not happy - I farted like a man possesed.

It's not farting. It's 'Channelling your inner cow' or at worst, 'Exorcising the demons'!

Can I get a Hallelujah?

Did someone send you the eggplant emoji too many times, Patch?

Thinly sliced fried eggplantbrinjalaubergine is fantastic!

Urghh

I can think of many things thinly sliced that are fantastic and they are not one of them.

Next on the least liked list is ratatouille

Edited by Kranswurm

i am trying to eat plant based 2'ice a week. i want to ask something quickly , what is your take on Soy products? I see alot of mixed reports relating to Soy based products?

How can you say that everyone should be cutting down on their meet intake.

I eat red meat about once a week, I don't need to cut down on anything.

What health benefits will be derived from not eating good (halal or kosher) red meat? Are there studies to prove this?

You arent exactly the typical South African I was referring to are you?

Most people eat meat daily and my comments were directed at them.

The second point about not eating "good" red meat, honestly you would have had to have your head in the sand for the last few years to not have seen all of the medical advice from the heart foundations etc etc about that. There is no good red meat, the methods of slaughter dont make a difference other than for religious reasons.

Im not trying to convince anyone about anything, we all need to make our own choices on what is right and wrong.

Imagine the entire world population stops eating meat.

LOL ???? it is just not viable. Economies will crash and people will die of hunger.

actually not.That's the exact opposite of what will happen. All the cow and pig feed they use causes famine especially in poor African countries. That food can feed way more people than what their meat can feed people

i am trying to eat plant based 2'ice a week. i want to ask something quickly , what is your take on Soy products? I see alot of mixed reports relating to Soy based products?

I don't touch procced soy products, not that it's bad. I only eat whole soy products because it's cheaper.