The Veganism Thread

Odinson

Only vegan news I read today was about that Duratrainer or whatever his name is youtuber got beaten up today outside a banana store or something like that. Think he calls himself the vegan cyclist.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to spur and ate the bean burger. It was really good. I wouldnt be surprised if the chef cooked my pattie on a contaminated grill, knowing how the spur operates.

What’s the price of that compared to a regular spur burger?

Expensive.

No, that's normal Spur pricing. The exception is the Beyond Burger at the same price as a double spur burger, which given the cost of the Beyond patties themselves isn't surprising. 

Reasonable considering what Bugers cost IMO...or any restaurant meal for that matter

Thanks to Patches awesome link I was able to determine the cost of a regular cheeseburger which was 82 rand. Compare that to 135 rands for the vegan alternative with cheese means the vegan alternative is according to my maths around 62% more expensive than the meat alternative.

To my mind, that is expensive in relation to the alternatives.

If one looks at the other options they are on par with meat pricing. Considering the efforts it goes to creating meat products surely the meat free versions should be cheaper, or is there some sort of trend tax being applied here?

Edited by IceCreamMan

Thanks to Patches awesome link I was able to determine the cost of a regular cheeseburger which was 82 rand. Compare that to 135 rands for the vegan alternative with cheese means the vegan alternative is according to my maths around 62% more expensive than the meat alternative.

To my mind, that is expensive in relation to the alternatives.

If one looks at the other options they are on par with meat pricing. Considering the efforts it goes to creating meat products surely the meat free versions should be cheaper, or is there some sort of trend tax being applied here?

Have you seen the normal sale price of a Beyond burger patty? That's why. 

the other vegan options are on par with the "normal" cheese burger. 

Yeah I am seeing Vegan prices from R76-R135

And for the beef burger prices also vary from R76-R135 Depending if you want single or double and which toppings you want.

It is much of a muchness really

I find being vegetarian a whole lot cheaper than eating meat.

Its probably about the same if not more expensive(than meat) to be full vegan though with all of the substitutes you have to use.

The idea of being a full vegan is great but its just a little too much for me at this point.

Why compare apples with apples when you can compare Kobe beef burgers with a Quorn burger patty to make a point.

The cost to consumer is one that requires careful analysis. A vegetarian/vegan diet should theoretically be cheaper due to input costs, all things considered. Beyond meat sell all they make so no need to look at pricing yet but one day it will be forced to. Maybe a case of the emperors new diet at this point. Beef, of any variety, is certainly more expensive considering all factors at play than artificial meat to produce.

https://www.livekindly.co/vegan-meat-cheaper-animal-meat/

When faced with a beef cheeseburger for 82 rand or vegan cheese burger at 135 rand the consumer makes many decisions in the purchasing phase. Price is certainly a factor.

Vegan diets only become expensive when processed foods are factored in. As vegan demand is met by more producers this will certainly become cheaper.

The cost to consumer is one that requires careful analysis. A vegetarian/vegan diet should theoretically be cheaper due to input costs, all things considered. Beyond meat sell all they make so no need to look at pricing yet but one day it will be forced to. Maybe a case of the emperors new diet at this point. Beef, of any variety, is certainly more expensive considering all factors at play than artificial meat to produce.

https://www.livekindly.co/vegan-meat-cheaper-animal-meat/

When faced with a beef cheeseburger for 82 rand or vegan cheese burger at 135 rand the consumer makes many decisions in the purchasing phase. Price is certainly a factor.

Vegan diets only become expensive when processed foods are factored in. As vegan demand is met by more producers this will certainly become cheaper.

I agree, buying a Tesla is waaaay cheaper than buying a Lamborghini, so why haven’t we all gone electric?

so far there's no one switching off the petrol pumps in my area 4 times a week..

That's for us poor cahns that can only afford ICE Kia's.