The SKY is falling

ScottCM

Hard to believe but is the case. If a GC contender comes to the tour under cooked, what are the chances his domestiques are any better prepared?

Not many teams send their TDF squads on training camps leading up to TDF, look how few race days Thomas had before TDF last year and Froome the year before. No other team does that.

Yeah 100% also think there are many levels of " professional" in the peloton still today..no doubt about that.The riders that move between teams a bit has lots of exposure to this and there are many examples of this.

Love the stories Cadel told about some of the teams he rode with..did not think spending money on TT equipment was worth it..no training for TTT..no specific weight management.

Can just look at Landa this year to see the difference strictly enforced measures make on how a rider perform.

Think it was Pinot that said at the end of last year that he decide to spend some time in the wind tunnel and work on his TT position...you would think he would have done that years ago..

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think they will struggle with finding a sponsor big enough.Lets see but I think they will have the right connections to get it done.

Would actually not mind if they end up a bit smaller but probably not much will change

Remember that SKY Tv is just a sponsor. The team is administered and managed by British Cycling. So just sponsorship will change. May have to trim the fat if future sponsors can't fund the animal at the size it is currently

Sky Media own the team .. there was some overlap with British Cycling with Brailsford et al which led to conflict of interests issues, I don't think they play any formal role in Team Sky, although the whole shabang was a spin off of the same.

Does not surprise me at all.

Imagine forking out money for a team that has been shadowed by scandals.

Claiming they are clean, and then one rider fades from the scene after suspect medical consignments, and then the other forfeits winning a race to save face, after he has been caught with his hands in the cookie jar.

Will not miss them at all.

Sir Dave Brailsford has spoken of his gratitude for Sky’s involvement in cycling but is ready to embrace the team’s next chapter.

https://www.skysports.com/cycling/news/21683/11578815/sir-dave-brailsford-grateful-to-team-sky-for-fantastic-partnership

The team will compete as Team Sky for the last time throughout the 2019 road racing season, aiming to add to its total of 322 all-time wins including eight Grand Tours, 52 other stage races and 25 one-day races.

Likely scenarios

???? There’s a scandal that is just to become public

???? Far less lucrative sponsorship will have Froome, Bernal, Gee as GC stars become new recruits for other teams

Above all else, it’s the near end of the Sky dynasty.

It bring relief as racing may become more of a level playing field

One wonders , well i always do , when it comes to sport , especially at this level ...WHAT drives a main sponsor to cash in all the chips and call it a day??...Had enough??...bad vibes with the public??....argy bargy with the managers , coaches , players/riders in this case OR feel they will get more bang for their buck elsewhere??...Reason I muse these things , is , coz at this level its not wake up one morning and BOOM...sorry okies BUT you not getting a salary next month....lotsa going on at the little coffe shop on the street corner when two or three suits get together...sad in a way really ...that other peoples lives are put into a spin coz some suit has a whim n a fancy... :wacko:

I’m pretty confident that there would have been new named sponsors lined up before this was announced.

You don’t sign massive riders without a few scenario plans.

One wonders , well i always do , when it comes to sport , especially at this level ...WHAT drives a main sponsor to cash in all the chips and call it a day??...Had enough??...bad vibes with the public??....argy bargy with the managers , coaches , players/riders in this case OR feel they will get more bang for their buck elsewhere??...Reason I muse these things , is , coz at this level its not wake up one morning and BOOM...sorry okies BUT you not getting a salary next month....lotsa going on at the little coffe shop on the street corner when two or three suits get together...sad in a way really ...that other peoples lives are put into a spin coz some suit has a whim n a fancy... :wacko:

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist and reckon it is because of this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2018/09/25/comcast-wins-sky-bid-step-in-and-buy/#26fade3a21c0

No Murdoch no Sky:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/business-usual-team-sky-despite-parent-company-takeover-departure-james-murdoch-396908

Yeah 100% also think there are many levels of " professional" in the peloton still today..no doubt about that.The riders that move between teams a bit has lots of exposure to this and there are many examples of this.

Love the stories Cadel told about some of the teams he rode with..did not think spending money on TT equipment was worth it..no training for TTT..no specific weight management.

Can just look at Landa this year to see the difference strictly enforced measures make on how a rider perform.

Think it was Pinot that said at the end of last year that he decide to spend some time in the wind tunnel and work on his TT position...you would think he would have done that years ago..

Yeah, you also read some of the riders books where they are sort left for months with little contact before the race season. The media portrays this "pro" is a pro. No one says they are not riding their bikes, they just not doing it optimally. 

DHL? 

Are they going to be a team of hipster bike messengers?

I'm pretty convinced the team as such will survive. If not then so be it.

T-Mobile and US Postal were once synonymous with the pro peleton and the thought of not seeing them there was preposterous.

Things change Mox... someone else will be the starting quarterback and get the whipped cream bikinis for a while

Rumour has it DHL is keen to take over Sky sponsorship and its going to be bigger budget than Sky!

Bag delivery option would be endless.

DHL? 

Are they going to be a team of hipster bike messengers?

I'm pretty convinced the team as such will survive. If not then so be it.

T-Mobile and US Postal were once synonymous with the pro peleton and the thought of not seeing them there was preposterous.

Things change Mox... someone else will be the starting quarterback and get the whipped cream bikinis for a while

I am just scared watching a yellow train at le Tour. That logo is hard to make sexy

Archived