MTB Tyre Sealant Choices

DarrenV

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How new are the tyres? I find that brand new Onzas seep.

Got them December a year ago, seeped from the beginning and still seeping after a year +

Got them December a year ago, seeped from the beginning and still seeping after a year +

I might be out of sealant then. I thought mine stopped after about 4 months.

I might be out of sealant then. I thought mine stopped after about 4 months.

I put 80ml every few months and yesterday I've put another 180ml in and rode on the rollers for a while. Will see what happens. I'm gatvol with these tyres. Edited by BSG

• 2 weeks later...

When I bought the Giant it came with tubeless conversion done ... never managed to find out what product they used.

I topped up with SLUDGE.

post-110956-0-47812700-1615107673_thumb.jpg

Lots of thorns where we ride, so each ride sees a few more thorn holes plugged ....  I top up the Sludge every 3 to 4 months.

2 400 km later, in 12 months, I replaced the rear tire. This is what I found inside ....

post-110956-0-41386500-1615107695_thumb.jpg

about 60 ml of selant (roughly my last top-up)

post-110956-0-98794400-1615107753_thumb.jpg

The inside of the tire had very little layering, much less than I have seen in other tires.

Will see what it looks like when I replace the new tire .... very much an ongoing experiment.  This time only SLUDGE will be used.

At least this seems to allign with what Grease_Monkey said .... when you ride more and replace the tires in a shorter time span, it seems as if the build up is less.  Certainly no need to wash out the inside of the tire, when ridden this often.

I cleaned the inside of the rim and the original rim-tape.  The tire fitted "too loosely", just no way to pop it on .... Adding a layer of Gorilla tape did the trick.  You could feel the tire was not "loose" on the rim, and it popped immediately.  :thumbup:

post-110956-0-95963700-1615107910_thumb.jpg

I use this "rim-hanger" ... really makes the job a LOT easier.  :clap:

When I bought the Giant it came with tubeless conversion done ... never managed to find out what product they used.

I topped up with SLUDGE.

attachicon.gifTubeless-2.jpg

Lots of thorns where we ride, so each ride sees a few more thorn holes plugged ....  I top up the Sludge every 3 to 4 months.

2 400 km later, in 12 months, I replaced the rear tire. This is what I found inside ....

attachicon.gifTL-3.jpg

about 60 ml of selant (roughly my last top-up)

attachicon.gifTL-2.jpg

The inside of the tire had very little layering, much less than I have seen in other tires.

Will see what it looks like when I replace the new tire .... very much an ongoing experiment.  This time only SLUDGE will be used.

At least this seems to allign with what Grease_Monkey said .... when you ride more and replace the tires in a shorter time span, it seems as if the build up is less.  Certainly no need to wash out the inside of the tire, when ridden this often.

I cleaned the inside of the rim and the original rim-tape.  The tire fitted "too loosely", just no way to pop it on .... Adding a layer of Gorilla tape did the trick.  You could feel the tire was not "loose" on the rim, and it popped immediately.  :thumbup:

attachicon.gifTL-5.jpg

I use this "rim-hanger" ... really makes the job a LOT easier.  :clap:

Sealant Dries in Air Making that Porridge That You See in the Picture.

It's unavoidable with the heat etc etc.

I'm Now Trying 200 ml with a new back Tyre. Not going to Top Up.

Not Going to Deflate. Just plug punctures from the outside.

Gonna See if it lasts the life of the back tyre.

Tubeless is actually a Pita but I like the challenge.

I've also come to the conclusion that as far as Tubeless is concerned Maxxis is the Best tyres.

They actually stay inflated without sealant when Brand New.

I've also come to the conclusion that as far as Tubeless is concerned Maxxis is the Best tyres.

During the life of that tire I topped up a total of almost 200ml.

Only 60ml left ....

Between sealant escaping via thorn holes, and the thin layer, the original dose does not last for the life of the tire.

200ml for the lifetime of a tyre? You are expecting too much from your sealant or too little from your tyre.

As a rule of thumb I top up tyres 50ml per month, take off and clean every 3 months and refill with 120ml per tyre. Most of the time when it comes to clean up it's very little left in the tyre.

I ride between 8 and 13 hours a week.

200ml for the lifetime of a tyre? You are expecting too much from your sealant or too little from your tyre.

As a rule of thumb I top up tyres 50ml per month, take off and clean every 3 months and refill with 120ml per tyre. Most of the time when it comes to clean up it's very little left in the tyre.

I ride between 8 and 13 hours a week.

I'm Also Trying a Sealant That's Supposed to Stay Fluid. (not turn to Porridge)

I ride Mixed Road and Gravel  Also about 13 Hours a Week (660 Km in February) so my Back Tyres Don't Last that Long and I like Fresh Rubber.

I recently did an experiment on an old tyre that still had about 50ml of Stans sealant.(and a lot of porridge inside from topping up).

I punctured it with a small star screwdriver rode the bike and it did not seal. (The Latex seems to deactivate after a while so there is fluid inside but it does nothing.)

Yes as you state Tubeless requires a lot of expensive maintenance just to keep them inflated and maybe give some puncture protection and a softer ride. I often wonder if it's actually worth it.

I'm Also Trying a Sealant That's Supposed to Stay Fluid. (not turn to Porridge)

I ride Mixed Road and Gravel  Also about 13 Hours a Week (660 Km in February) so my Back Tyres Don't Last that Long and I like Fresh Rubber.

I recently did an experiment on an old tyre that still had about 50ml of Stans sealant.(and a lot of porridge inside from topping up).

I punctured it with a small star screwdriver rode the bike and it did not seal. (The Latex seems to deactivate after a while so there is fluid inside but it does nothing.)

Yes as you state Tubeless requires a lot of expensive maintenance just to keep them inflated and maybe give some puncture protection and a softer ride. I often wonder if it's actually worth it.

Topping up sealant takes 5mins a month, and cleaning out and completely refilling (even with cushcore) take 30mins at most every 3 months. Compared to the effort of flat tyres on every second ride with tubes I'd say tubeless save a hell of alot of effort.

As for the cost, if you're not stuck on using Stans or Mucoff, it isn't that expensive either....

But anyway, will be interesting to see how far you get with the 200ml in your rear tyre. I prefer to not get to the point where I start getting punctures. 

• 6 months later...

After 2 months and 3000+ km, today I officially completed my crossing of South Africa from its Northernmost point to its Southernmost point avoiding tar roads as much as possible. When I started, I put in some Enduro Seal in both tubes (I'm not riding tubeless) and I have not had a single puncture since Limpopo!! I think I reinflated my tires only once or twice in 8 weeks! I guess that says it all. 

20210929_153627.jpg

1 hour ago, Phybot said:

After 2 months and 3000+ km, today I officially completed my crossing of South Africa from its Northernmost point to its Southernmost point avoiding tar roads as much as possible. When I started, I put in some Enduro Seal in both tubes (I'm not riding tubeless) and I have not had a single puncture since Limpopo!! I think I reinflated my tires only once or twice in 8 weeks! I guess that says it all. 

20210929_153627.jpg

That is a great achievement!

Enduro Seal is awesome. I have it in my tubeless tyres and in the tubes on my wife's bike.

Edited by Rolf Hansen

• 8 months later...

Enduro for me too. Had a few punctures but seals very fast.

Can i use CO2 with Enduro in my Maxxis tyres ? In emergency.

If you get a Small Thorn Puncture (Devil Thorn) Enduro seals it good and Fast.

Any Other Kind of Puncture Such as Nail or Glass then it Just Bubbles Out.

After Plugging it does Seal but then the Tyre is Toast.