SUV for 300k budget

StokedAboutSpokes

Howzit folks

I'm in the market for a larger vehicle for all our activity needs.

The budget is around 300k.

On the list so far is:

2017 Hyundai Tucson 2.0l Premium Auto- Advantage: Balance of 7 year warranty and balance of 5 year service plan.

2017 Mazda CX-5 Active 2.0l - Balance of 3 year warranty 

New VW Caddy TSI Short wheel base: Advantage: Best fuel consumption of the three options.

I am leaning towards the Hyundai Tucson because of the warranty and service plan, second would be the Caddy because it is new/demo and has great fuel efficiency and a standard 5 year manufacturing warranty.

The Mazda is very nice but I am concerned that it will only have about one year of warranty left when purchased.

What are your thoughts on these three vehicles? Which option would you go for?

*Edit

Requirements: Weekday city runner - medium to light on fuel, enough ground clearance for comfortable gravel road driving, would be used to transport two mountain bikes most weekends on a bike rack / roof rack, bluetooth with a decent sound system.

Does not need to be 4x4. 

Edited by StokedAboutSpokes

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out Haval and Mahindra. really great spec for your buck and will pick up basically new models for your price bracket. 

Thanks! Do you know what the after sales service are like for these two brands?

Edited by StokedAboutSpokes

The Tucson is ok, but it’s base spec.

Get the Mazda and an extended plan.

2.0 motor in the Tucson comes from the original Tucson from 10 years ago. Very lethargic and not that light on juice.

The Tucson is ok, but it’s base spec.

Get the Mazda and an extended plan.

2.0 motor in the Tucson comes from the original Tucson from 10 years ago. Very lethargic and not that light on juice.

Thanks Ouzo - That's the feedback i'm looking for 

I'd be very wary of the cx5. I know of two that overheated months after the warranty expired. It doesn't have a heatgauge, only a light that goes on when it's already warm and on the way to overheating. One engine blew the top gasket, the other needed a total rebuild, the last one was nearly R90K.

The blown topgasket engine overheated because the spring in the radiator cap failed, allowing water to seep out under pressure.

Have you looked at a Subaru Forester? They'll be more dated at your price point, but they have solid engines and excellent road holding.

Howzit folks

I'm in the market for a larger vehicle for all our activity needs.

The budget is around 300k.

On the list so far is:

2017 Hyundai Tucson 2.0l Premium Auto- Advantage: Balance of 7 year warranty and balance of 5 year service plan.

2017 Mazda CX-5 Active 2.0l - Balance of 3 year warranty

New VW Caddy TSI Short wheel base: Advantage: Best fuel consumption of the three options.

I am leaning towards the Hyundai Tucson because of the warranty and service plan, second would be the Caddy because it is new/demo and has great fuel efficiency and a standard 5 year manufacturing warranty.

The Mazda is very nice but I am concerned that it will only have about one year of warranty left when purchased.

What are your thoughts on these three vehicles? Which option would you go for?

Out of the 3, VW every day of the week. Resale value, parts availability and all the other good things.

Suggestion out of left field:

2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Wk Diesel.

You can pick it up for R150k, put the other 150k in unit trust investment which will cover your maintenance costs and unforseen expenses. Big local Jeep community which will keep it running forever. Excellent for off road adventures.

What do you want the SUV to do for you?

Space?

Off road ability?

Height?

then decide what other creature comforts you have to have and what’s nice to have

At 300k can you afford to service it out of pocket or is a plan a must have.

There are some really nice SUVs at 300k if you are willing to go for something older, but you will need to decide if your budget can handle services and maintenance.

I’ve sold a couple of XC60s this month under 300k, but they are out of plan.

With a bit of searching you could probably get one with a year or two left on the plan within your budget.

You can get a new Toyota Rush for R300k.

Also, you can get an extended mechanical warranty on a secondhand vehicle, so just make sure the general condition is great and the mileage not too high. It will cover most of the expensive parts such as gearbox, clutch, engine etc.

You can get a new Toyota Rush for R300k.

Also, you can get an extended mechanical warranty on a secondhand vehicle, so just make sure the general condition is great and the mileage not too high. It will cover most of the expensive parts such as gearbox, clutch, engine etc.

Dont you mean a souped up Avanza?

Cause they took an avanza and made it look like a small tuna.

VW Caddy

I have to many friends/acquaintances with Mahindra problems.

Diesel Duster a better option if you don't want to go with the mainstream brands.