SUV for 300k budget

StokedAboutSpokes

Fortuner is ok if you dont mind the ride quality of a double cab, interior of an early 90s Toyota and the adrenaline rush of not knowing if its going to be taken from you at gun point or liberated from a parking lot.

If you're interested in bakkie based SUVs then take a look at the Everest or Trailblazer 

Disco in that price range I would not touch unless you have an appetite for potentially large repair bills.

You may be lucky and get  a good one, if you do you'll be very happy with it, but in that price range the chances of finding a good one are small.

Yup the fortuner interior is boring as can be but its fairly reliable and tough. The newer everest is nice, the older ones in that price bracket are hideous to say the least. Definitely not a Chevy fan! no idea why because I know they are pretty good, just dont like Opel much.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They're not that bad for the money. We traded almost the identical car in, it was just a 2018 with few km.

2.2 motor not the strongest, but its got enough grunt that you can work around it.

Nicely equipped, didnt look to badly put together.

Really take a long look at the 2.0 litre Diesel kuga titanium. They don't burn !! The titanium has a full house of extras's (adaptive cruise control, lane assist, sun roof, automatic parking to name a few). The 2.0 litre goes really well and returns about 7/100 depending on the way you drive. Very impressed with it and a good second hand one ( 1- 2years old) will cost about 300 ish ??

Take a look.

I've not driven any of the cars listed but in that price range it would take a lot for me to not buy a Renault Duster.

I've not driven any of the cars listed but in that price range it would take a lot for me to not buy a Renault Duster.

Let me try, have a look at the maintenance costs and the resale value. The French cars have a business model that effectively traps you into their vehicles only, be very careful.

Nissan XTrail? doesn't seem to have made it on the list, but it comes with a very good spec for the price. PLus Nissan reliability :) and relatively inexpensive service.

Edited by 100Tours

Nothing I have stated is untrue.

Even the "New" Fortuner has a dated looking cabin. Some people like that though.

Then look at the stats that come out all the time regarding theft and hijacking, Fortuner is always near the top of the list.

Thats not to say it WILL get stolen, just that the probability is much higher than with other vehicles in its class.

The insurance premium agrees with this statement and so does common sense. When I bought my double cab it was a toss up between the hilux and the navara. Hilux is awesome but the insurance was going to be higher and even in 2010 the theft issue was very common. My navara has given me 9 good years of service and I bought it 2nd hand. Its actually 13 years old now.

I concur, It's definately not a car that excites you.  However It is way better than a Fortuner (or similar) performance wise.

Maybe, but you'll also die of boredom having to drive it around...

I got a Demo 2018 Nissan Quasqai for less than that. Crazy light on fuel for the size and a dream on the open road.

Let me try, have a look at the maintenance costs and the resale value. The French cars have a business model that effectively traps you into their vehicles only, be very careful.

You are correct in general about Renault but I'm holding thumbs the Duster would be a bit different.

Not many options in that price range if you are looking for something new that can also handle off-roads.

Extremely light on diesel, also haven't had any maintenance issues on my Duster the past 3 years other than shocks that wore more quickly than expected + finding tires that fit the Duster is a pain in the arse - even in large cities, forget about it if you are in trouble somewhere in the platteland.

Seeing a whole lot of them on the roads (last year when we visited Namibia they were all over the place, apparently rental companies like them there as they are a cheap option that can handle the dirt roads) so I'm hoping the second hand value won't be too terrible, but when the time comes I can live with taking a knock on that giving the good service I got out of it until now.

• 10 months later...

Thread revival ....

My trusty Zafira 2.2 has just stopped, after making loud rattling noises in the engine. It got towed away and the verdict is still outstanding but after 15 year and 270000km, it's time I did some homework regarding what might replace it. :( 

I need:

- A tow vehicle (~1000kg trailer)

- Comfortable highway top gear cruising performance.

- Reasonable gravel road comfort and adequate ground clearance. (The Zafira survived significant abuse and I would like to avoid this on the next car).

- A full sized spare wheel, if possible.

- Otherwise 2WD should be adequate. Costs of purchase, fuel and maintenance for 4WD is probably not justified.

- 5 seats is OK, (family have outgrown the 7 seater) but generous load space and seat room would be appreciated.

- My preference is for petrol and no turbocharger but maybe I should reconsider this. (I am planning on doing another 15 years / 270000km on the next vehicle.)

- I have always driven manuals, but I would look at an automatic. Provided it is economical and can tow.

- A reversing camera would be very nice to have. (For hooking up trailers).

- Fuel consumption of up to 10l/100km.

- Not too big for parking around town.

I would look at a 2 or 3 year old car with up to 60000km. Starting budget R300000. I could go up if the millage is lower.

Any suggestions ....