Bike Hub 2019 Commuters Challenge

Imploder

Any other joburgers get caught in the rain yesterday? It started raining just before I was due to leave work. The rain was not bad enough to warrant a wimp out but the lightning was intense. Luckily yesterday my toppie was in the car so caught a lift home with him. Not sure what I will do after August as he retires this year August. The storm lasted a good few hours, I got called out to work at 19h00 and it was still raining and there were plenty delays due to lightning. What would normally have been a 4 hour job turned into 6 and I only left at 01h00 this morning. I decided to take the car today, just too flipping tired.

did not, however the radio said the highway way stuffed so landed up taking my cycling route home. It took me just as long as it would have taken had I cycled.

I was thinking this sitting in traffic, then looked at the river that used to be a road and thanked the car for keeping me dry

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any other joburgers get caught in the rain yesterday? It started raining just before I was due to leave work. The rain was not bad enough to warrant a wimp out but the lightning was intense. Luckily yesterday my toppie was in the car so caught a lift home with him. Not sure what I will do after August as he retires this year August. The storm lasted a good few hours, I got called out to work at 19h00 and it was still raining and there were plenty delays due to lightning. What would normally have been a 4 hour job turned into 6 and I only left at 01h00 this morning. I decided to take the car today, just too flipping tired.

We got caught in that!

Was a bit dangerous - the dual is in for a service so i took the hardtail; only noticed the taillight's battery was flat in the morning when we left. A headlamp is not enough for Joburg commute.

A kind dude in a huge white bakkie in Outspan saw us waiting for ever for a gap to go down, so he let us in and then stayed behind us and kept other cars off our tails all the way (in bright sunshine I don't like this part because cars try to overtake, so I was very grateful)

The cars at Mattie/William Nicol crossing was crazy, so we decided to go via Spruit anyway. But the river was raging, could not go over.  So back to pavements.

Ended up getting a QOM on one of the seldom-taken hills home - Probably because I was so scared of being invisible that I just wanted to get it over as quickly as possible :D

My Girlfriend stays in Lakeside, roughly 17km from my place in Observatory. I usually cycle from Durbanville (office) to her via my place.

This morning I left her place ... cycled my way home to Observatory, picked up office wear and continued the commute to Durbanville. As I got off the bike ready to chain it at the office I realized I left the office key-set at home ????

Had to cycle back home, and cycled back to office again .... 17 + 24 + 23 + 24 = 88km monster morning commute ....

Sometimes suffering is just suffering. It doesn't make you stronger. It doesn't build character. It only hurts.

I had my little downhill dash home from Greenstone Hill in the rain. Luckily lightening had moved away.

Only issue was crossing the Modderfontein Road (R25) as the traffic lights were out.

You JHB lot are really soft!

Your rain comes in the summer months when the temp is nice and warm .... us CT lot get our rain in the cold winter months ................. and it does not slow us down one bit, we just deal with it and ride our bikes :P

todays rain is getting pushed up here by the front that is bringing snow to the 'berg today.

It is *** cold, not normal summer rain temps.

Also we get proper rain up here, not the pissy little drizzle you capies get.

Your rain comes in the summer months when the temp is nice and warm .... us CT lot get our rain in the cold winter months ................. and it does not slow us down one bit, we just deal with it and ride our bikes :P

Do you now? :ph34r: 

Agg it's not so much the rain but there is a lot of lightning around as well. I also always seem to wear white socks when it rains, today its white versus qhubeka socks. If it's wet then I keep my black work socks on, looks dodge but it saves a decent pair of socks. I also have the option of catching a lift with my toppie.

Haha our summer rain comes with proper lightning and sometimes some hail.

But this outside at the moment looks like proper winter cape town rain. Also been trying different weather sites for a better outlook, but no luck yet. Not very much looking forward to that 5:00 training ride we've got planned for all day tomorrow  :eek:

Edited by cat-i

My new company car is one that cannot be left at home on a saturday as there are always people wanting to test drive it.

My solution was that I'd bring my bike to work on a friday, cycle home, then cycle back to work  saturday morning. This way my car is at work when its needed and I'll get my commute in.

Luckily for me (today that is), I have not bought lights for the bike yet so did not want to risk a commute home at 6pm tonight.

lol, at least you were on your bike!

You can call me a sissy today. It rained non-stop since about midnight and was still raining when I needed to leave so drove today.

Now????? It's a lovely blue sky with the odd light white cloud, if it weren't for the strong wind it would be perfect riding weather. O well.

Just so that you know that the weather this morning in Cape Town was absolutely spectacular and could not be more perfect for cycling to work .... or anywhere for that matter!

You can call me a sissy today. It rained non-stop since about midnight and was still raining when I needed to leave so drove today.

Now????? It's a lovely blue sky with the odd light white cloud, if it weren't for the strong wind it would be perfect riding weather. O well.