For the aviation fans

Lotus

The first overseas trip I went on was on a Luxavia 707 (ex SAA) - I think we stopped at Nairobi and Cairo for juice on the way

I flex Luxair JNB to LUX back in '84. That was a 707 too,

Man you guys are old....

:w00t: 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These pictures belong to a Flickr user by the name of David Brooklyn. Not brilliant quality, but good enough!

I believe they were all taken at ORT (what was then Jan Smuts Airport) back in 1978. I used to cycle there to watch planes around that time, so I was really pleased to find these.

Happy airplane memories! 

post-4874-0-17790900-1585775147_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-23913700-1585775157_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-26560100-1585775171_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-73838100-1585775180_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-19469600-1585775189_thumb.jpg

I reckon close to half of them are freighters

Freight still flying but not like before. I bring in about 60 consignments a year, mostly from Germany and about 10 days ago most airlines pulled the plug on pricing agreements. I was quoted € 4.80 per kg which is significantly higher than my standard rate. However on my last order before lockdown the cargo sat on the ground for a few days and is now here and at standard rate. I guess when there is a space on the sled they load it.

Nice pics Bonus

I also lived nearby and during school holidays or weekends we used to cycle, sometimes hitchhike our way to the terminal and go to that outside viewing balcony and stare at the planes.

My old man used to work on the opposite side in that small hangar (red arrow) on the Bonaero Park side for a small private airline. I used to love sitting there on some tall steps watching the jumbos take off in a northerly direction over Kempton park... sometimes it looked like they were not going to lift off in time...road runners we called them

post-182-0-78303500-1585805583_thumb.jpg

lastly . . . . 

Oh that SAA 747 SP brings back memories.  First time I flew an airplane was in that on the 17 hour flight to Austria.  I was 9 years old.  Flew on my own.  Was the adventure of a lifetime for me then.  Still remember that takeoff.  Sitting at a Window seat (just behind the wing) on the left of the aircraft looking out when they opened the throttles.  Couple of seconds later I was gradually being pulled back into my seat.

Trivia question time:

attachicon.gifSafety.JPG

You can trade height for speed and speed for height but you need juice to get you one or the other in the first place. So I'd say D

lastly . . . .

Numbers are too grainy to see, but one of those SAA 747s could be Zs-SAS, ie Helderberg.

She was commissioned into SAA 1980, crashed ‘87.

Edited by DawieO

Numbers are too grainy to see, but one of those SAA 747s could be Zs-SAS, ie Helderberg.

She was commissioned into SAA 1980, crashed ‘87.

Except for one, all of the other SAA 747 are SP models.  Helderberg was not a SP