For the aviation fans

Lotus

Yeah the 747 was an ash cloud above a volcano. Other damage included a windscreen so pitted that they couldn't see out of it.

The plane glided for some time and slowly but surely the ash was blown out of the engines and they were able to restart them. When they landed in Australia (if think) they landed on autopilot successfully but then couldn't taxi of the runway because of the damaged windscreen.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the 747 was an ash cloud above a volcano. Other damage included a windscreen so pitted that they couldn't see out of it.

The plane glided for some time and slowly but surely the ash was blown out of the engines and they were able to restart them. When they landed in Australia (if think) they landed on autopilot successfully but then couldn't taxi of the runway because of the damaged windscreen.

There's an episode of on one of disaster series on that that I think needs a revisit.

Apparently last night there was an Air Zim 767 that had a bird strike on take off out of ORT and one of the engines caught fire. There were mixed reports on twitter with FR24 screen shots. Was too heavy to land straight away and the time taken to dump fuel was just the same as going back to Harare so seems it went and landed there. I got a video of a plane flying overhead with an engine on fire but it was already dark so you could not see much besides the flames and hear the noise.

Top or Bottom?

Bottom for me all day, everyday, forever!!!!!!!

attachicon.gifIMG_20190427_130448.jpg

Bottom for me but the A380 is a magnificant beast.  As someone once said, the Beauty and the Beast (Yip the Jumbo being the Beauty)

Bottom for me but the A380 is a magnificant beast.  As someone once said, the Beauty and the Beast (Yip the Jumbo being the Beauty)

I am not really an airbus fan. I am a big Boeing fan and the 747 is probably my favourite so it was easy for me. I do admire the A380. When I worked on the line, I was the only guy in my crew that did the turnarounds on the jumbo. We only had 2 left at that stage and they only did the Luanda and Lagos flights. Probably the 2 worst flights wrt passengers being on time and the mess the interior was left in but it was still worth being able to put B747-400 in my logbook day in and day out.

Boeing 747, Queen of the Skies.

Airbus A380, Fatty of the Skies?

747 more a legend, but both going the way of the dodo.

I haven't flown in the 380 but I can imagine its quite smooth because of its bulk.

In terms of flying, Boeing and Airbus have different approaches: think I like the Yoke better than a Joystick.