For the aviation fans

Lotus

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the Intrepid?

Its worth a visit if you're there and have an hour to kill. The ship is mental, just the fact that they exist blows my mind. Theres a newer section at the back dedicated to drones and surveillance, theres a sub moored next to it, but the queue was too long for us...

I will go take some pics of the Boeings and Airbus' here at work and post them here. But later, it's dark and wet outside at the moment.

There we go, just what we have been waiting for!

Pilatus is such a bullet proof, robust aircraft. The PC6 is amazing. I have seen that thing do a take off and landing ACROSS a runway. 

I've been in one doing that... bladdy scary

Talking of Pilatus, one of my favourite pics which I've taken with my phone is of a Pilatus just after it landed in the Richtersveld.  The mountains around there are stunning - I would have loved to be flying in there.

post-50271-0-05815700-1547103174_thumb.jpg

That’s the one. Unfortunately we didn’t go on, only looked from the road. Wish it was up close.

Was there in 2012. A few months before the shuttle was installed on the ship. In fact we actually saw the shuttle on it's 747 taxi parked at JFK. So much on the Intrepid blew my mind but the biggest thing for me was finally ticking seeing a Concorde off my bucket list. I'll look on my external drive for some of the pics from that visit.

the biggest thing for me was finally ticking seeing a Concorde off my bucket list.

At the RAF museum in Somerset they have Concord 002 on display, and you can go into it.  That really blew my mind - seeing the size of it, how basic it is inside (this was a test one not fitted with normal seats) and reading about it while actually looking at it was simply amazing.  I could have spent hours just at that exhibit. 

This is one nice rabbit hole.

I have a collection of WW2 plastic models that I will complete once I retire. Mostly Tamiya. My favourite aircraft of all all time is the FW 190 D9.

Funny you should say that. I've got these two on the desk. Built them a few years ago, before I sold my model kit stash. Amazing how expensive that hobby has become.

post-10549-0-18489100-1547116235_thumb.jpg

post-10549-0-66398300-1547116245_thumb.jpg

Funny you should say that. I've got these two on the desk. Built them a few years ago, before I sold my model kit stash. Amazing how expensive that hobby has become.

SPITFIRE!!!!!!!! That Rolls Royce Merlin motor  :wub: