Lotus

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

another "blast from the past"

the pilot actually did a nice flyby before coming in to land

SAA refused to do anything, just came in loaded and took off again.

1917730_180811088211_1958257_n.jpg?_nc_c

So I think this place would do my head in, completely.

I used to live in the Lake District, and jets used to come through all the time.  No matter what I was doing I'd stop and watch them twisting around the next mountain.  Sometimes you'd hear them coming and other times there was just a deafening noise as they thunder past.  Usually they went in pairs, so as the first one screams past you have a few seconds to turn and see the second one.  Always low, always fast, always awesome! 

SR-71 blackbird!!!!!

attachicon.gifSR-71_Blackbird_(12).jpg

Oh my word, this guy is my jam! As Patch said seeing it in NY was the best, I stood in front of it for ages with missus wondering if I'd slipped into a coma or something.

The only other time I've almost had an accident was seeing an Osprey, flying towards Camp Pendleton. Very odd things but I've always loved them, despite all the faults.

Awesome thread!!!!!

I'm also one of those armchair aviation crazies who spend more time scanning FR24 than Whatsapp, Facebook or any of the other social notworking platforms! Every time I fly out of ORT I drive right around the airport and check the arriving and departing heavies! There is just something about airplanes and flying...

PS - for those of you not a already signed up there is a lekke South African aviation forum with just about everything aviation local and global here:

https://www.avcom.co.za

Edited by Karooryder

I don't think too many people are aware of what happened on Sunday evening, but it was pretty cool. We were having a braai at the in-laws late afternoon, when we saw a plane overhead at quite a low altitude. As most of Gauteng knows, there was a pretty significant storm that brewed that evening, so it was not too strange that it was flying under the clouds.

On a hunch I decided to check out what was happening on Flightradar, then saw that this plane has been flying circles all over Pretoria.

u95QwVm.png

I decided to have a look further and found that everyone trying to get into ORTIA or HLA were stuck in holding patterns.

GMrwdQI.png

Q5sbRms.png

Went back to the first plane to see where it was in the sky as we heard it again, passed right by the house in Monument Park. Next thing we heard the sound of reverse thrust and thought, wait what? 

Turns out this plane had to land at AFB Waterkloof as it didn't have enough fuel to divert to Durban, so special permission was given for it to land.

iTjbEWv.png

JMHCH3i.png

As you can see they tried to land from the south first, but had to bail out, and then came in from the north.

I was insufferable for the rest of dinner.

As you can see they tried to land from the south first, but had to bail out, and then came in from the north.

Great story, thanks!

Edited by Lotus

Awesome thread!!!!!

I'm also one of those armchair aviation crazies who spend more time scanning FR24 than Whatsapp, Facebook or any of the other social notworking platforms! Every time I fly out of ORT I drive right around the airport and check the arriving and departing heavies! There is just something about airplanes and flying...

PS - for those of you not a already signed up there is a lekke South African aviation forum with just about everything aviation local and global here:

https://www.avcom.co.za

Interestingly I discovered this forum just yesterday, when I decided that a PPL could be in my future, possibly a 30th birthday present from me to me.

All time favourite plane!

Seeing the one in New York was the highlight of my trip there.

Me too!

Interestingly I discovered this forum just yesterday, when I decided that a PPL could be in my future, possibly a 30th birthday present from me to me.

I'm also very tempted to look into a PPL soon...which schools are you considering? A lot of threads on avcom on this!

For sure they do! But drones get the Gatwick treatment.

I agree, I'm so tired of drones. 

I don't think too many people are aware of what happened on Sunday evening, but it was pretty cool. We were having a braai at the in-laws late afternoon, when we saw a plane overhead at quite a low altitude. As most of Gauteng knows, there was a pretty significant storm that brewed that evening, so it was not too strange that it was flying under the clouds.

On a hunch I decided to check out what was happening on Flightradar, then saw that this plane has been flying circles all over Pretoria.

u95QwVm.png

I decided to have a look further and found that everyone trying to get into ORTIA or HLA were stuck in holding patterns.

GMrwdQI.png

Q5sbRms.png

Went back to the first plane to see where it was in the sky as we heard it again, passed right by the house in Monument Park. Next thing we heard the sound of reverse thrust and thought, wait what? 

Turns out this plane had to land at AFB Waterkloof as it didn't have enough fuel to divert to Durban, so special permission was given for it to land.

iTjbEWv.png

JMHCH3i.png

I have now discovered this app and I fear I will become insufferable too haha