Bike Hub Weight Challenge 2019

Dietary Protein Consumption and the Risk of Type 2 Diabetes: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Cohort Studies.
Tian S1,2Xu Q3Jiang R4Han T5Sun C6Na L7.
Abstract

Recently, some studies have focused on the relationship between dietary protein intake and the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM), but the conclusions have been inconsistent. Therefore, in this paper, a systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies regarding proteinconsumption and T2DM risk are conducted in order to present the association between them. We searched the PubMed and Embase databases for cohort studies on dietary protein, high-protein food consumption and risk of T2DM, up to July 2017. A summary of relative risks was compiled by the fixed-effect model or random-effect model. Eleven cohort studies regarded protein intake and T2DM (52,637 cases among 483,174 participants). The summary RR and 95% CI (Confidence Interval) of T2DM was 1.12 (1.08-1.17) in all subjects, 1.13 (1.04-1.24) in men, and 1.09 (1.04-1.15) in women for total protein;1.14 (1.09-1.19) in all subjects, 1.23 (1.09-1.38) in men, and 1.11 (1.03-1.19) in women for animal protein; 0.96 (0.88-1.06) in all subjects, 0.98 (0.72-1.34) in men, and 0.92 (0.86-0.98) in women for plant protein. We also compared the association between different food sources of protein and the risk of T2DM. The summary RR (Relative Risk) and 95% CI of T2DM was 1.22 (1.09-1.36) for red meat, 1.39 (1.29-1.49) for processed meat, 1.03 (0.89-1.17) for fish, 1.03 (0.64-1.67) for egg, 0.89 (0.84-0.94) for total dairy products, 0.87 (0.78-0.96) for whole milk, 0.83 (0.70-0.98) for yogurt, 0.74 (0.59-0.93) in women for soy. This meta-analysis shows that total protein and animal protein could increase the risk of T2DM in both males and females, and plant protein decreases the risk of T2DM in females. The association between high-protein food types and T2DM are also different. Red meat and processed meatare risk factors of T2DM, and soy, dairy and dairy products are the protective factors of T2DM. Egg and fish intake are not associated with a decreased risk of T2DM. This research indicates the type of dietary protein and food sources of protein that should be considered for the prevention of diabetes.

Intake of different dietary proteins and risk of type 2 diabetes in men: the Kuopio Ischaemic Heart Disease Risk Factor Study.
Abstract

The roles of different dietary proteins in the aetiology of type 2 diabetes (T2D) remain unclear. We investigated the associations of dietary proteins with the risk of incident T2D in Finnish men from the prospective Kuopio Ischaemic Heart Disease Risk Factor Study. The study included 2332 men aged 42-60 years at the baseline examinations in 1984-1989. Protein intakes were calculated from 4-d dietary records. Incident T2D was determined by self-administered questionnaires, fasting blood glucose measurements, 2-h oral glucose tolerance tests, and with national registers. The multivariable-adjusted risk of T2D on the basis of protein intakes was compared by the Cox proportional hazard ratios (HR). During the mean follow-up of 19·3 years, 432 incident T2D cases were identified. Total, animalmeat or dairy product proteinintakes were not associated with risk of T2D when the potential confounders were accounted for. Plant (multivariable-adjusted extreme-quartile HR 0·65; 95 % CI 0·42, 1·00; P trend 0·04) and egg (HR 0·67; 95 % CI 0·44, 1·00; P trend 0·03) protein intakes were associated with a decreased risk of T2D. Adjustments for BMI, plasma glucose and serum insulin slightly attenuated associations. Replacing 1 % energy from carbohydrates with energy from protein was associated with a 5 % (95 % CI 0, 11) increased risk of T2D, but adjustment for fibre intake attenuated the association. Replacing 1 % of energy from animal protein with energy from plant protein was associated with 18 % (95 % CI 0, 32) decreased risk of T2D. This association remained after adjusting for BMI. In conclusion, favouring plant and egg proteins appeared to be beneficial in preventing T2D.

Associations of specific dietary protein with longitudinal insulin resistance, prediabetes and type 2 diabetes: The Rotterdam Study.
Abstract
BACKGROUND & AIMS:

High protein intake has been linked to increased type 2 diabetes (T2D) risk. However, if this association differs by protein from specific food sources, and if a habitual high protein intake affects insulin resistance and prediabetes risk are largely unknown. We aimed to investigate associations between protein intake from different food sources with longitudinal insulin resistance, and risk of prediabetes and T2D.

METHODS:

Our analyses included 6822 participants aged ≥45 years without diabetes at baseline in three sub-cohorts of the prospective population-based Rotterdam Study. We measured protein intake at baseline using food-frequency questionnaires. Data on longitudinal homeostatic model assessment of insulin resistance (HOMA-IR), and incidence of prediabetes and T2D were available from 1993 to 2014.

RESULTS:

During follow-up, we documented 931 prediabetes cases and 643 T2D cases. After adjusting for sociodemographic, lifestyle, and dietary factors, higher total protein intake was associated with higher longitudinal HOMA-IR and with higher risk of prediabetes and T2D (per 5% increment in energy from protein at the expense of carbohydrate, for HOMA-IR: β = 0.10, (95%CI 0.07, 0.12); for prediabetes: HR = 1.34 (1.24 1.44); for T2D: HR = 1.37 (1.26, 1.49)). These associations were mainly driven by total animal protein (for HOMA-IR: 0.10 (0.07, 0.12); for prediabetes: 1.35 (1.24, 1.45); for T2D: 1.37 (1.26; 1.49)). The harmful associations of total animal protein were contributed to by proteinfrom meat, fish, and dairy (e.g. for HOMA-IR: protein from meat, 0.13 (0.10, 0.17); from fish, 0.08 (0.03, 0.13); from dairy, 0.04 (0.0003, 0.08)). After additional adjustment for longitudinal waist circumference, associations of total protein and total animal protein with longitudinal HOMA-IR and prediabetes risk were attenuated, but remained statistically significant. Total plant protein, as well as protein from legumes and nuts, from grains, from potatoes, or from fruits and vegetables, was not associated with any of the outcomes.

CONCLUSIONS:

Higher intake of animal protein, from meat, dairy and fish food sources, is associated with higher longitudinal insulin resistance and risk of prediabetes and T2D, which may be partly mediated by obesity over time. Furthermore, plant protein from different sources is not related to insulin resistance, and risk of prediabetes and T2D. Our findings highlight the importance of specific protein food sources and that habitual high animal protein intake may already in early stages be harmful in the development of T2D.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Follow the money. Look who did the study, and who funded them. Then go look at real people in the world who have been eating only meat for 15-20 yrs or more, and are still alive and healthy.

none of those studies mean anything.. they are not controlled, they are not from carb-restrictive diets studies.. all they are saying if you are having a high carb diet which also includes protein.. you can get diabetes..

show me the studies which prove only eating protein gives you diabetes..

none of those studies mean anything.. they are not controlled, they are not from carb-restrictive diets studies.. all they are saying if you are having a high carb diet which also includes protein.. you can get diabetes..

Because they don’t fit your narrative?

And please show me where I said “only eating protein gives you diabetes”.

Risk - that’s the key word.

Hi there Odi,

On the contrary, eating only meat cures all the things you've mentioned. I have been doing this long enough to know that it is not affecting my health in any way. My blood work looks better than it ever has during my adult life, and I am back to my weight I was during basic training back in the late eighties. And I can see again without the need for reading glasses (as I've mentioned before).

Have a great weekend. I'm off on a road trip until Monday.

Surely it is not the meat, but rather the fact that you are eliminating everything else that could be irritating your system, that is causing these results. If you read work by Rhonda Patrick and the like, that would seem to be what the experts opine.

Surely it is not the meat, but rather the fact that you are eliminating everything else that could be irritating your system, that is causing these results. If you read work by Rhonda Patrick and the like, that would seem to be what the experts opine.

Exactly, cutting out the poisonous stuff.

Unless you don't eat any veggies at all, and only a plate of chops. Who defines this "normal" diet? Do whatever works for you, I say.

Do that and you set yourself up for colon cancer, autoimmune diseases, CVD, diabetes and who knows what else. You're going to wreck your gut, boet and the odds are great you're going to pay for it dearly. 

eating only meat gives you Diabetes? really how?

Because they don’t fit your narrative?

And please show me where I said “only eating protein gives you diabetes”.

Risk - that’s the key word.

and where did you use the word risk...

amazing.. when it doesn't fit your narrative.... it works both ways..

I originally asked you to tell me how eating Protein causes diabetes.. which you throw some inconclusive studies that mean nothing.. they don't say eating only meat will end up with Diabetes, they all have carb intake in there stats.. doesn't prove that eating protein causes Diabetes..

you talk about having your gut wrecked on a all meat diet too... well seems that vegan have a pretty tough time too....

Youtube is currently having a field day with ex vegans coming out with horrendous stories of ill health, gut issues, skin issues.. etc

Hows your gut?

Edited by The New Me

I read and watch tons of videos and experimented with lots of things.

what i have learnt is your body is an amazing thing which can adapt to just about anything you subject it to...i dont down any eating plan...you gotta do what makes you feel good...but i have to say that for me personally...the weigh less diet has proved to be the easiest and my body seems to cope with the food i eat while doing it...after taking everyone advice and visiting one of "the best" in the business in Durban ...the eating plan she put me on was pretty much the weighless diet...i have lost over 30 kg so far and 90 % of it was while eating a weighless plan.

If you put in the time and effort for both eating healthy and exercising you cant go wrong...the problem is the commitment...the mind controls our actions...the place my mind is at the moment is so dark i cant even see a light at the end of the tunnel...i am just trying my best not to gain weight...trying desperately not to get hooked on coke and other sugary products...it is so easy to fall into the trap and just let go and be consumed by the negativity.

People who have followed my journey the last couple of years will know that my journey has been mostly positive...with a few minor hiccups...but right now i am struggling to even just get on my bicycle and ride...incidents of crime since my nephew was hacked to death in December have just consumed my life...3 house connected to my house not up the road or in the hood have experienced crime in the past 3 weeks...including a house invasion...then you read about all these hit and runs.

I need to get out of this space and move forward.

Edited by eccc whippet

Excuses...excuses ...excuses...not what you are going to hear today...in fact i am happy with  just being able to maintain my weight at this point.

well done veebee and everyone else who dropped a few...you can see the commitment showing positive results.

To all those who didnt drop or just managed to stay the same weight...if you are reading this post it means you are still in the game...dont give up...you are still alive and kicking.

I sucked in my gut this morning when i looked down at the figue on the scale...looked past the negative (the gut) and noticed something else...a couple of years of hard work...a set of muscle in my legs which has been transformed from blobs of fat to what they are today...looked up at the mirror and saw only 1 chin...not a whole stack of them :)

Its friday...look for something positive and go into the weekend in good spirit ...enjoy.

It's been a bad month for me...weight has being like a yo-yo and haven't been on the bike much....gained around 1/2 kilogram.

This months goal is to ride a lot more!!

Considering that I had two bachelor weekends and basically only stick to my eating plan around 4 days a week in February, I'm happy that I even managed to drop 1,7kg. Now on 90,9kg down from 125,1kg originally. First mini target for the year of 90kg is next Saturday on my sisters wedding. Should be reachable if I don't cheat this weekend! Doing the Argus MTB 60km tomorrow, so at least getting the exercise in this weekend. March and April it's luckily just one bachelors weekend and three wedding weekends..

down 4.2 for the month. The goal is close but still soo far away.

This weekend may end up being a bad one, off to family in Richards Bay for a small "jol" so dont know how that will end up.

Well done to all, keep it going !

post-67394-0-69619700-1551421316_thumb.jpg

Down 6.67% for the month .. Happy.  Now its taper weeks and then my yearly break from cycling.. gonna be intersting to try keep weigh down over that time.

Edited by Karman de Lange

I am O+ so will look at that plan. Why does wheat appear in the Avoid column as well as the Lose Weight column?

Because it's all BS