Bike Hub Weight Challenge 2019

I'm in... back into training again and getting on top of my diet. Had a hard year last year, lost my brother out of the blue and found myself enjoying a few beers almost every night as a coping mechanism of sorts... turned into a habit unknowingly, and needless to say the scale did not react kindly. I've always enjoyed my beers, but generally was very good about avoiding any during the week.

I got to a high of 95kgs, I'm down to 93 already and the plan is 85kgs by Comrades and hopefully with it a sub 10hr time...

I've had a nice break from running, feeling pretty fresh for a change and mentally in a good spot. Just need to focus in on the diet and slowly up the training and I should be golden.

Good luck okes  :thumbup:

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in... back into training again and getting on top of my diet. Had a hard year last year, lost my brother out of the blue and found myself enjoying a few beers almost every night as a coping mechanism of sorts... turned into a habit unknowingly, and needless to say the scale did not react kindly. I've always enjoyed my beers, but generally was very good about avoiding any during the week.

I got to a high of 95kgs, I'm down to 93 already and the plan is 85kgs by Comrades and hopefully with it a sub 10hr time...

I've had a nice break from running, feeling pretty fresh for a change and mentally in a good spot. Just need to focus in on the diet and slowly up the training and I should be golden.

Good luck okes  :thumbup:

sorry to hear, man. Can't recall reading it before, but condolences all the same. Sucks, man. 

On the bold text - yeah, I was in the same boat, though for me it was spirits and wine. Not all the time, but when I did let go, I dove deeeep into it. Hence the tee-totalling from NYD. 

Been off the booze since July. Mainly coz i was uncomfortable with the habit forming aspects of it and waking up the day after 2 glasses of wine feeling like I've had surgery. I didn't drink every night but if I'm honest it was habitual and headed in the wrong direction.

I feel no loss in terms of the substance. I do however enjoy beer and miss the ritual aspect of it. A couple of beers at a braai for example. For these occasions there are alcohol free beers. For me Becks Blue is the best one that you can actually buy. It's a really nice refreshing beer and you can go out and have several without stressing about road blocks. In Spain there was a HUUUGE selection of alcohol free beer in the supermarkets.

It is somewhat ironic when we go out for dinner and the 2 40 somethings are thinking Chai Latte's as drinks and the 18 year old is thinking G&T.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Cool I am in... Goal is 71. 71 purely because that is what I weighed when I got married 21 years ago...

Anyone on a Keto diet here? Any effects on cycling?

I am.... last time I did it, I lost about 1kg a week. In total lost about 15kg from 89 to 74. The first few weeks is hard (am there now). Low on energy, but as soon as your body is adapted you have loads of energy. But most importantly went from trousers 36 to 32.

You're actually telling people (with already high BMIs) to eat foods which are loaded in saturated fat, have a high caloric density, known to promote CVD and which are carcinogenic and to avoid a food which is actually protective against CVD and lowers LDL and total cholesterol?!

Depends what 'research' you want to believe. Older dietary guidelines are polluted with biases, conflicts of interest, lobbying etc.

knife point of things very important, I love dollops of peanut butter. so bad for you!

this was helpful to me

Hmm any source of info why peanuts/peanut butter are bad? According to articles I have read it is actually good for you/have many benefits.

I struggle with braais. As soon as I light the fire, I feel lost without a beer in my hand. A couple of beers, and I klap the Biltong and chips. I love lamb chops, especially the fat, I love ribeye steak and I love wors rolls. As I braai three times a week normally, I have had to ensure we have no chips in the house and I have substituted beer with Coke Zero. I also have started braaing more venison and less beef/lamb, but it is a mental challenge every time I light that fire [emoji23]

True that. My solution for this was to drink a bottle of sparkling water while standing around the fire. For me, the fizziness helps with the thirst and at least I have something in my hand...

True that. My solution for this was to drink a bottle of sparkling water while standing around the fire. For me, the fizziness helps with the thirst and at least I have something in my hand...

It's this that I struggle with all the time, at social gatherings. The ingrained NEED to always have a drink, when you actually don't. 

Doesn't matter what that drink is, it's the alcoholic version of a ciggie in a smoker's hand. 

Been off the booze since July. Mainly coz i was uncomfortable with the habit forming aspects of it and waking up the day after 2 glasses of wine feeling like I've had surgery. I didn't drink every night but if I'm honest it was habitual and headed in the wrong direction.

I feel no loss in terms of the substance. I do however enjoy beer and miss the ritual aspect of it. A couple of beers at a braai for example. For these occasions there are alcohol free beers. For me Becks Blue is the best one that you can actually buy. It's a really nice refreshing beer and you can go out and have several without stressing about road blocks. In Spain there was a HUUUGE selection of alcohol free beer in the supermarkets.

It is somewhat ironic when we go out for dinner and the 2 40 somethings are thinking Chai Latte's as drinks and the 18 year old is thinking G&T.

Haven't had alcohol since New Years, been easy enough... the plan was just Jan, but might push that out until Vaal Marathon in March. 

Becks Blue is a winner, also really don't mind Castle Free and the Bavaria 0%  :thumbup: 

Hmm any source of info why peanuts/peanut butter are bad? According to articles I have read it is actually good for you/have many benefits.

Most peanut butters have quite a lot of sugar in them... and then there is the very high calorie count on top of that. And then for many of us the added problem of it likely being eaten on bread or something similar...

You can get Almond peanut butter which is very lekker and better in most regards if you really need it, but it's also twice the price of the normal stuff

Most peanut butters have quite a lot of sugar in them... and then there is the very high calorie count on top of that. And then for many of us the added problem of it likely being eaten on bread or something similar...

You can get Almond peanut butter which is very lekker and better in most regards if you really need it, but it's also twice the price of the normal stuff

Yiip! Peanut butter is really dangerous for me! I love it, that's why I stay away from it. I can easily sit and eat it scoop for scoop while watching series. Say one tablespoon scoop is 25g. Then 5 scoops is around 800 calories. That is already more than halve of my target daily intake on my current eating plan.. So I rather just stay away completely. Once in a while I'd buy those small pouches peanut butter..Then I know I can't over indulge. If it's not in the house, it's not a problem, and that's my rule with all snacks..just keep the lekker stuff out of the house, then no problem! If it's there, I'll eat it.

Haven't had alcohol since New Years, been easy enough... the plan was just Jan, but might push that out until Vaal Marathon in March. 

Becks Blue is a winner, also really don't mind Castle Free and the Bavaria 0%  :thumbup: 

Yeah my plan was Alcohol free August. Then it became Sober September. Then it was let's make it to new year. Now I can't really see myself having alcohol again any time soon.

Get some PB from Pure Bliss or similar (https://www.facebook.com/pureblissproducts/)

One ingredient only: Peanuts, NO added sugar, salt preservatives etc

Edited by Craai

I buy a mix of peanut butter, flax seeds and sunflower seeds. Like crack cocaine that is. 

I think that's probably the biggest problem with nuts in general... damn moreish, so you generally eat more than you should. Almonds are my friend, can happily just chew on a few and be on my way...

My son is allergic to peanuts, so we never have PB in the house, unless he is away for a week or so, during which I’ll smash a jar a day of the beautiful stuff for the first four days or so.