Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

Yeah, also a great option but not much availability locally. And with the pricing being more or less the same as local options after VAT & shipping, I'd rather go with one of the ones we get here. 

I am on a wtb convict upfront. The more i learn this tyre the more i like it. Hardpack to loose ground, it holds firm. Just a bit heavy tho but i dont mind 

p5pb15595016.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am loathe to blame equipment, eg tyres. I have tried everything else to get the bike where I want it. Riding my HT has further highlighted the absence of grip up front. The only time it felt okay was in steep corners at JH. I have also seen other people eg Wayne Schell the Youtoober giving the Butcher worst product of the year award. I think he may be right. 

BTW, Goodyear tyres are arriving at Stoke next week. Am going to hold off until then. 

OOOOOH!!! I missed that!! Joh. Okay, want me some Sam Hillness. 

Ignore me. They look good, tho... Will call it a Nary, cos it looks like a Nobby Nic and a Mary lovechild. 

MG_0023-970x647.jpg

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Yeah, also a great option but not much availability locally. And with the pricing being more or less the same as local options after VAT & shipping, I'd rather go with one of the ones we get here. 

Agreed,  but payed roughly 500ea landed so was a good price.

Besides maxxis and me aint good friends, but the assegai is a winner and def an option when I replace, but hopefully these last. Was considering the goodyears and michelins, but couldnt find a satisfying price.

I am on a wtb convict upfront. The more i learn this tyre the more i like it. Hardpack to loose ground, it holds firm. Just a bit heavy tho but i dont mind 

p5pb15595016.jpg

If you look in the dictionary under 'burley' it might just have that shot. That looks like the Kim K ass of the tyre world. 

If you look in the dictionary under 'burley' it might just have that shot. That looks like the Kim K ass of the tyre world. 

Yeah, nice and burly

I have also always struggled with front tire drifting. What I have found though is that its always me not loading the front wheel enough. Rather than the bike or tires

As far as tires go. Stay away from an Onza Ibex! I ate sh/t with mine quite often. Lol. They are awesome on dry rocky trails though.

Maxxis DHRII is what I would recommend to all "aggressive riders" for a front tire. Also really like the Aggressor for a rear tire.

+1

Worst tyres i ever wasted my money on. As soon as i have cash to replace them, they are gone. Rocking 2.4 frc 60 tpi onza ibex front and rear, on stans flow ex rimw. Ate sh*t a few times allready due to the lack of grip, especially the front wheel. Running 1.6 bar in it just to get by at the moment

Onza are extremely pressure sensitive. I only had issues on rooty stuff but also didnt use them for long. Ran conti de kaizer projekts for a long time and still love that tyre. They need to make them wider than 2.4

Onza are extremely pressure sensitive. I only had issues on rooty stuff but also didnt use them for long. Ran conti de kaizer projekts for a long time and still love that tyre. They need to make them wider than 2.4

Only have experience with the ibex. Might also be due to still tweaking the ibis setup, but have very litte faith in them after my last 2 wipeouts due to the front wheel just letting go in corners

Yeah, ibex fr rear ane ibex dh upfront. Lots of grip with the right pressure. Lots of drift with the right pressure, no grip with the right pressure.

Surprisingly i cant recall any sidewall roll.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Used to run an Ibex when I lived in Pretoria and did more XC riding with bits and pieces of trail riding. It was great for that, I had nothing to complain about. That being said I never really tested it on gravity focused trails.

One of the guys I ride with has an Ibex on the front of his bike and he is VERY fast when the trails point down. He seems to get along well with it, even at Ezel, Klipberg, etc.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

I’ve had a few ibex 2.4s and never had an issue. I found them pretty fast and stuck to most things, no squirming, never punctured.

There seems to be a lot of hate about them and they are pressure sensitive. I just pump mine to 20psi and ride them all over ct and surrounds. The whole ‘only good on dry rocky or lose over hard pack’ doesn’t really matter here because that is almost every trail around here.

The one thing I’ve noticed is that when they are wearing out they look 100% fine but will look to put you on your butt. I thought it was my skills abandoning me but a few people have said this and seems to be a trait. At R590 a go I just replace them before that happens.

Personally I find the DHF and DHR to drag a bit.

Edited by Yo-yo

That fast guy on tbe Ibex is likely just a good rider. I bet he will be faster still with a Maxxis DHRII or DHF.

Yup, very true.