Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

Anyone using a DHR2  2.4 WT at the moment? Is it decently wide as a front tyre i.e fatter than the 2.3? The online reviews are very good ... 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone using a DHR2  2.4 WT at the moment? Is it decently wide as a front tyre i.e fatter than the 2.3? The online reviews are very good ... 

Savage is running one, and it appears just a tad narrower than the 2.5WT and 2.35 Mary. Not enough to make me not buy one, though. 

Anyone using a DHR2 2.4 WT at the moment? Is it decently wide as a front tyre i.e fatter than the 2.3? The online reviews are very good ...

Yebo, well I was till about 2 weeks ago. Using it on 30mm internal width rims. I was very happy with it - it has a nice big volume and the profile is very nice. Side knobs very grippy and it rolls surprisingly fast.

Dowsides, it's the tyre I've used that has worn down fastest, after about 1000km of use on the front the side knobs have started tearing (see PhillipV's post about a page back). Used it with an Aggressor 2.3" on the rear. It has now been moved to the rear tyre purely out of curiosity (I have no complaints with the Aggressor that was one there) and I am very happy so far.

It is wide - I think these WT Maxxis tyres are closer to claimed width than any other Maxxis variations.

Replaced with a DHF 2.5" WT. To be honest - I can't feel much of a difference between the two at all. The lack of transition knobs that has been mentioned on the DHF is really an non-issue for me.

Sjoe.... okes are technical!

I have absolutely no idea what half this tire talk is about but my strava times on my hardtail are faster than some of the guys chatting here...... (is it friday?)  :ph34r:  :whistling:

E-hardtail? 

For some context:

The DHR2, side knobs taking a bit of abuse after 1000km of riding - more so than other tyres I have used at this mileage. This did duty on the front (pictured here on the rear wheel).

post-82251-0-17228400-1547637868_thumb.jpg

DHF 2.5" on the left vs DHR 2.4" on the right. Take note the DHF is new....

post-82251-0-53758000-1547637932_thumb.jpg

And the DHF 2.5" at the bottom vs DHR2 2.4" at the top. Not much difference in width.

post-82251-0-20028700-1547637994_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I wanna go to 165's when my existing crank dies. But it just won't. SLX too strong. 

Pedal strikes on climbs and descents, and when trying to get a pedal in on a rocky trail are horrible, and there's no reported loss of power as a result of changing to 165's. Some people actually benefit from the change. Smaller circles and all that.

Yep no power loss, no leverage loss, after all thats why there are gears. Might be slightly different with single speed, but even then the ratios can be manipulated to the crank length

For some context:

The DHR2, side knobs taking a bit of abuse after 1000km of riding - more so than other tyres I have used at this mileage. This did duty on the front (pictured here on the rear wheel).

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20190116-132055_Gallery.jpg

DHF 2.5" on the left vs DHR 2.4" on the right. Take note the DHF is new....

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20190116-132118_Gallery.jpg

And the DHF 2.5" at the bottom vs DHR2 2.4" at the top. Not much difference in width.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20190116-132141_Gallery.jpg

Those still look decent, no missing knobs

Those still look decent, no missing knobs

Yeah, but what you can't really see from the pic is that they have torn about 5mm below the top of the knob, so you can basically lift a few of the side knobs and flip them over completely - one or two more rides and they will tear off all the way.

Not complaining, I think 1000km of purely trail riding is a descent mileage. Just something to keep in mind when buying.

Yeah, but what you can't really see from the pic is that they have torn about 5mm below the top of the knob, so you can basically lift a few of the side knobs and flip them over completely - one or two more rides and they will tear off all the way.

Not complaining, I think 1000km of purely trail riding is a descent mileage. Just something to keep in mind when buying.

Same thing will happen to your DHF. They share the same side knobs. 

Also - DHF sorta has transition knobs, they just don't extend as far as the DHR, Mary, Assguy or Eliminator. Nowhere near as big a gap as on the Butcher. 

Same thing will happen to your DHF. They share the same side knobs.

Also - DHF sorta has transition knobs, they just don't extend as far as the DHR, Mary, Assguy or Eliminator. Nowhere near as big a gap as on the Butcher.

Yup, for sure it will.

Got the Butcher 2.8" on my hardtail - the death gap is real! Will be replacing with a Eli at some point if they come in 2.8" in ZA.

have the big squish 2.8" tyres been a bit of a revelation for you on the HT, or is it a minimal gain type of thing?

Yup, for sure it will.

Got the Butcher 2.8" on my hardtail - the death gap is real! Will be replacing with a Eli at some point if they come in 2.8" in ZA.

have the big squish 2.8" tyres been a bit of a revelation for you on the HT, or is it a minimal gain type of thing?

So first had 3.0" Spaz Purgatory on 29mm internal width rims. In short, it was sh!t. Tyres squirmed, profile was wrong, steering vague, sidewalls weak.

Went to 29" XC set up - love it. I have kept this wheelset complete with rotors and cassette for my longer rides. But it is harsh, especially on gravity trails - hence the extra 27.5"+ wheelset.

Set-up is 40mm internal width rims, Spaz Butcher/Slaughter 2.8" Grid casing. A revelation is selling it short - I absolutely love it!!! I can run low pressures I was not able to do on the previous set up. Currently 18psi in the rear and 15psi in the front. The steering is not vague at all like before, it rolls surprisingly fast, and the small bump sensitivity is just next level! It grips like a fly on crap on most trails. It takes me less than 3mins to turn a harsh XC hardtail into a playfull and very capable trail eating hardtail - really very happy with it.

Also tried the 650plus wheelset on my Evil, I smashed 3 or 4 PRs on some downhill trails on the first ride out - so to say I am sold on it is an understatement. It however will not see use on my Evil as it drops the BB too low and results in alot of pedal strikes.