Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

That fast guy on tbe Ibex is likely just a good rider. I bet he will be faster still with a Maxxis DHRII or DHF.

Actually no, because the sideknobs in the minions (the knobs with the little stripes) tear in half later. And then the rail on the minion is pointless. There was a minion dhf in my tyre crate, I think I gave it to my gardener. It harks from the 26 era.

The Ibex is great for a rider who leans aggressively, and weights the front wheel down enough so that the tyre can do it's job.

I'm running Ibex on both my bikes on the front, in 2.4 and 2.25 sizes, straight through the year, from dry summer into wet winter.They don't like hard cases or sideloading hits though, I've thrown away two Ibex tyres with warped carcasses that died on my back wheel. Now I run aggressor. [emoji108]

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My recent thinking is that tyres are as personal as the bike they are on and the rider who is on top of that bike. I've had bikes that are 5* in reviews and not got on with them but then the guys I've sold them to love them. It's all about how you ride, what you ride and one tyre you love may not suit your friends and visa versa. 

I'm starting to look around at different makes like the new Michelin range, Good Year and Panaracer offerings. Might be shite but might be great.  

Edited by Yo-yo

I have had those same issues with minions, hi rollers and dh tyres. The knobs just dont hold up.

I bought lots of different brand used tyres to see what I like. Best way if you willing to spend, test and resell.

Looking at Mayhems pics and doing the finger test on a MM I have in 26", the difference between it and the Butcher is clear as the daylight between the Butchers knobs. It's not only the absence of transition knobs but also the highway across the top of the tyre. On the Mary you cant run your finger from one side to the other without encountering a knob. Then there is the super built up side knobs that seem to never let go. The MM is the gold standard IMO. I'm starting to convince myself it's what I need...

Looking at Mayhems pics and doing the finger test on a MM I have in 26", the difference between it and the Butcher is clear as the daylight between the Butchers knobs. It's not only the absence of transition knobs but also the highway across the top of the tyre. On the Mary you cant run your finger from one side to the other without encountering a knob. Then there is the super built up side knobs that seem to never let go. The MM is the gold standard IMO. I'm starting to convince myself it's what I need...

You won't be sorry. It and the Eliminator are apparently neck and neck in terms of suitability for pretty much everywhere. Just not sure how the Eliminator will behave in the wet. 

Sjoe.... okes are technical!

I have absolutely no idea what half this tire talk is about but my strava times on my hardtail are faster than some of the guys chatting here...... (is it friday?)  :ph34r:  :whistling:

I have absolutely no idea what half this tire talk is about but my strava times on my hardtail are faster than some of the guys chatting here...... (is it friday?)  :ph34r:  :whistling:

Always that one guy. Faster, harder, longer. 

It must be your tyres. Come on share!

what is this fast you speak of? I prefer to describe my riding as thorough. I like to minutely ride over and make wheel and eye contact with ever rock and root i encounter on the trails. This is to get full value from the experience. 

That's much better than this fast malarky. If you go fast the ride finishes so much more quickly. Whats the point of that?

Edited by Duane_Bosch

And? Well done for having the skill to overcome a smaller amount of outright grip. Personally, I prefer to have as much as I can, so that my suckage is managed a bit better. Differences between tyres are easily observed, even at warp snail. 

What about crank length? Some people believe a longer crank is better, as per laws of physics, leverage ratio, to move an object.

I have adopted a shorter crank after using 175 for a while. I am now using 170mm and the pedal stroke is much nicer especially on high revolutions up a hill. My feet are much more planted on the 170 cranks and lets not forget the added bonus of fewer rock strikes

What about crank length? Some people believe a longer crank is better, as per laws of physics, leverage ratio, to move an object.

I have adopted a shorter crank after using 175 for a while. I am now using 170mm and the pedal stroke is much nicer especially on high revolutions up a hill. My feet are much more planted on the 170 cranks and lets not forget the added bonus of fewer rock strikes

Yeah, I wanna go to 165's when my existing crank dies. But it just won't. SLX too strong. 

Pedal strikes on climbs and descents, and when trying to get a pedal in on a rocky trail are horrible, and there's no reported loss of power as a result of changing to 165's. Some people actually benefit from the change. Smaller circles and all that. 

I've watched plenty of GCN shows where they discuss crank length. At length.

I think the conventional wisdom is short cranks for short people. But from what I can tell from GCN there's no material (maybe 1 or 2 watts?) benefit to changing in either direction. IMO crank length is pretty low on the list of things you should be looking at ITO bike fit. Especially on an MTB.