Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

Ja I think it's a TM thing. My 2.3 Aggressor EXO has also been up to task for a very long time incl some very rocky rides...

The rock on TM is made up of quartzitic sandstone, which is incredibly hard and sharp, as well as Cape Granite, and mudstone. All of them are just waiting for tyres... 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The rock on TM is made up of quartzitic sandstone, which is incredibly hard and sharp, as well as Cape Granite, and mudstone. All of them are just waiting for tyres... 

I've been riding my 27.5x2.3 Aggressor with single foamo on 130mm travel hardtail on the Tygerberg MTB trails including the DH at Conties and no issues at all. I guess with a HT one does tend to choose slightly less sketchy lines. We'll see this weekend how it performs on full sus 

I've been riding my 27.5x2.3 Aggressor with single foamo on 130mm travel hardtail on the Tygerberg MTB trails including the DH at Conties and no issues at all. I guess with a HT one does tend to choose slightly less sketchy lines. We'll see this weekend how it performs on full sus 

Also you're riding Tygerberm...Even Conties revised line is incomparable to the amount of rock etc on TM/Signal Hill

Yeah but that's tygerberm.

If you go Aggressor, Tim, get the DoubleDown version. Exo isn't up to the task. I'd also go for the 2.5 WT to be honest. Just a better tyre. 

Re the rovals - that sucks, man... If he's had 3 blowoffs, then it can't be a bead distortion issue. Must just be something about those rims. 

He has taken the bike to Freewheel to be checked out. Its an epic Evo bought in the UK I believe. My ali Rovals have a minimalist bead hook. Slight damage to the rim at that point could lead to issues, but his are carbon and brand new. 

Ok

So you boys ripping apart the exo casings. What is your cycling background....did you start mountainbiking in the days when we were still rocking in 1.95" tyres with superlight tubes and 75mm travel was lekker to have.

I ask this to see if there is a difference in the manner in which a "old school" rider rides on the trail. I like to think a rider that would ride on Rocky trails such as table mountain and Tokai on bikes looked this would have developed a smoother and lighter style of riding. Something that would have been developed as a matter fact, and if not developed would result in constant pinch Flats on rides?

This is a series question.

Ok

So you boys ripping apart the exo casings. What is your cycling background....did you start mountainbiking in the days when we were still rocking in 1.95" tyres with superlight tubes and 75mm travel was lekker to have.

I ask this to see if there is a difference in the manner in which a "old school" rider rides on the trail. I like to think a rider that would ride on Rocky trails such as table mountain and Tokai on bikes looked this would have developed a smoother and lighter style of riding. Something that would have been developed as a matter fact, and if not developed would result in constant pinch Flats on rides?

This is a series question.

I guess I did.

But it doesn't matter. At present the EVO is hond poop on the rear for me. I am going a load faster than I was on my old crossmark down the George DH track on my Silverback HT...But times change, tyres should too ;)

I guess I did.

But it doesn't matter. At present the EVO is hond poop on the rear for me. I am going a load faster than I was on my old crossmark down the George DH track on my Silverback HT...But times change, tyres should too ;)

I am talking 1995 Era tyres that were made of tissue paper :P

Never ridden anything more than exo from the big m brand, or the control casing from the big s brand. Neither of these have ever let me down.

Now the swalbe Hans Ds in snake skin that I have tried before have not been stellar at all.

Personally the only reason I would go with the double down would be for the rear to get a firmer sidewall for cornering and get a little less pressure out back.

And PhilpV does hustle down a hill on a mtb!

Never ridden anything more than exo from the big m brand, or the control casing from the big s brand. Neither of these have ever let me down.

Now the swalbe Hans Ds in snake skin that I have tried before have not been stellar at all.

Personally the only reason I would go with the double down would be for the rear to get a firmer sidewall for cornering and get a little less pressure out back.

And PhilpV does hustle down a hill on a mtb!

Well that's you...not me. 

I build my bike around the "this is going to have the minimal chance to let me down on the trail"...Therefore never again Maxxis EXO on the rear

I am talking 1995 Era tyres that were made of tissue paper :P

I have Ardent Exo's on both ends of my HT. So far the rear tyre has coped superbly  despite some effort on my part to write off the rear wheel. That said I am sure there will come a time when I get it wrong and it dies. I have put pinch holes in DHR2s before on my old enduro and the same on a MM up front. I do try and take a bit more care but without rear suspension you know its only a matter of time...

The cycle lane from Tableview to Town is hardly a true test of a tire......