Fake Sunglasses

Furbz

Of course there is more than the R&D that Oakley spend money on, stores, staff, facilities, marketing etc, but in the end it comes down to the product you are paying for.

I would never feel comfortable putting fakes on my face, that probably comes down to the fact that I worked for Oakley for 2 years and saw the industrial testing they did first hand with fakes VS real pairs. The results were often scary and very eye opening.

Similarly, whilst testing glasses, albeit a while back, saw huge difference in outcomes between fake and real tactical glasses. Admittedly, we were testing against impact from projectiles and blunt instruments (birdshot, baton etc), but the difference in outcomes was stark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Above R&D and paying staff and premises etc... price is more often than not driven by the market. They know full well what people will pay for sunglasses, and thats what they'll charge. Oakley can sell those glasses for half the price and still make a huge profit, but why, when the market has been tested to be happy to pay R3000 for a set.

Be interested in understanding the detail or evidence for your claims that Oakley could sell for half the price and still make a huge profit. Not saying it’s not true, but always really interested in understanding cost of manufacture etc. Having visited multiple OEM factories in China manufacturing various products (not sunglasses unfortunately), as well as factories making knockoffs, In every case, what I saw every time reinforced my belief in paying more for quality and a genuine brand. Buying many containers of genuine and knockoff equipment over the years, and running them side by side, absolutely supported this. Albeit, this was gym and health equipment, so not sunglasses, but the principal is the same, imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Right so recently i've notice a few sets of 100% sunglasses that appear to be legit but i believe to be good copies.

they certainly look legit.

A little research shows the brand never release a set of glasses in that colour.

Further these glasses usually sell with only 1 additional lens. not 3.

everything looks perfect otherwise.

i found the same set of glasses for around 22GBP 

be careful people. 

lots of glasses "collectors" on the hub that are "selling off" unwanted glasses from their collections.

So now the glasses are back on the HUB same pic's But different user  https://www.bikehub.co.za/user/104685-michael101/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/355127-100-glases-brand-new/

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-biking-clothing-apparel/benoni/100-speedtrap-sunglasses-3lenses/1004637789840910995772909

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-biking-clothing-apparel/benoni/100-speedtrap-3lenses/1004037382300910995772909

Spent some time installing equipment in a factory that made pistons for cars. same production line until it came to stamping and packaging. one very well known brand and no name brand. same pistons.  

Spent some time installing equipment in a factory that made pistons for cars. same production line until it came to stamping and packaging. one very well known brand and no name brand. same pistons.

might be that way in that factory, but I have owned a excellent copy Halbrook and the original. If you don't have the 2 side by side you wouldn't know. As soon as you have both you can clearly see/feel the quality difference. Never mind the night and day difference in the lenses.

The original still looks like new the copy slowly disassemble itself. First The color came off the "o" fell out and the 1 ear just fell off.

There's loads of things that the no name thing works great but that's not the case with these glasses.

Ya but then it's oem parts. Not the same brand the car came with from production line, but same spec and quality

But fake sunglasses is different, fake is fake

Not the same scenario. Fakes are made by a different factory but use the good name of somebody else. These fake sunglasses are not off the same production line.

might be that way in that factory, but I have owned a excellent copy Halbrook and the original. If you don't have the 2 side by side you wouldn't know. As soon as you have both you can clearly see/feel the quality difference. Never mind the night and day difference in the lenses.

The original still looks like new the copy slowly disassemble itself. First The color came off the "o" fell out and the 1 ear just fell off.

There's loads of things that the no name thing works great but that's not the case with these glasses.

That sounds like my adidas evil eye i bought some years ago because I wanted spec insert sports glasses for cycling. By the third use the lenses where bubbling. No reply from adidas. I found a store selling the lenses for cheap and have replaced them 4 times. The rubber on the arms have gone as well.

S9 basically for some originals you pay alot for the quality of a fake.

Since this I am only a ray ban and oakley original fan.

• 4 months later...

Alao bought oakleys from a hubber recently, but when i googled fornew replacement lemses... i could only find the fakes looking exactly like the ones i had bought, and the originals under that "model name" looked much different in the shape. The fakes of that model was identical to mine i bought...sigh.... asked the dude and said he bought them from another hubber confirming them to be original. What a waste of time and money. As the post suggests...dont sell knock offs as original...it's downright misleading.