Does doping exist in SA?

CT is cheap for accommodation, roads are good and the weather is incredible over their base/prep period. It beats riding in 0 degrees and rain. That is why they come here to train, or they go to AUS or Colombia.

Yes, Bloem was closed but it doesn't mean that cause its closed there is no testing, the samples are sent to the next closest lab which would be Dubai for example. Nothing changes, no coincidence. 

International athletes get tested here, its a fact, samples are sent to Lab for analysis. 

Don't believe all the **** you read by the twitter troll brigade who factuate "facts on inside info"  about everything doping related. 

You guys are better than this.

A lot of these comments are not to be take as seriously as that. Especially if they involve gifs.

Have any of your athletes ever been sanctioned for PEDs?

It would be interesting to hear from a coach's point of view.

Edited by Patchelicious

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiffany Keep is 19 and probably weighs close to that. She will probably also beat us all.

Sure. But more importantly for purposes of this thread, is she doping?

A lot of these comments are not to be take as seriously as that. Especially if they involve gifs.

Have any of your athletes ever been sanctioned for PEDs?

It would be interesting to hear from a coach's point of view.

Yes, you know that as well as I do. There is a lot Obviously cannot say for certain reasons which I hope you respect and understand. 

Sad case of events but was handled professionally, stupid case of desperation. 

My view is pretty simple on it.

Edited by J Wakefield

yeah, cycling is totally dope.

Even on Zwift, okes are "plying with their weight and ftp" 

(Btw i'm a 19 year old girl on Zwift, that only weighs 42kg)

I reckon Zwift should take altitude into account and make a compensation for us who live up high. The air in my garage is thinner than the air in some dudes garage who lives at -10m in Den Haag

CT is cheap for accommodation, roads are good and the weather is incredible over their base/prep period. It beats riding in 0 degrees and rain. That is why they come here to train, or they go to AUS or Colombia.

Yes, Bloem was closed but it doesn't mean that cause its closed there is no testing, the samples are sent to the next closest lab which would be Dubai for example. Nothing changes, no coincidence.

International athletes get tested here, its a fact, samples are sent to Lab for analysis.

Don't believe all the **** you read by the twitter troll brigade who factuate "facts on inside info" about everything doping related.

There are few that are 'better than that' but let's leave it at that shall we [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes, you know that as well as I do. There is a lot Obviously cannot say for certain reasons which I hope you respect and understand. 

Sad case of events but was handled professionally, stupid case of desperation. 

My view is pretty simple on it.

Yes of course. I really dont know or care to know why they did. They made that choice for whatever reason they did. 

I was more interested, now that you look back with the advantage of 20/20 hindsight, could you see signs of it, from a behaviour change, training loads, could you map it back on to performance increases?

Obviously spotting this while this is happening is surely impossible, but its the "now that you know" were there signs?

If you don't want to disclose or spend your time on this, I understand, I just thought it might be interesting. 

Edited by Patchelicious

Yes of course. I really dont know or care to know why they did. They made that choice for whatever reason they did. 

I was more interested, now that you look back with the advantage of 20/20 hindsight, could you see signs of it, from a behaviour change, training loads, could you map it back on to performance increases?

Obviously spotting this white this is happening is surely impossible, but its the "now that you know" were there signs?

If you don't want to disclose or spend your time on this, I understand, I just thought it might be interesting. 

I can't really tbh, not that I don't want to but can't. But yes there are changes, not only in numbers - often which are very small btw. That myth of going from 300 - 400W in a week is a load of bull and a total myth the public who have NO idea believe. But other areas also, some mentioned above. Ive been doing this a a very long time Im not a fool there is no hindsight looking back. 

Don't believe all the **** you read by the twitter troll brigade who factuate "facts on inside info"  about everything doping related. 

First up... okay, speculation isn't always ideal, even on a forum, but it's also good to question things and ask hard questions.

Back to the OP's question - Does it happen here... well, hell yeah it obviously does.

We have a long naughty list as proof... and that's just the guys who got caught. With all due respect, especially considering how long some of these guys careers were, I'd say they weren't alone and the controls aren't exactly scaring would be cheats off. Shan was a massive part of the cycling scene in the Cape for decades. 

One great example, I think it was the 2012 Attakwas, when you removed all the now known dopers from the results, Ben Melt in 8th place or whatever it was, was the winner. Ain't that a sad state of affairs. What a lovely time to be a pro-athlete.

How many athletes are even on a passport now - does anybody have a clue? We all know that's the only realistic shot at catching the crooks these days.

It's a serious IQ fail to get caught in competition. Not that they even test at National champs these days from the sounds of it. Yes, no doubt there is no budget... again. And that also wouldn't have helped when samples needed to go to Dubai instead of Bloem.

You'd think Epic top dogs would have been getting tested left right and center the last few weeks - but I've not seen much of that either. Maybe I've missed it though...

But it's only the Tour de France of mountain biking. With old Tour de France riders all over the podiums just to really set the tone.

I really appreciate that you come on here John, it's great to get insights and input from you and I really like your attitude to things. 

We're not saying everyone who trains in Cape Town over December is doping, but we all need to ask harder questions and hold the sport and it's bodies to a higher standard to ensure that what has happened before, doesn't happen again. Here, overseas, everywhere.

But maybe that's all a pipe dream

Dont know if this is seen as doping but a buddy uses the herb like i use gels - on the bike swim run you name it hes high as a kite - for Ironman he had them in muffins as he couldnt spark up - and trust me u could see when he had a hit , how he "flew" past you lol

Your buddy is a good man. Stick to herbs. Much better than all these chemicals  :whistling:  :D

First up... okay, speculation isn't always ideal, even on a forum, but it's also good to question things and ask hard questions.

Back to the OP's question - Does it happen here... well, hell yeah it obviously does.

We have a long naughty list as proof... and that's just the guys who got caught. With all due respect, especially considering how long some of these guys careers were, I'd say they weren't alone and the controls aren't exactly scaring would be cheats off. Shan was a massive part of the cycling scene in the Cape for decades. 

One great example, I think it was the 2012 Attakwas, when you removed all the now known dopers from the results, Ben Melt in 8th place or whatever it was, was the winner. Ain't that a sad state of affairs. What a lovely time to be a pro-athlete.

How many athletes are even on a passport now - does anybody have a clue? We all know that's the only realistic shot at catching the crooks these days.

It's a serious IQ fail to get caught in competition. Not that they even test at National champs these days from the sounds of it. Yes, no doubt there is no budget... again. And that also wouldn't have helped when samples needed to go to Dubai instead of Bloem.

You'd think Epic top dogs would have been getting tested left right and center the last few weeks - but I've not seen much of that either. Maybe I've missed it though...

But it's only the Tour de France of mountain biking. With old Tour de France riders all over the podiums just to really set the tone.

I really appreciate that you come on here John, it's great to get insights and input from you and I really like your attitude to things. 

We're not saying everyone who trains in Cape Town over December is doping, but we all need to ask harder questions and hold the sport and it's bodies to a higher standard to ensure that what has happened before, doesn't happen again. Here, overseas, everywhere.

But maybe that's all a pipe dream

Just cause someone doesn't put on SM they getting tested doesn't meant they not. Beers was tested - blood and urine every single day for a week, he never posted it on SM so did it not happen? It happened.

Another female the other day, 9:30pm at night, happened. No public post. 

Those old TDF rider can ride bikes, dope or not, they didn't take dope and the only reason why they rode Tour. They that 1% not the 99% of us or who want to. 

Im not defending any of them or the system - believe me Im not, Im just putting some corrected info for all going forward to use as reference, but what I am saying is that the general publics perception of the complete system is skewed somewhat. I was the same years back until things, environment and education changed for me.

Its no one faults and history is there - in full force - I understand that but today is not 10 or 15yrs ago and a lot has changed (150cc vs 500cc). Is it perfect? NO it's not, same as the oke who calls in a favor to get a better seeding for Argus to ride a better time in a faster group. Same thing.

Riders have been sanctioned on the passport it does work, does it work every single time? No not always but it takes time to get a profile. Sometimes years. 

The sport is a lot cleaner now than it was, people will always cheat its life and people are trying to fight the fight of it but sometimes its not the easiest and not everyone doing it is corrupt.

Edited by J Wakefield

I'm wanting to buy an E-Bike but I can't afford one so thinking about rather buying EPO to get extra power in a more sort of pay as you go way.

Probably go better on the E-bike bud - I would suggest that.

I'm wanting to buy an E-Bike but I can't afford one so thinking about rather buying EPO to get extra power in a more sort of pay as you go way.

There are cost effective ways to get the results without the need to spend big on Levos or the inconvenience of those pesky needles...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aeKaCId0Bgk/Riv5VFhJGUI/AAAAAAAAACE/NbgU36-Btwo/s200/Gomo+KITBIKE.jpg

Just cause someone doesn't put on SM they getting tested doesn't meant they not. Beers was tested - blood and urine every single day for a week, he never posted it on SM so did it not happen? It happened.

Another female the other day, 9:30pm at night, happened. No public post. 

Those old TDF rider can ride bikes, dope or not, they didn't take dope and the only reason why they rode Tour. They that 1% not the 99% of us or who want to. 

Im not defending any of them or the system - believe me Im not, Im just putting some corrected info for all going forward to use as reference, but what I am saying is that the general publics perception of the complete system is skewed somewhat. I was the same years back until things, environment and education changed for me.

Its no one faults and history is there - in full force - I understand that but today is not 10 or 15yrs ago and a lot has changed (150cc vs 500cc). Is it perfect? NO it's not, same as the oke who calls in a favor to get a better seeding for Argus to ride a better time in a faster group. Same thing.

Riders have been sanctioned on the passport it does work, does it work every single time? No not always but it takes time to get a profile. Sometimes years. 

The sport is a lot cleaner now than it was, people will always cheat its life and people are trying to fight the fight of it but sometimes its not the easiest and not everyone doing it is corrupt.

Great to hear on the testing.

I do just wish it wasn't such a big secret... if it's public that it's happening, it discourages it.

Just like knowing who is on a passport... it would be nice to know. My impression from a few people who know a bit more than me, is that it's pretty thin on the ground. Hopefully they're wrong. Do you have any idea how many riders are on the ABP? 

A more level playing field is all I think anyone is after - as you say, we'll always have cheats as long as there is money to made and ego's to be stroked... 

The whole thing I think we all want is for kids coming out of the Spurs league as an example being given a fair crack at a career, and knowing it's a pretty even playing field, unlike some riders of 10yrs ago.  

Thanks for the reply, appreciated  :thumbup:

I do just wish it wasn't such a big secret... if it's public that it's happening, it discourages it.

Just like knowing who is on a passport... it would be nice to know. My impression from a few people who know a bit more than me, is that it's pretty thin on the ground. Hopefully they're wrong. Do you have any idea how many riders are on the ABP? 

A more level playing field is all I think anyone is after - as you say, we'll always have cheats as long as there is money to made and ego's to be stroked... 

The whole thing I think we all want is for kids coming out of the Spurs league as an example being given a fair crack at a career, and knowing it's a pretty even playing field, unlike some riders of 10yrs ago.  

Thanks for the reply, appreciated  :thumbup:

Agree on points above but I don't actually know why it isn't public who is or isn't on a passport locally I would only presume on a personal protective right or something. I know of my athletes.

If Spur kids want someone to look up its Allan or Matt for example I will put everything I own on them being clean and they are destroying basically everyone on a bike road or MTB. 

So yes, there are riders who you can look up to and show you can win clean. 

Thanks for the reply, appreciated :thumbup:

The problem when tests are announced, the social network expert rumour mill starts spewing nonsense

For example: did u hear so n so was tested.... did u hear so n so tested + And so on

Even when it’s just a random test

By all means test as much as possible, but only announce the positive tests imo