10 cyclist hit & run incident - Centurion

Fred van Vlaanderen

Because unfortunately people do that more regularly these days.

It’s speculation of course, but it’s no more speculative that saying he/she was texting and driving or driving under the influence.

In fact I read just yesterday of an account in the kzn danger areas thread of a taxi doing it twice to the same cyclist on the same ride

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard the victim's wife on the radio this morning..the driver is nowhere to be found.????..I'm so the mo#r in when shite like this happens..????.it's come to a point where I don't even recomend cycling to anyone out of fear that should anything happen to them ...I won't be able to live with myself. I have two brothers that cycle as well. .and should this happen to them...its gonna be township justice...no two ways about it..????

Part of wonders if they saw them and wanted to scare the riders and misjudged things in an inebriated state.

Why the **** would you say that?
Are you retarded?

Well, I've been on the receiving end of such behaviour. Speculation yes, but hardly beyond the realms of possibility...

Easy there tiger. Because that road is wide and straight with a large shoulder... And because it's the kind of thing that an asshole does especially if they've had a bit to drink. Yes they could have fallen asleep at the wheel or been texting too.

Also...retarded is not a very nice thing to say

Yup people do funny things when there are more than 1 of them.... like the twats that ride up behind me in their car and proceeded to shoot me in the bum with a pellet or BB gun

Funny now, but at the time... LOL

Yup people do funny things when there are more than 1 of them.... like the twats that ride up behind me in their car and proceeded to shoot me in the bum with a pellet or BB gun

:eek:

Nothing funny about that.

RIP

Drunk or not, mistake or not... don't run away! But, we all know KARMA, it will all catch up.

As much as I don't condone this, there seems to be a lot of accusations being thrown about.

All we can hope is that as fellow cyclists, the group were also not in the wrong by cycling abreast as we so often do.

As much as I don't condone this, there seems to be a lot of accusations being thrown about.

All we can hope is that as fellow cyclists, the group were also not in the wrong by cycling abreast as we so often do.

So why would the driver run away if the cyclists were at fault? <_<

If I had my say, any person involved in a hit and run should be presumed to have been under the influence of alcohol and attract a harsher sentence, unless they can prove otherwise.  

If I had my say, any person involved in a hit and run should be presumed to have been under the influence of alcohol and attract a harsher sentence, unless they can prove otherwise.  

^this.

Its well known that people run away from the scene when under the influence, hoping to hide out long enough to get their blood alcohol levels down and then claim they were under shock at the time and that is why they ran away.

Plus 1. In a perfect world

i understand and share the sentiment, but I have an issue with the presumption of guilt. That is a principle I NEVER want introduced into our law. Simply because it is a snake that will turn and bite the innocent (me and you?) sooner or later!

I would rather say that the punishment for leaving the scene of an accident should be at least as severe as for drunk driving. Also, once caught, I feel bail should be strictly opposed, because the accused has proved himself to be a flight risk already! 

Ag absolute nonsense man. It doesn't matter if they were in a concertina across both sides of the road. There is no correlation there.

Fact: It is a dead straight road section with visibility and a shoulder either side. By default as a group the riders are more visible. 

Fact: The driver fled the scene, leaving an injured passenger as well as the deceased and injured among the people out cycling. 

The argument so often brought up, yet if one takes the time to trawl through incidents on the road. By and large it's through no fault to the rider but reckless driving. Burry Standers case serves as a perfect case in point. 

It's puerile point and serves no correlation. In fact I, and pretty much ANYONE here who has used the roads on a bicycle or by foot can testify to the fact that all too often when using the road single file, people pass by way too close for comfort. Either on purpose or because they just don't care. 

Archived