Assos cycling shorts-Rip off

4x4biker

Have noticed an inverse proportional relationship between love for Assos and number of posts.

Wonder what that tells me???

Mmmmm... i noticed the same....

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was completely sold on the older model Assos Shorts. The Uno and Mille. Got massive amount of mileage out of them.

But someone decided (probably an accountant that doesn't ride bikes) that they could increase profit margin by only partly stitching the padding to the fabric but still charge the same retail price. Hence the padding now doesn't stay in place and moves independently from the fabric. This causes it to bunch right where you would like the least amount of pressure and pinch which makes long rides brutal.

So, I partly agree with you. Assos, although never cheap, was always a no brainer purchase, but not anymore. My Castelli is way more comfortable.

The lack of stitching of the wings of the crotch area of the chamois is to create independent movement of the fabric and chamois in this area and it works very very well. Its the very reason why the bib or shorts DOESN't bucnh up and create pinch points.

Sure there are cheaper bibs that are as comfortable out of the box but none are still as comfortable as ASSOS 3-5years later. Most are lappies by then

At Decathlon you can buy cycling shorts for R139 and they look proper kit .I too am an assos fan .Second best would be specialized

Try removing your undies next time...

Have tried many bibs and Assos is the only one I will use for rides longer than 2 hours or on consecutive days.

And they last forever if you care for them properly. I still have an old S5 uno that I've used for 5 years almost every single weekend and public holiday. Its now getting a bit stretched so will retire it soon.

My S7 equipe is AMAZING and ive used that now for 2+ years with almost no wear. Just a bit of colour-fade on the chamois but nothing hectic.

I have brand new S7 Equipe with the black padding and an S7 T.Mille just waiting for me to unbox them. When there is a special, I always try to grab it at a decent price. Will not go back to anything else... 8 hours touring on a long day out and not a minute of discomfort (even with some rain) means they are doing something right!

I’m a Rapha fan, and have owned a few higher end bibs over the years.

Nothing has ever come close to the S7 Equipe and got a Cento for the desert dash, amazing the difference.

And they last forever if you care for them properly.

What is the correct way to take care of shorts ?

I ride in them, the wife washed it, once properly dry it goes in the cupboard until the next ride ... what else should we be doing ?

I ride in them, the wife washed it, once properly dry it goes in the cupboard until the next ride ... what else should we be doing ?

Oh dear

All this hype about ciovita....

Their stuff is good, but definitely not the best. Padding could be much better.

My assos cento is much better then the ciovita corsa. Not going to risk spending 2500 on Ciovitas more expensive bib.

Perfect... I don't do anything special.

Wash them as soon as possible after riding (within a day or 2 if you can't do it straight after your ride). I use hand wash powder WITHOUT any added fabric softner in the powder mix. Very important. Never add any fabric softner like Stasoft etc.

Soak for 10-15mins in mild mixture and squeeze inwards. Never wring them or they can stretch.

If needed for multiple day consecutive rides, i wrap in a thick towel, covering back and front and then squeeze the chamois.

I don't leave them out in the direct sun for too long. They dry fairly quickly. Couple of hours maybe. Then back in the cupboard.

If throwing them in the machine, don't have any other items with zips etc. (hard / sharp edges). I rarely use the washing machine for bibs. I showed our helper how to do it correctly, or I wash myself when she isn't around.

Never chance it with the wife, especially not after you buy a new bike... or went for a long ride on all 3 days of a long weekend and stuck her with the kids... #lifelessons.

Edit To add... I don't ever hang them. I lay them on a clothes dryer over multiple bars. Wet chamois is heavy so that always goes on top and never hanging over the rail.

Edited by Dude Crush

Aaaaah so this is a Ciovita pitch....

Probably the kakkest bib I own (and that includes a pair of first ascent and cheap bid or buy jobby)

Three years ago while doing the race to Cradock four of us arrived at the one support station Romansfontein at about 11 at night.  Romansfontein is one of the best support stations and the host is renowned for the spread that she put out, from pasta, stews, beskuit, coffee and milk tarts, you name it.  Upon arrival she asked if we had any washing that we want doing. 

I had a good chuckle when I heard her say to herself: “O nee Assos, ek kan nie hierdie in die wasmasjien was nie”.