4x4biker

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have various shorts that I rotate

As stated, Assos is not worth the 300 % price premium, compared to Ciovita

Assos is out to make a quick buck and the downside, you rely on reviews to decide about your purchase decision

In my humble view, “Sponsor yourself” should rather read “Steal from yourself”

Kind request to replies

I don’t understand “slang”, so reply in understandable language or keep quiet

Yeah right, like your first post

Assos cycling shorts are not the price you pay worth

Padding of shorts costing 1/3 of the price work better

I’ve have various brands of shorts, while the comfort is more or less the same the Assos quality and longevity is way ahead of the other brands. Thats without taking any special washing precautions, they all get washed and spun with normal automatic washing machine soap and program.

Perfect... I don't do anything special.

Wash them as soon as possible after riding (within a day or 2 if you can't do it straight after your ride). I use hand wash powder WITHOUT any added fabric softner in the powder mix. Very important. Never add any fabric softner like Stasoft etc.

Soak for 10-15mins in mild mixture and squeeze inwards. Never wring them or they can stretch.

If needed for multiple day consecutive rides, i wrap in a thick towel, covering back and front and then squeeze the chamois.

I don't leave them out in the direct sun for too long. They dry fairly quickly. Couple of hours maybe. Then back in the cupboard.

If throwing them in the machine, don't have any other items with zips etc. (hard / sharp edges). I rarely use the washing machine for bibs. I showed our helper how to do it correctly, or I wash myself when she isn't around.

Never chance it with the wife, especially not after you buy a new bike... or went for a long ride on all 3 days of a long weekend and stuck her with the kids... #lifelessons.

Edit To add... I don't ever hang them. I lay them on a clothes dryer over multiple bars. Wet chamois is heavy so that always goes on top and never hanging over the rail.

Let me guess, you have 3 spare chains soaking in oil and another spare one hanging in the garage waiting to replace the one on your bike the minute you finish cleaning the cassette and chain rings?

Some of my Assos shorts are so old I’m to embarrassed to publicly admit how old they are.... other than their first wash they have been washed on a normal auto wash machine cycle with softener and hung up to dry indoors (it’s europe after all) after a 1000 rpm spin cycle.

They are all still in excellent condition.

Assos are actually screwing themselves by selling products that last so long.... unless I gain weight drastically I’ll never need to buy another pair again ( got 5 in my cupboard)

Edited by SwissVan

What is the correct way to take care of shorts ?

I ride in them, the wife washed it, once properly dry it goes in the cupboard until the next ride ... what else should we be doing ?

What I find works best for me (and my Assos bibs), is to have a bucket with warm water & tablespoon of liquid Omo, in the shower. So straight after my ride my kit goes into the bucket, then hand washed & hung on a clothing rack. This way I've had Assos shorts last me 6-8yrs ! Machine washing & leaving kit all sweaty in a washing basket for days, is what "kills" synthetic fabrics quickly !

P.S. - I have noticed that Ciovita are using a similar designed chamois as the old Assos Uno bibs & I think that's a great thing.....if you can't beat it, copy & use it !!

At Decathlon you can buy cycling shorts for R139 and they look proper kit .I too am an assos fan .Second best would be specialized

Fully agree, my Spez bibs are equally as comfy as my Assos.

The Spez bibs also made in Italy I see

Let me guess, you have 3 spare chains soaking in oil and another spare one hanging in the garage waiting to replace the one on your bike the minute you finish cleaning the cassette and chain rings?

Some of my Assos shorts are so old I’m to embarrassed to publicly admit how old they are.... other than their first wash they have been washed on a normal auto wash machine cycle with softener and hung up to dry indoors (it’s europe after all) after a 1000 rpm spin cycle.

They are all still in excellent condition.

Assos are actually screwing themselves by selling products that last so long.... unless I gain weight drastically I’ll never need to buy another pair again ( got 5 in my cupboard)

For better or worse .. his approach is VERY similar to the recommendations on the Assos website ....

That said .... I ride over the weekend, washing is done Monday or Tuesday.   Thanks to our water restrictions we dont have the luxury of separate bundles for delicate stuff ....  Wash and softener cycles, then spin dry ... at least our washing lines are under roof.  At least I get ONE item right ...  :cursing:   :devil:

so far the cheapy brands last with this "harsh treatment" .... then again, my cycling regime is a small fraction of the typical Assos owner ....

still some valuable information being shared.  Thanks !!  May well re-think some of our steps ... even if it just means venting the shorts for the day or two before washing day ....

I got R300 bibs, a few pairs, from AliExpress. Never gave me saddle sores or any other discomfort or issues or made me think I'd get that Strava KOM if only I had Assos bibs. Happy.

To all those who ride their Assos shorts for 5,6....8 years:

Please ask someone you trust and love to ride behind you on a bright sunny day.........and tell you if your bibs have become see-through! They tend to do that! And it is an ugly sight, when you are wheel-sucking to save your own life, and you have to stare at that! 

Only half-joking :ph34r:  :ph34r: 

Please ask someone you trust and love to ride behind you on a bright sunny day.........and tell you if your bibs have become see-through! They tend to do that! And it is an ugly sight, when you are wheel-sucking to save your own life, and you have to stare at that!

Only half-joking :ph34r: :ph34r:

This ^^^^

Crack is so 80's.

Only half-joking :ph34r: :ph34r:

Assos do last longer than most, but yes, keep an eye on those areas generally not visible to you.

Like all shorts, even Assos wear thin there eventually. LOL

..........Crack is so 80's.

................even Assos wear thin there eventually. LOL

In this particular case I have to admit that the LOL was at my own expense  :blush:   :D But then, I learnt that despite what they felt like, my Assos bibs were toast and I swore not to make the same mistake again........until I did with a pair of Pearl Izumi bibs I loved!  :blush:  :D

Only half-joking :ph34r:  :ph34r: 

They are called ASSos for a reason

ASS out of sight

Maybe that's why i don't let those behind overtake try stay ahead of those behind me

Or ride my IDT so much...

Who cares, as long as i cant see my own ASSos

All this hype about ciovita....

Their stuff is good, but definitely not the best. Padding could be much better.

My assos cento is much better then the ciovita corsa. Not going to risk spending 2500 on Ciovitas more expensive bib.

I'm totally unimpressed with my Ciovita bibs and tops. The fit is not consistent and they're all the same model. Well made, yes, consistent fit , no and more expensive than Vye's Velo Race tops and Mirage Bibs (which i use on my Indoor trainer because they're super comfortable, durable and cheap to replace compared to ASSOS.

I have the Ciovita kit bag. The stitching is coming undone and the zips are ****. BLS costs more but is in a another league of quality. Sorry, can't see what the hype around Ciovita is all about. Their stuff is pretty average at best.