Your view on Cycling/MTB Events  

159 members have voted

1. 1. What is important around a Start/Finish Venue?

• Clear Signage
    • Parking
    • Toilets
    • Live band
    • Enough Shade and Seating
    • Lucky Draw
    • Food Stalls to buy cash
    • Meals included in Ticket Price
    • Being greeted by the MC when coming over the line
    • Bar
    • Showers
    • Massages
    • Luxury Tents
    • Own Accommodation
    • Immediate Results
    • I don't care about results
  2. 2. What do you want out of your Ride or Race?

• Technical sections
    • Climbing
    • Food at the Waterpoints (Specify in the comments which is best)
    • Timing
    • Non-Timed
    • Doing Laps
    • Music at Waterpoints
    • Bike Tech at Waterpoints
    • One Day Race
    • Multi Day Race

Hi there, shot for your input.

It is very difficult when the Start and Finish venue is separate from one another.

There is really not a lot of services that do car transfers.

Mainly companies make use of Rotary, who's profits go towards their charity. Their price I don't find too bad as it is between R400 - R500.

The other option is to get a shuttle service to take the riders back to their cars at the previous venue, but once again to transport so many bikes becomes a bit difficult. 

Would you prefer a shuttle, or a service like Rotary?

Cheers

i know it's not always possible but we tend to enter for races that finish where they start, especially if its a 1day event. In most cases if I'm going to have compounded fees due to extra transport/accommodation in two different towns...i usually just skip the event.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are in the marketing industry and we are inundated (20 mails calls a month) with please can we have for free product for sports events , that said it take time to gather a goodie bag and that also costs time and  Rands.

we give may be too two events a year and its getting tougher. goodie don't add to the cost to the event in most cases.

That's awesome! Exactly what I was refering to :D

Hopefully the other organisers catch on too.

CSA dictates number board sizes, and the size of the numbers on those boards. But if its not a CSA sanctioned race...

CSA dictates number board sizes, and the size of the numbers on those boards. But if its not a CSA sanctioned race...

Yeah but not all races are CSA sanctioned.... in fact all the races I have done in the last few years have not been with CSA boards.

Different MTB event organizers some times supply their own boards, I have SAS board and Racetec board and even then have had to use the organizers supplied board at MTB races I've done this year.  

I view goodie bags as the sponsors wanting you to try their new product, so they chuck in a sample.

To me its advertising and not free stuff.

With this view in mind I'm never disappointed, some of the stuff I'll try, other will be given away.

Cannot quite understand why people kick up such a fuss about goodie bags. For most smaller events I don't even take one. Only at expensive stage races like w2w or sani2c I have some form of expectation to receive proper stuff.

*snip*

all the flyers that get thrown away just waste paper 

*snip*

More important in my view is rider safety and good marshaling

Wholeheartedly agree with the above - good marshaling is something you notice when it's NOT there...and one of the reasons I normally support PPA events.  

*snip*

Shade and seating .... YES, pretty please !!!

*snip*

If I may add a few things we look for :

Route profile - it is VERY handy to plan your ride if you know where the hills are ... when to hold back a bit, and when it is safe to burn the matches ....  Typically we look for this when looking at the event information prior to entering the event.  (I dont want to download the route, just have and idea that there is a 8% climb at 7,5km and 10% climb at 17km ...)

EARLY advertising of the event .... February this year we stopped at Manic Cycles in Worcester.  We KNOW that they co-sponsor many of the rides in the area .... imagine my total surprize when they could not give us dates of any 2019 rides.  Most of these rides no longer make use of PPA, which also limits their advertising opportunities ....  Event #2 we only heard about from a local that send me a message, and the VERY low turnout ( a THIRD of the number of 2017!) is testimony to the issues with getting the message out there about upcoming rides.

Was this the event-previously-known-as-Computer-Mania-Willowcreek?  Was sooooo disappointed that they killed that one off - and even more disappointed when I learnt too late that it had taken place (in another guise) this year!

My most important features during a race:

*snip*

• Scenery/Route - Don't rat-maze me to squeeze in distance.
  • With good marking: My brain turns off when I'm having fun and am tired. I don't pay attention, and I get lost.

Yes please!!!!  Organisers, ask yourselves:  what does this stretch / portion / loop add?  If the answer is 'only kilometers', can it.  I recall an event at Backsberg where we were made to ride around numerous orchards on the lower-lying parts - no value in that at all.  

What about a multi day MTB event with solo entries? I want to do the more technical events but my riding buddies don't and those that like technical riding don't enjoy the longer events.

Yes please!!!  Also, too often the middle distances get watered down.  There's a lot of us that like the more technical stuff, but can't comfortably do the 70/80 km distances.  PLEASE bring back more events where the 30/40/50km routes are also challenging and ST dominated...  The only one I can currently think of that ticks the box, is Piket-Bo-Berg, and possibly Porcupine Ridge (technical terrain). 

Lastly, while I'm at it:  I know that the more routes you put on, the more admin / costs is involved.  BUT it is always nice to have a good spread of options for all skill / fitness levels (like they used to have with Die Burger and the Argus MTB events - sadly also not anymore):

- a 5-10/12km route predominantly for kids (and parents riding with them)

- a +- 20km route that is manageable for relative beginners, but is too far for the kids that have just come off side-wheels, and challenging enough to make them want to come back for more

- a +-35/40km medium route with enough technical challenges and scenery

- a long flagship route.  

I say can the medals and give me a beer at the end....

Cowhouse offroad duathlon on 2 June is giving you exactly that option.

Seriously considering doing that event...

Entry fee of R250 also makes it attractive

Having organised the KZN Gravity (Downhill and Enduro) Series since 2011 (except for 2017), and now also having to organise the National Downhill series, I have found that you can put on a great event on a tight budget. You just need a couple of things

Good venues - Great trails with variety at each event

Good Timing

A good sponsor to help cover the costs (as DH and Enduro run at a loss, so you need sponsors to offset the loss).

Little things include:

Professional looking Podium

Engaged presenter for prize giving who knows the riders.

and most importantly a BEER SPONSOR

Please add "Vendors that accepts card". to the poll  

People that pay for coffee by card are annoying  :ph34r: