Your view on Cycling/MTB Events  

159 members have voted

1. 1. What is important around a Start/Finish Venue?

• Clear Signage
    • Parking
    • Toilets
    • Live band
    • Enough Shade and Seating
    • Lucky Draw
    • Food Stalls to buy cash
    • Meals included in Ticket Price
    • Being greeted by the MC when coming over the line
    • Bar
    • Showers
    • Massages
    • Luxury Tents
    • Own Accommodation
    • Immediate Results
    • I don't care about results
  2. 2. What do you want out of your Ride or Race?

• Technical sections
    • Climbing
    • Food at the Waterpoints (Specify in the comments which is best)
    • Timing
    • Non-Timed
    • Doing Laps
    • Music at Waterpoints
    • Bike Tech at Waterpoints
    • One Day Race
    • Multi Day Race

I hear what you are saying, and totally agree.

The reason races still have the number collection is to keep the entries open a bit longer, then having to pack and distribute 1000 - 2000+ numbers within a week or two can become a scary task.

I would like to think that maybe one can close the entries earlier, then all the people that do late entries, will have to collect their numbers either the previous day, or race day.

Another problem with sending numbers to the riders will be the postage fee. I mean it is not that expensive, but when you dealing with 2000+ riders, it will affect ticket prices.

Shot man!

What is the point of number boards anyway? I did an AMA Rider event the other day where we used a watch/tag that goes around the wrist, which was scanned at the start and finish of every stage (was an enduro event). We still had number boards, but to my knowledge they served no purpose.

Surely we are at the stage where we can just get rid of number boards alltogether? They just get in the way, and cause unnecessary waste.

That said, if number board do have to be used, surely they can be very small? Like 2 times the size of a credit card.

Pretty trivial point, I know, but if there is one thing I have it is sticking an A4 sized piece of paper to my handlebars.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason races still have the number collection is to keep the entries open a bit longer, then having to pack and distribute 1000 - 2000+ numbers within a week or two can become a scary task. 

I would like to think that maybe one can close the entries earlier, then all the people that do late entries, will have to collect their numbers either the previous day, or race day.

Another problem with sending numbers to the riders will be the postage fee. I mean it is not that expensive, but when you dealing with 2000+ riders, it will affect ticket prices.

Shot man!

I dont think anyone was asking for the numbers to be posted to them, rather that they can either print it themselves, have a permanent number that just gets a stick or something to indicate they have entered the current race or like has been mention, do away with numbers completely. 

What is the point of number boards anyway? I did an AMA Rider event the other day where we used a watch/tag that goes around the wrist, which was scanned at the start and finish of every stage (was an enduro event). We still had number boards, but to my knowledge they served no purpose.

Surely we are at the stage where we can just get rid of number boards alltogether? They just get in the way, and cause unnecessary waste.

That said, if number board do have to be used, surely they can be very small? Like 2 times the size of a credit card.

Pretty trivial point, I know, but if there is one thing I have it is sticking an A4 sized piece of paper to my handlebars.

I think numbers are still necessary for identifying riders.

Whether it is in an emergency ( like a fall ) or to be able to identify a perpetrator of an offense. It might be something as small as littering or something more serious like a guy swearing at a lady rider for trying to pass him ( it happens ) or someone cheating in a race ( short cutting, drafting in another bunch etc . ) .

I think numbers are still necessary for identifying riders.

Whether it is in an emergency ( like a fall ) or to be able to identify a perpetrator of an offense. It might be something as small as littering or something more serious like a guy swearing at a lady rider for trying to pass him ( it happens ) or someone cheating in a race ( short cutting, drafting in another bunch etc . ) .

Would think the tag referred to can do the same job in terms of rider identification

Would think the tag referred to can do the same job in terms of rider identification

How do you identify a tag on someone’s wrist when you’re in a race and see someone littering , or doing any of the other offenses I mentioned ?

Or are we talking about some other type of tag ?

Shot man!

Let's take a step back and ask the question:

What use is a physical paper/fabric race number these days?

We are creating so much waste for something that doesn't add that much value.

When do the organizers actually use the info on there:

• During a medical emergency? Answer: Partner with Ice-tag or similar to get riders to wear these bands on their arms. Get one Ice-tag which lasts a lifetime.
  • To control people starting in a earlier batch? Ya right, I have never seen this done. I have started a race without my number on my back(I did enter, just couldn't meet up with the oke that did number collection for me). The timing chip is the enforcer hopefully, where you don't get a result if you started earlier.

A QR code via email which I show on my phone can be much more useful on raceday to check for rogue riders, you can even ask people who don't want to ride with their phones to bring along a printout of the QR Code. Your paper wastage should reduce by half and you will save me a massive headache to drive to some shop that you partnered with to ensure he gets more feet through the door.

Why are running races able to process 80% of their entries on race morning, but cycling thinks it can't be done? Is it because of the strong volunteer base in running vs cycling.

Let's take a step back and ask the question:

What use is a physical paper/fabric race number these days?

We are creating so much waste for something that doesn't add that much value.

When do the organizers actually use the info on there:

• During a medical emergency? Answer: Partner with Ice-tag or similar to get riders to wear these bands on their arms. Get one Ice-tag which lasts a lifetime.
  • To control people starting in a earlier batch? Ya right, I have never seen this done. I have started a race without my number on my back(I did enter, just couldn't meet up with the oke that did number collection for me). The timing chip is the enforcer hopefully, where you don't get a result if you started earlier.
A QR code via email which I show on my phone can be much more useful on raceday to check for rogue riders, you can even ask people who don't want to ride with their phones to bring along a printout of the QR Code. Your paper wastage should reduce by half and you will save me a massive headache to drive to some shop that you partnered with to ensure he gets more feet through the door.

Why are running races able to process 80% of their entries on race morning, but cycling thinks it can't be done? Is it because of the strong volunteer base in running vs cycling.

I presume you are talking about road races ?

In most Mtb races you purchase a once of plastic board from either SA seeding or Racetec that you place on your handlebars and use for all future races .

I noticed with this weekends Trailseeker that they’ve also done away completely with pre-race registration. Your board just gets scanned before you enter the starting bunch , and of you go.

Edited by Milkman

these mass produced medals have NO purpose  ,maybe for the kids 

all the flyers that get thrown away just waste paper 

A 45km marathon should not cost more than R150 and the organisers can still make good profit with the numbers the races reach 

Food at the water points needs to be more basic , orange squares adn potaotes are more than enough along with cold water , coke if budget allows 

* IF A sponser is willing to sponser a water point with all their products that's cool but NOT at th expense of riders/entry fees ( like USN , PVM and co ) 

Many more things I legit think i could change to make races fun again but I'm not in the mood to type for hours

** I'm vividly aware of what medics and insurance cost so I do keep those costs in mind 

My comments- You live in a dream world if you think organisers can easily make profit charging R150 p entrant. You will be surprised how much of event costs are covered by (and are impossibly expensive without) sponsors.

Personally I also don't care about medals but remove them from events at your peril - the backlash from disgruntled entrants are not worth the expense saving when you drop the cheap little medals.

If water tables are sponsored they don't add to the cost for entrants & even if they are not their cost is insignificant in the larger scheme of things, adding nice stuff on water table is not that expensive. If events get water tables wrong it's often just bad planning &  logistics and very little to do with expenses.

Edited by Skubarra

Unfortunately they all look the same. So yeah, not identifiable by just looking at someone. But the fact remains that massive boards are not necessary.

Unfortunately they all look the same. So yeah, not identifiable by just looking at someone. But the fact remains that massive boards are not necessary.

It seems the guys at SAseeding have listened to your suggestion ????post-24797-0-76651600-1557828761_thumb.jpeg

The bottom one are the new number board you get now .

Shot thanks for asking about what we want. 

GOODIE BAGS:

Do away with the plastic packet. Maybe give us a Water bottle with the lekker goodies inside (If it fits)

Give us useful stuff. Sample bottle of lube / sachet of latest greatest sports drink/energy bar.

We don't need pamphlets. you have our email addresses and we get the promotional emails from the sponsors anyway so be kind to the environment.

Complimentary event photos included in the entry fee? Saves me needing to sift through 1.9774X10^6 photos of other people to find my one lekker photo.

results are OK as it stands especially if its a WPcycling event as the results have to be ready in time for the podiums.

Consistency - if you say there's a goodie bag then give us one. Don't tell us we had to register the day before. Most of us have day jobs and can't trek all over the province during office hours.

Timing:

Hopefully there's a solution to all the timing brands out there. I can;t keep up anymore.

Seeding....The current loyalty points system isn't working. Maybe run all races along the line of age group category so that Sub vets compete with Sub vets and Vets with Vets etc. The WPXCO format comes to mind?  this for MTB. Road is another story ut hte Cat 1/2/3 system seems to work nicely

Absolutions:

toilets and showers asseblief. I know not always possible especially the showers

I found I enjoyed riding my bikes WAY more once I stopped doing races. I say 'stopped' but more like cut down and became very selective. Last year I did the Swartberg Cheese Fondu and the Picket-bo-berg stuff as my only bike events.

This year I did Argust and the Cheese Fondu and will do the Picket-bo-berg stuff. 

It is so much less admin than constantly being disappointed by stuff that really doesn't even matter and save one a heap of money and wasted time. 

I do however agree that printing 7 gazillion fliers is rubbish. We should all be trying to cut down on waste and consumption. 

Wanting free stuff is also a weird human trait... Do away with goodie bags all together. Clear up the 'cost' allocation and add value to the experience rather than trinkets that you can comfortably do without.

I found I enjoyed riding my bikes WAY more once I stopped doing races. I say 'stopped' but more like cut down and became very selective. Last year I did the Swartberg Cheese Fondu and the Picket-bo-berg stuff as my only bike events.

This year I did Argust and the Cheese Fondu and will do the Picket-bo-berg stuff. 

It is so much less admin than constantly being disappointed by stuff that really doesn't even matter and save one a heap of money and wasted time. 

I do however agree that printing 7 gazillion fliers is rubbish. We should all be trying to cut down on waste and consumption. 

Wanting free stuff is also a weird human trait... Do away with goodie bags all together. Clear up the 'cost' allocation and add value to the experience rather than trinkets that you can comfortably do without.

I think goodie bags is a good promotional opportunity. But certainly not an expectation. IF the organisers are going to provide one then it should be relevant  or it's noise.

Ditto on being selective re my events

I view goodie bags as the sponsors wanting you to try their new product, so they chuck in a sample.

To me its advertising and not free stuff.

With this view in mind I'm never disappointed, some of the stuff I'll try, other will be given away.