2020 Ironman 70.3 East London

fanievb

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to all, reports am hearing the wind played havoc for the swim, bike and run. From a swimmer whom she said was one of the toughest, to a cyclist saying how hard he had to work to cycle downhill, to feeling like you were getting blow backwards on the run. Chapeau!!

So.. Race report..

Swim (35min) wasn't too bad. So I thought. Very cold water, but swimming out along the Harbour wall was nice and calm, made the turn and the chop got big on me... Lots of water swallowed in the 2nd half...all in all probably 2-5 minute slower than usual for everyone I spoke to.

Bike (3:06) was a **** show. Head wind all the way up to the turn, made the turn and the wind just kept getting stronger, tailwind for most of the way back made for a fast split, but every time you hit a bridge or an open area the gusts were blowing you all over the place. 60mm wheels were a bad life choice.

Run (2:02) was solid, tailwind along the promenade to bunkers, bunkers not as bad as I thought it would be. Coming back down it was a headwind and then back along the promenade was block headwind with all of the sand in my eyes. Running the last 2km to the finish was harder than bunkers!

Add in some long transitions due to foot pains throughout the race and all in all 5 56 for me, was aiming for 5 30 but with the conditions I'll take sub 6. Took 45 min off time from last year, and that with a shortened swim last year.

My kudos goes out to thse people coming off the bike as I was finishing, the wind was only getting worse as the day went on.

6:45

Happy and broken.

Full report when I can move again

Edit: pic says it better than I do

25f514325afd643df869f07d29f6ac45.jpg

Lekker! Congrats. Was a brutal day 

So.. Race report..

Swim (35min) wasn't too bad. So I thought. Very cold water, but swimming out along the Harbour wall was nice and calm, made the turn and the chop got big on me... Lots of water swallowed in the 2nd half...all in all probably 2-5 minute slower than usual for everyone I spoke to.

Bike (3:06) was a **** show. Head wind all the way up to the turn, made the turn and the wind just kept getting stronger, tailwind for most of the way back made for a fast split, but every time you hit a bridge or an open area the gusts were blowing you all over the place. 60mm wheels were a bad life choice.

Run (2:02) was solid, tailwind along the promenade to bunkers, bunkers not as bad as I thought it would be. Coming back down it was a headwind and then back along the promenade was block headwind with all of the sand in my eyes. Running the last 2km to the finish was harder than bunkers!

Add in some long transitions due to foot pains throughout the race and all in all 5 56 for me, was aiming for 5 30 but with the conditions I'll take sub 6. Took 45 min off time from last year, and that with a shortened swim last year.

My kudos goes out to thse people coming off the bike as I was finishing, the wind was only getting worse as the day went on.

That is a great time for trying conditions. My inlaws live in Gleneagles road which is the flat one that goes past the open fields just before the turn around for the run. 

I always go sit outside and watch, this year there was a whole lot of hurting going on!

I always feel for the guys at the back, especially the one chap who had the last place bike following him. I still maintain that the race requires more effort for those guys than the top 10 finishers.

At least Nardizzle got his sub 5 at the DC this year! Had to settle for a 5:00:11 yesterday!!

Ouch! who would have thought 11 seconds could hurt that badly?

Someone came past us at about 4km into the ride, and their Cateye Velo 8 came off and bounced into the road.  I retrieved it.  I know it's a long shot, and it's not the most fancy computer, but it might be important to someone, so if the owner reads this, or anyone knows the owner I will arrange to get it back to him/her