Mont Marie Closed... Thanks chop

Reme Le Hane

I'm not saying it isn't an issue but this "we" issue seriously grates my tits. I'm doing more than my bit to try catch the motorbikers and hi-jackers hanging around on the the Bottelary Hills trails as well but to banish all mtber's because of one oke? Really? For all they know it could be kids mucking about after school... or a farm worker? Are we all expected to now go and do trail patrol after work?

Must say my initial reaction was that the land owners post/rant was somewhat juvenile  - that said I do not know the issues they face and as someone said it was probably the last straw as opposed to a once off.

Hope the trail opens soon

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying it isn't an issue but this "we" issue seriously grates my tits. I'm doing more than my bit to try catch the motorbikers and hi-jackers hanging around on the the Bottelary Hills trails as well but to banish all mtber's because of one oke? Really? For all they know it could be kids mucking about after school... or a farm worker? Are we all expected to now go and do trail patrol after work?

Must say my initial reaction was that the land owners post/rant was somewhat juvenile  - that said I do not know the issues they face and as someone said it was probably the last straw as opposed to a once off.

Must say my initial reaction was that the land owners post/rant was somewhat juvenile - that said I do not know the issues they face and as someone said it was probably the last straw as opposed to a once off.

As far as I know the Stellenbosch trail fund maintains that trail. In the recent few months there have been issues on some other trails maintained by them:

- G spot, a couple of requests have been made not to use this during rain, they have been flat out ignored. Riding on this type of trail ruins it - man made, smooth, flowy - so you can imagine what tyres do in the wet. This happens every couple of weeks.

- A new trail was built the other day, also marked off by tape while it was under construction, some d bags rode straight through the tape on a rainy day and undid quite a bit of work!

There are other examples too, so not one person, and not one event only. So yeah, definitely the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't think the rant was unwarranted at all.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

As far as I know the Stellenbosch trail fund maintains that trail. In the recent few months there have been issues on some other trails maintained by them:

- G spot, a couple of requests have been made not to use this during rain, they have been flat out ignored. Riding on this type of trail ruins it - man made, smooth, flowy - so you can imagine what tyres do in the wet. This happens every couple of weeks.

- A new trail was built the other day, also marked off by tape while it was under construction, some d bags rode straight through the tape on a rainy day and undid quite a bit of work!

There are other examples too, so not one person, and not one event only. So yeah, definitely the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't think the rant was unwarranted at all.

Due to the location of this piece of trail, I am convinced it is a "commuter type" rider that was responsible for this. Probably thought his entitlement makes him more important than the rest. 

Due to the location of this piece of trail, I am convinced it is a "commuter type" rider that was responsible for this. Probably thought his entitlement makes him more important than the rest.

Very possible...

If the tyre tracks looked like 26" Crossmarks with about 6000km on the clock, it's probably Rouxenator. 

If the tyre tracks looked like 26" Crossmarks with about 6000km on the clock, it's probably Rouxenator. 

:lol:

naaaahhhhh .... there are signs of nobblies left on those tracks ....

Hahah! I also thought about Rouxenator when the possibility of commuter was mentioned, he might be a crazy mofo and commutes by mtb in the area, but he does have great respect for the trails.

Not sure what a "commuter type" rider is supposed to be, but when it comes to entitlement and disregard for rules & disdain for requests from trail-builders nobody can keep up with us normal MAMILS regularly riding the trails.

Anything further from the landowner? 

Mind you he did say no further discussion on sm

Edited by porqui

This really sucks! I live right next to Mont Marie and I would now have to ride tar to Eden/Paradyskloof.

Hope it gets resolved.

Edited by hansolo

Keen to help on a build day. I ride those areas 2/3 times a week (if its not raining and if it not closed off for maintenance). Would be tragic if I can't ride there anymore because of a small amount of people spoiling the fun for everyone else. So if anybody organize a build, please DM me.

So Friday there was a notice from Tygerberg club that Lombard's terra at Bloemendal is closed off for maintenance.

And just as I thought on Monday a big rant & photos on the club FB page on how riders ignored the tape & closed signs and destroyed the work of the maintenance team.

I guess that is why us mtb'ers don't deserve nice things in life...