SARS and the 3 consignment limit

Sbloomer

It seems a lot of people ship stuff from overseas.  But how do you get around the 3 consignment limit, without applying for an import permit?  It seems to me that you can only apply as a registered company to be able to get an import permit.

I would like to get a few goodies from various sources, but it seems I'm stuck to waiting until next year to do this, which is hardly ideal.

Isn't there a Value limit to this, ie, if you import above a certain amount more than 3 times a year?

I'm not sure, but I order more than 3 times basically every year.

there is a value limit as mentioned above. i speak under correction but think it's around R50k a year. they keep tabs of it. it is defo not only 3. i made around 6 online purchases from the UK last year in the region of 2-4k each. Also..be weary of once off orders approaching around R20k ish....Sars tends to then feel it is not for personal use...but for resale locally and might give you some hassles. 

SARS has tightened the screws and is putting pressure on the courier companies to inform clients of this requirement. I recently got a message from Aramex that you can only receive 3 parcels and their value may not exceed R20,000. Above that you need to apply for an import licence.

Failing that, you will delay your delivery due to customs AND be liable to a fine. I've since received my fourth parcel for 2019 and no fine or penalty was imposed on my last parcel.

One note though: SARS was very strict with my second parcel. They insisted on proof from my bank for the payments ($80) incurred in the purchase, and I had to wait another 2 weeks because of this.

I perceive things are definitely a lot more difficult with customs now.

still easier to just let a customs agent handle all that. have never had an issue using either DHL or UPS. they just phone and ask for either an importers code or id number once it dispatches. UPS sommer calls you while it is getting loaded in europe before it hits SA. I have only had to pay them before hand once via EFT aftern a phone call and request to do so before release could be organised from customs. All the other times I could pay the tax/fees on delivery. The UPS busses are kitted with card machines/wifi and whatnot to make it all easy...they just don't take cash though....then a week or so after delivery they phone you to dbl check you got your stuff and asked how you paid (card/eft etc). 

edit: you pay for it though...shipping usually around R450 for UPS express, but then you have your stuff within 3-4 days. 

edit 2: I'll add this. my last frame i ordered through the local Soma distributor came via Aramex (according to them the first time they tried them) and the frame was delayed by a month at customs...

Edited by morneS555

It seems a lot of people ship stuff from overseas. But how do you get around the 3 consignment limit, without applying for an import permit? It seems to me that you can only apply as a registered company to be able to get an import permit.

I would like to get a few goodies from various sources, but it seems I'm stuck to waiting until next year to do this, which is hardly ideal.

You can apply as an individual. I did it about 2 years ago, paid a company to do it for me. Sent a bunch of docs off and I got my import permit in a few days.

Not sure if there have been some changes to only allow companies in the meantime?

Just use UPS.   Seriously.  

No drama, literally here within 3 days from anywhere on earth...

UPS is good but crazy expensive.

Just use UPS.   Seriously.  

No drama, literally here within 3 days from anywhere on earth...

Probably the best out there, but at a price. Used them twice, service cant be beaten!

+1 for UPS. They are also my international courier of choice, but some sites either don't use them or charge too much.

UPS and DHL (more expensive) are the most efficient couriers I've used in SA. 

Anything but the post office or EMS  :)  (EMS used to be great for parcels from the east, but those days are sadly over since 2018). 

For all the above comments, note that I'm speaking from personal experience.  

<allegedly> a friend of mine ordered a self-published book from the US. Arrived via the courier and when doing the customs clearance, they picked up that it was his 4th parcel. They went through the importer's permit schpiel, and allegedly just told my friend to alter the name on the invoice to be his wife's and submit that to the courier who'd do clearance based on that to get around the issue.

This was allegedly done and now he has his supposed book. Allegedly. I can't be certain. I wasn't there....

UPS is good but crazy expensive.

If I want something, I want something.   My time and effort is worth more than the cost associated with just pressing click, answering one phone call, and then getting up 72hrs later to collect from the delivery guy.

Just my 2c  (or in UPS case, my R20.  :ph34r: )

<allegedly> a friend of mine ordered a self-published book from the US. Arrived via the courier and when doing the customs clearance, they picked up that it was his 4th parcel. They went through the importer's permit schpiel, and allegedly just told my friend to alter the name on the invoice to be his wife's and submit that to the courier who'd do clearance based on that to get around the issue.

This was allegedly done and now he has his supposed book. Allegedly. I can't be certain. I wasn't there....

Is you friend 'The Ginger' and does he perhaps like Ostriches?

You can apply as an individual. I did it about 2 years ago, paid a company to do it for me. Sent a bunch of docs off and I got my import permit in a few days.

Some questions on this:

• Is the permit a permanent thing, or do you have to re-apply every x years?
  • Once you have it (after the initial application), do you have to pay any yearly SARS fees?
  • Are there any benefits other than being able to exceed the R20000 / 3 parcel limit?

Thanks

Some questions on this:

• Are there any benefits other than being able to exceed the R20000 / 3 parcel limit?

Yes, probably an annual SARS rubber-glove audit when you submit your tax return...

Thanks

Not sure if there have been some changes to only allow companies in the meantime?

You can still apply as an individual. I did it about 10 weeks ago. Very quick and easy, took me about 2 hours in total (including driving to and from the airport). Then it took about 3 weeks to get the permit.

Some questions on this:

• Is the permit a permanent thing, or do you have to re-apply every x years?
  • Once you have it (after the initial application), do you have to pay any yearly SARS fees?

Thanks

• Yes, it's permanent
  • No, you don't have to pay anything
  • Not that I am aware of (also I didn't get chosen for audit when I submitted my tax return a few days ago)